SL65 in Almandine Black... nice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love this example albeit it's a bit pricey although I know they are quite rare:

You can see it on Harry's Garage latest youtube video. Absolutely sunning in that colour, especially with the ☀☀ out

If it had Distronic i would have been very interested :)

Last edited:
You can see it on Harry's Garage latest youtube video. Absolutely sunning in that colour, especially with the ☀☀ out

If it had Distronic i would have been very interested :)
It looks lovely 😊. The Merak is a beauty as well, one of my favourite cars ever. I’m not a fan of the two tone paint job though. Hmmm.

Cheers,

Gaz

It'll be interesting to see where prices end up at the auction.

Yes, as the other 65 didn't reach it's reserve and put A Buy Now for £41,000

OK, go easy on me, what was so special about the SL65 ? I'm not familiar?

Be gentle with me: give me the pitch for the V12 over the V8: the need for the 600 horses instead of just 563 ?

I'm scratching my head at why this SL65 is worth £50k plus fees (on a car with 13k miles), when you can buy a well specced 2018 SL63 on 5k miles for £65k (as my neighbour has just done)

Mike, you can apply the same logic to just about everything. Why have a 63 when 500 can do? And so on and so forth...

Me, I'd like to think about it this way:

MB spent time and vast resources first making this engine, then fitting it into a smaller SL chassis. Back in 2003 no other Mercedes engine could produce 612bhp out of the box so the comparison to modern tech engines is a little unfair (especially with the V12 still being far more powerful).

Then there's the firing order. I can't care less for the played out "rumble" of the V8 (as if there's nothing better). Give me the natural smoothness of the symmetrically firing V12 any day.

And finally, there's this. No other engine in MB history has enjoyed such a prolonged run as the M275. And it's still being made, albeit under the M279 moniker.

Just put 10k miles on mine since buying it last July. It makes an excellent daily driver. I recommend it to everyone.

Mike, you can apply the same logic to just about everything. Why have a 63 when 500 can do? And so on and so forth...

I wasn't dissing it, I was just asking for a pitch of the big benefits, beyond the simple V12 rather than V8.

I've been wondering about the V12's for an age, I'm just looking to the list of features and benefits.

In a way I understand the valuation of the SL65 more readily than I understand a two year old, low mileage SL63 being worth "just" £65k

Last edited:
Here's the Harry's garage clip: just a minute or so, skip to 25 minutes in to see the SL65 in glorious colour:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Harry's comment on the car? "Weapon grade"

Sold for £61,600.00 + 10% + VAT. I didn't expect that price.

Wowsers, someone reeeeaaaallh wanted that. A punchy price has been paid, but as the saying goes, “find me another”.

£90k of depreciation in 13k miles :thumb:

If you want the very best I reckon it’s a fair price :cool:

That is indeed all the money, & way too deep for my pockets. Still a lovely car, though.

Cheers,

Gaz

Wowsers, someone reeeeaaaallh wanted that. A punchy price has been paid, but as the saying goes, “find me another”.

Well, there's this one, in the same colour, for £50k

7fa75b6f61784c07bda4f4dcd3ebd74e.jpg

0abf9ae524b4475695c42f7136608ee2.jpg

This last one ^^^ does seem better value at £50k that one if straight and legit!

Last edited:
As is almost always the case, you get what you pay for.

The Silverstone car looks and sounds totally mint. The Autotrader one, whilst no doubt in good used condition isn’t quite the same as the other one, with a third of the mileage, nor is it in such original condition (wheels, exhaust etc)

Compare the MOT history of the two cars. There’s your answer :thumb:

A 20% premium for the very best isn’t really too bad IMHO :cool:

Interesting to note the Autotrader car’s seller states it’s the only one in Europe in that colour, and that it is perfect in every way :)

Yes, those wheels are terrible + Alloywheels Direct are saying not available for the SL/CL 65 and £5,600 for the SL/CL 55 !!

Apologies. They do have them, i was looking at the ET for the CL not the SL :rolleyes:

Very tasty car and sounds even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom