Camera/Radar Detectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have no need for any sort of Speed Trap device being a good boy and all that! :cool:

I have a Telex and need to upgrade it. I don't trust their database to still be in business once I've paid my cash. My question for you all is...what are the dimensions of the various units you all extol. I have the Talex mounted on a small bracket coming off the rearviewmirror and hard wired to the ignition. No wires and no battery to charge but it is in a quite confined space.

Would a Road Angel or Pogo fit?

You can mount the Pogo 3 different ways, although the window suction mount is an extra. It has a battery but mine is always plugged into the 12v socket, like a Talex would be. .

You can mount the Pogo 3 different ways, although the window suction mount is an extra. It has a battery but mine is always plugged into the 12v socket, like a Talex would be. .

Thanks. Sometime can you measure the height of the case of the Pogo please. Can't find dimensions for it.

Thanks. Sometime can you measure the height of the case of the Pogo please. Can't find dimensions for it.

From the specifications on pogogps.com, It was quicker than going outside to measure, which I'll check tomorrow if you want me to, mine sits in a cup holder.

57mm (w) x 50mm (h) x 23mm (d)

No, that's great thanks. You have better eyes than me Sherlock. :D

What are these units like for advance warning of possible camera sites? Sometimes the Talex will give plenty warning but other times it would be far too late and it's obvious that the camera would be sited just a hundred or so yds further on.

Interestingly the pogo website makes nice claims about the auto express review of the product -well at the very least quoting it as if to say they recommend it. However, a short bit of googling at it seems that they ranked it last in their review with the Road angel Gem winning the test.

I never understand these things though since they say, if money is no object its the one to go for, but then rank it last...

Last edited:
What are these units like for advance warning of possible camera sites? Sometimes the Talex will give plenty warning but other times it would be far too late and it's obvious that the camera would be sited just a hundred or so yds further on.

I called the snooper folk, and they said that their unit warns of areas where there are often mobile speed detector vans as a high risk area. I dont really like the interface though, so I'd be interested in what the others do also

Thew latest COMAND manuals for 2013 pdfs state that it is possible to load personal POI's via an SD card into COMAND. And since POI's can have both visual and audible proximity alerts programmed, it would seem that for the latest systems, there is now no reason to buy another unit. Of course, if you have an older unit and the software / hardware cannot be upgraded then this won't apply. Until I read this thread I never realised COMAND couldn't store camera POI's. My 2007 garmin navigation unit and kenwood screen on the other hand has seen numerous software upgrades over the years and has the latest available maps. MB never cease to amaze me how they do some things so well and completely stuff up others.

I had a Talex, and for the money it's a good unit, the Novus is very much the same and has updates for life, its a faff to update compaired, both units work well but the data base it not so up-to-date. With the Pogo you can set the distance or time you would like to be alerted to a camera.

I called the snooper folk, and they said that their unit warns of areas where there are often mobile speed detector vans as a high risk area. I dont really like the interface though, so I'd be interested in what the others do also

The only thing the Pogo does not alert to is Red traffic light camera's.

MB never cease to amaze me how they do some things so well and completely stuff up others.

That's not just MB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom