SL55 AMG V8 Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
When you get get a decent E55K for 10k and sometimes less, an SL55 seems like lesser VFM to me

Spot on! :)

" The prices of SL55's have gone down not up over the last 5 years"

The P30 Performance Pack Cars have not...

Ref 37 Mercedes Benz SL55

That is one very nicely specced SL55. I’d never seen one with carbon interior trip , not surprised it fetched that money as someone thought it was exactly what they wanted in excellent condition :)

I know my SL55 is as close to mint (and originality - no chipping, no tweaking) as can be. All the legacy undesireables have been attended to, so why should the price (a mere couple of grand above the average asking price for one of these) be a stumbling block?

Could it actually be the “rare” colour? Personally it wouldn’t be for me and would be a deal breaker. you probably love it and that’s fine , but “rare” colours are usually rare for a reason, most folk don’t want one. Just a thought

I don't mind the colour so much but can see some might have an issue. I do have a mixed pearlescant Purple/Blue TVR though!

I think the best colour on an SL55 for me is a dark blue say Tanzanite with grey leather.

I think the best colour on an SL55 for me is a dark blue say Tanzanite with grey leather.

As my old CL55 and now my 216 Bi-Turbo is in that colour combination I couldn't agree more :) Although the 216 is Cavansite which replaced Tanzanite, very similar :D

chromaflair paintwork with designo leather...the official definition.

Well, I love SL55’s and I love the colour of the OP’s car but the value is the value I’m afraid - we’re in an age of “best price cash today” where people want to pay the absolute minimum without first knowing the condition of the thing they’re buying.

Like others have said, the value is probably nearer to £10k than it is £20k i.e. £12k as opposed to £18k...

It's 'cos they are like hen's teeth!

That one has only 16k miles from new, which would surely account for a large chunk of the asking price :)

That one has only 16k miles from new, which would surely account for a large chunk of the asking price :)

Probably been a garage queen since new with that mileage. Still a lot to pay for a 2007 SL though.

plus it’s 5 years newer and a facelift

Woah this is an interesting discussion !

SOme very blunt but realistic replies here

Im into my 10years + cars so ill waffle on abit here . hopefully makes sense

But I think some of these cars, as great as they are or were, need to drop in price and I think that time has actually come.

Standard non 'top of the range' cars are now keeping up with the sl55/m6/m5/cayenne turbo

For example m135 is around 12-14k with similar miles to an SL55/the above cars, but will be about 10 years newer, better fuel ecomony, better tax class sometimes and generally less to go wrong. its sort of a no brainer. As much as I like those older cars It just isnt worth it anymore

mk1 cayenne turbo 5.3 seconds to 60 - great? £10k ish or £16k for the 957 facelift... 10mpg £600 tax
or buy a bmw x3 or x4 35d (yes deisel) 0-60 n 5.3 i believe probably around the same price at the cayenne money

I know were not talking about cayenne turbo / m5 / m6 but these are all in the same category of old superfast cars which are priced high for those reasons ... but are they REALLY worth it?

plus the blob twin eye mercedes generation face is really far down the line now. I like them im a w203 fanboy but to the average car guy they are really old. Mercs have so manyfaces since then its crazy.

Answer is then to facelift the r230 and it will give it another 5 years of desirabilty as the 2009 face is similar to the w204 face / c63 which is still hanging in there (I think)

sl55 will be a classic. well all look back at these threads and kick ourselves. 10k isnt bad for that sort of power in a v8.

edit

Agree a big chunk of the asking price is probably in the low mileage so as soon as the miles go up the value goes down so less likely to be used anyway, which is a shame. :(

Woah this is an interesting discussion !

SOme very blunt but realistic replies here

Im into my 10years + cars so ill waffle on abit here . hopefully makes sense

But I think some of these cars, as great as they are or were, need to drop in price and I think that time has actually come.

Standard non 'top of the range' cars are now keeping up with the sl55/m6/m5/cayenne turbo

For example m135 is around 12-14k with similar miles to an SL55/the above cars, but will be about 10 years newer, better fuel ecomony, better tax class sometimes and generally less to go wrong. its sort of a no brainer. As much as I like those older cars It just isnt worth it anymore

mk1 cayenne turbo 5.3 seconds to 60 - great? £10k ish or £16k for the 957 facelift... 10mpg £600 tax
or buy a bmw x3 or x4 35d (yes deisel) 0-60 n 5.3 i believe probably around the same price at the cayenne money

I know were not talking about cayenne turbo / m5 / m6 but these are all in the same category of old superfast cars which are priced high for those reasons ... but are they REALLY worth it?

plus the blob twin eye mercedes generation face is really far down the line now. I like them im a w203 fanboy but to the average car guy they are really old. Mercs have so manyfaces since then its crazy.

Answer is then to facelift the r230 and it will give it another 5 years of desirabilty as the 2009 face is similar to the w204 face / c63 which is still hanging in there (I think)

sl55 will be a classic. well all look back at these threads and kick ourselves. 10k isnt bad for that sort of power in a v8.
I think some of this misses the point, afterall for the price of a second hand m135 you could by a brand new Dacia! But would you? It's not about the age of the car, it's about the car.

His point is the new generation of ‘hot’ hatches are outperforming the performance legends of only a decade or two ago.

Not sure a Dacia does that..

His point is the new generation of ‘hot’ hatches are outperforming the performance legends of only a decade or two ago.

Not sure a Dacia does that..
Performance isn't everything, when I look at buying a car I am interested in performance but also style, dynamics, build quality and a host of other things. What I'm trying to say is why would you buy a vintage Bentley when you can buy a much newer Ferrari for the same money, I think the answer is obvious.

Performance isn't everything, when I look at buying a car I am interested in performance but also style, dynamics, build quality and a host of other things. What I'm trying to say is why would you buy a vintage Bentley when you can buy a much newer Ferrari for the same money, I think the answer is obvious.

I wouldn’t buy a vintage Bentley over a newer Ferrari lol

Each to their own

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom