SL55 AMG V8 Kompressor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wouldn’t buy a vintage Bentley over a newer Ferrari lol

Each to their own
:) Probably not the best analogy but hopefully I got my point across that a "lesser" car that's comparable in price but newer isn't the best option for everyone.

:) Probably not the best analogy but hopefully I got my point across that a "lesser" car that's comparable in price but newer isn't the best option for everyone.

I understand, a bit like my W212, I could have got a much newer Hyundai for the price but it’s not comparable. :)

Shox makes an interesting point but non of the cars he claims are comparable are convertibles!

I'd have a 10-15 year old SL55 / M5 / M6 over a newer M135 / X3 :)eek:) all day long - no comparison! (imo of course :D)

I get that comparison if you're amongst the younger generation and still into the smaller hot hatches - or perhaps with young family so something more sensible / economical is required. However, if you're an old fart like me who prefers the original true performance saloons / tourers of the late 90's / early 00's, that's when cars had more character and were arguably more 'individual' than the majority of todays cars, then, as I say, there is no comparison. And they'll be a far better long term investment than your typical 'diesel' chuckle bus! :rolleyes:

I think we are all in agreement that cars will always be worth what the next buyer is prepared to pay, that will never change. However, those cars that are becoming harder to find in great condition, with sensible miles & backed up by a solid history file will always, in my mind, justify a premium - I for one would always buy the best that I can afford, not the cheapest one available just because I want to be in, for example, a C63. Hence why I went all the way to Edinburgh to secure my current car and arguably paid at the higher end for an 09 plate wagon :cool: (I know, what a mug!! lol)

SHOX - I think you have the wrong end of the stick.
For me - It's not about mass produced wolves in sheeps clothing (M135/M5/M6/whatever) it's about style, performance and above all, craftsmanship from an earlier age. It's also about rarity.
7000+ M135's and M5's (each) on the road!
The m135/m5/m6 look like any other mass produced sports car and if you don't know what to look for, you can easily mistake them for a run of the mill fleet car.

The car has to be quirky or stand out or have a great pedigree, or be beautifully built to be desirable. These attributes then occasionally support a following which makes the car a sought after classic over time.

Cobra - bang on:thumb:

How many SL55's were made out of interest? Are they quite rare?

It's funny as I've always seen a few SL55's over the years out on the roads. I've had the Chimaera out a bit last few weeks and there is 2609 licensed but I've hardly ever seen a TVR let alone a Chimaera on the roads often.

Even had a couple of people ask what it was as they had no idea.

TVR CHIMAERA - How Many Left?

AMGeed - what would you call rare then, bearing in mind they only made 1000 ish to start with? That is a small number of cars from a large manufacturer, wouldn't you say?
Rockits - funny you should say that...I keep my eye out for other SL55 Kompressors and see about 1 every 6 months if that!! And that's parked outside an Indy!!

It's funny as I've always seen a few SL55's over the years out on the roads. I've had the Chimaera out a bit last few weeks and there is 2609 licensed but I've hardly ever seen a TVR let alone a Chimaera on the roads often.

Even had a couple of people ask what it was as they had no idea.

TVR CHIMAERA - How Many Left?

Where they are all hiding?:dk:
I have only seen one.......... ever. And there are even more around than SL's.

Its funny, you only seem to notice a lot of models if you previously or currently own one.
In 5 years I've seen only 3 E55's in my area.

AMGeed - what would you call rare then, bearing in mind they only made 1000 ish to start with? That is a small number of cars from a large manufacturer, wouldn't you say?
Rockits - funny you should say that...I keep my eye out for other SL55 Kompressors and see about 1 every 6 months if that!! And that's parked outside an Indy!!

I'd say limited edition cars are rare, like the C63 507 's or any of the Black series Mercedes.

Your SL55 and my E55 aren't rare. They were a mass produced car albeit in smaller numbers.

They were a mass produced car albeit in smaller numbers"

Uh? That doesn't make sense......

I don't call 1000 cars mass produced. MB produce a 1000 cars each day.......
The F1 and SL65 however, are very rare indeed.

Worldwide.....
2002-2006 19,022
2006-2008 2553
Thanks. Not so rare then. Bit different to my old SL60 with circa 300 euro cars of roughly 250 LHD and 50 RHD.

Where they are all hiding?:dk:
I have only seen one.......... ever. And there are even more around than SL's.

Its funny, you only seem to notice a lot of models if you previously or currently own one.
In 5 years I've seen only 3 E55's in my area.
Many TVR's don't do many miles I'd suggest and many don't drive them in the wet for obvious reasons. Ask me how I know!

Funny that TVR weren't a mainstream mass produced car but they made so many Chimaera's at the time. Still not many I guess compared to the SL55 I guess.

They were a mass produced car albeit in smaller numbers"

Uh? That doesn't make sense......

I don't call 1000 cars mass produced. MB produce a 1000 cars each day.......
The F1 and SL65 however, are very rare indeed.

Lets agree to disagree Zoros.
I think you know what I meant. Over 21k Sl55s were built. That doesn't make them rare to me.
If you still think an SL55 is a rare car, be my guest.

A rare AMG SL is the SL65, just 3055 built between 2004 and 2010.

The highest production was the SL500, they built more of the 500's than all the other R230 SL's combined.

I think my personal definition of a rare car is one produced in tens or hundreds. As soon as you go thousands it starts to lose that rarity for me

It's all relative surely.
Against a Focus the SL55 is rare, less common call it what you will. I can't imagine any of us see more than 1 or 2 regularly. The issue maybe further muddied by the fact that there are lots of other SL models that look the same but aren't quite. That goes to the mass produced but a top spec model theory.
On reflection I see plenty of 211 e class cars but far fewer SLs.
Its a main stream car from a major manufacturer and now its old so numbers are depleted. A friend of mine has 2 rover r8s. These used to be 10 a penny but when did you see one last? Different reasons granted but time plays its part.
Now for rare you need to differentiate between a model of a range and a car in its entirety. SL65 are thin on the ground but are an SL.
Other cars were just made in tiny numbers for various reasons but clearly they weren't popular when new irrespective of how they are seen now.
My Caterham, as an example, is rare by anyone's standard. They made 48, or maybe 49 depending on who you speak to. I have never seen another on the road.
The reason - lots but mainly it wasn't quite what was planned and a thing called the Elise.
Oh and I saw a very nice burgundy Chimaera driving past Sainsburys in Christchurch last weekend.

Mr Zoros - a 1998 944...are you sure?

My XC90 SE Lux V8 is rare but doesn't make it worth any more. Happy if someone wants to pay a premium when it goes up for sale at the end of the month though!

VOLVO XC90 LUX SE V8 AWD A - How Many Left?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom