SLS strut issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Uberwagon

Car
1991 500E
I have a knock from the rear suspension strut on the right rear, it knocks when you drive and sits 15mm higher on that side.

When the car is bounced on its suspension you can feel that the noise is internal to the strut. When I cracked the oil feed to it there seemed to be air in the oil but the last time it was open was 5 years ago.

The car handles nicely still but I'm sure this is evidence of a strut failing, does anyone have experience of these going on the estates etc?

The car is a 1991 500E with 224,000km on it. The rear spheres, top mounts were replaced roughly 5 years ago.

Dave!

I've seen bent struts. If you put the car on a ramp and use a transmission jack to lift the rear wheels in turn you may find the offending side goes up & down in steps. That's a bent strut..

On the estates there's a bearing at the foot of the strut. They ted to dry up & creak. I assume the 500 is similar. If you replace the strut I'd replace the bearing and the top rubber mount as well

Nick froome

My first thought would be that it might be a sphere , since if the membrane ruptures you will lose all damping on that side ; it would also allow the gas to escape into the system , which would normally bleed out but might account for what you found ?

Spheres are cheaper than struts , so might be worth trying first ?

Your description sounds like a flat sphere, apart from the car being higher that side. I don't understand that.

I'd like to think the sphere would be ok as it was a Merc part and has barely done any miles. It would be the cheaper option though so is worth investigating as it does make sense.

I'll try tofind a way of testing the sphere when it's off car.

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom