Snooper

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
I had a very interesting and informative conversation (thanks B) at Bicester yesterday about Snooper.

I had always assumed that this type of device was illegal, but it appears not.

They seem a bit of a no brainer, as I might accidentally stray a couple of mph over the limit occasionally.

Are there any other members that have used one and what are your experiences/limitations?

Yes, I know I can save £150 by sticking to the speed limits, thanks :thumb:.

Snooper 3Zero GPS & Radar/Laser Detector - Speed Trap Detection

I was under the impression that with the speed guns used today if the Snooper detects then it's pretty much already too late.

I was under the impression that with the speed guns used today if the Snooper detects then it's pretty much already too late.

Unless you purchase State of the Art Stinger VIP, I hear they are the absolute nuts and will more than pay for themselves if you're a little heavy on the throttle ;)

Just something I heard :D

I think it's an ugly thing to leave stuck to your dash, and it'll probably get your window smashed by some toerag wanting to steal it. If you take it out every time, it's going to become a chore.

Also, surely these detect the radar gun's radio waves hitting the car, and sound off to you, to slow down, but those radio waves still bounced back off your car to the speed trap, so they'd still get a reading?

As the speed radar guns need to see the car moving for a second or two to calculate it's speed, it only gives you a very brief moment to drop your speed down to below legal speed limit, so that the average across the distance it started, and finished measuring is an average of a legal speed... :dk:

I heard that if the wave was blocked, the Officer would receive an error code and need to reset his device taking approx. 5 seconds, giving the driver enough time to slow down to a legal speed and the Officer then, once reset, receives a reading which is what the driver wants to avert being pulled over ;)

Just something I heard :)

John, one thing that's missing is support for Truvelo cameras. They use a hidden wire in the road to detect your speed by passive means so that detector will not be able to say the GPS located camera is active or not? Don't want you getting into a false sense of security.

Personally, I wouldn't buy one. The fixed and mobile camera 'detection' is nothing more than GPS plotted sites that are available on any sat-nag. The laser can check a very long way out indeed with the right conditions so the hope is that someone else is targeted close enough for the Snooper to detect. The ones that block signals (allegedly) are not the ones you want to be caught using…………perverting course of justice is jail time, every time.

This was my understanding as well - it may give you enough warning regarding a radar, but once it detects the laser beam it is too late.

The explanation is that radar has side lobes which can be detected well before the sensor enters the main beam area, but laser is highly focused so there is nothing to detect until you are under the laser beam.

The laser gun may need a couple of seconds to work out the speed based on the Doppler effect, but with driver's reaction time included you will not be able to reduce your speed in time.

Incidentally... I don't use any speed camera POIs or other detection device, I just avoid speeding...

I had a cheap version of one of these things once. It drove me to distraction, picking up stray signals from all over the place, especially in town. I junked it. Sticking to the limits is the most cost-effective option.:crazy:

John

Move to Kent. The two traffic cops left here have no time for motoring offenses (unless you are speeding in the McDonalds car park). Also you can save money on having no Insurance, Tax or Driving License.

As above really. Fixed cameras (and known mobile camera sites) can be warned of via satnav. Mobile traps nowadays are nearly all Laser, which is a very narrow beam with minimal 'scatter' to be picked up by vehicles other than the one being targetted (which has already been recorded, by the time a detector goes off).

One other thing - detectors (and GPS-based warnings) ARE illegal in some other European countries (even if switched off). So you can be in trouble if pulled over for any reason and you have one fitted.

Laser | Stinger UK

It definitely works............from what I've heard :)

Well I guess if it definately works there must be a money back guarantee if you get caught speeding then?

Cannot actually find that bit on the web site.....odd, must have been an administrive error. :rolleyes:

I used to use one of the tr30 gps based speed detectors with the laser detector add on mounted in the window.
It worked well enough but did no more that a speed camera database I have on my tomtom sat nav.
As for the laser detector add on, it never went off in anger even when I went past laser speed detectors being used but did go off all the time if the windscreen was covered in ice and the sun was out.

I still have it here, somewhere, but stopped using it as my tomtom speed camera database works just as well for a lower yearly subscription charge.

I have a Talex receiver in the 211 which gives advanced warning of fixed cameras and also, where possible known mobile sites might be. I have it mounted on a bracket next the RVM and wired to permanent ign +ve.
I didn't bring it with me to Bicester and may have been clocked by a Truvelo on the Northampton bypass :(.
If these things are triggered by a buried wire (as per post #7)does anyone know how far ahead of the camera location that is?
At least with a Gatso you have a chance to get the speed off before you pass it.
If I'd brought the Talex it would have given me a couple of hundred yds warning.
The TamTam warning is not loud or explicit enough for me. The Talex is definitive, loud and persistent if you (stupidly) choose to ignore it.

Last edited:
Well I guess if it definately works there must be a money back guarantee if you get caught speeding then?

Cannot actually find that bit on the web site.....odd, must have been an administrive error. :rolleyes:

I heard this guy (who has the complete kit fitted) has been hit by 4 lasers, 2 in UK and 2 in Germany and it "definitely" (spellcheck helps :rolleyes: ) worked

That "money back guarantee" you're on about I guess has already paid for itself :thumb:

Druk said:
I have a Talex receiver in the 211 which gives advanced warning of fixed cameras and also, where possible known mobile sites might be. I have it mounted on a bracket next the RVM and wired to permanent ign +ve. I didn't bring it with me to Bicester and may have been clocked by a Truvelo on the Northampton bypass :(. If these things are triggered by a buried wire (as per post #7)does anyone know how far ahead of the camera location that is? At least with a Gatso you have a chance to get the speed off before you pass it. If I'd brought the Talex it would have given me a couple of hundred yds warning. The TamTam warning is not loud or explicit enough for me. The Talex is definitive, loud and persistent if you (stupidly) choose to ignore it. .

No speed cameras working in Northampton they have all been turned off ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom