Snow Chains on W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I bought 17" wheels from TyreLeader, following Stevehg's lead. They cost me about £280 delivered Plus Pirelli sottozero M&S tyres (MO spec) @ £463.

Total outlay £745 plus fitting - and don't forget TPMS if fitted.

Steve

I bought 17" wheels from TyreLeader, following Stevehg's lead. They cost me about £280 delivered Plus Pirelli sottozero M&S tyres (MO spec) @ £463.

Total outlay £745 plus fitting - and don't forget TPMS if fitted.

Steve
I'm not sure if I've got TPMS or not - I know when I picked up the car from the dealer at the weekend, they'd put new tyres on the rears and I got a 'reset pressure' message come up, so does that mean I've got it??

If so, what's the cost of the sensors, and what happens if I don't put them on?

I'm thinking the 17" may be the best compromise.

TPMS - you can get some generic "programmable" sensors from:

Schrader EZ-Sensor TPMS European Type Clamp In Valve 433 mhz

These cost about £40 +VAT & P&P - Worth noting that Schrader are OEM to Mercedes.

You would need to check yourself if these are actually suitable for your car.

It would appear that you do have them as you have that message come up. Again you would be best to confirm the details of your system worth asking for a Chassis number check on here.

What happens if you don't fit them - well:

1. You will get the warning message every time you start up;
2. You may be in contravention of the requirement to have them - If you have them and they are not working correctly then that is an MOT failure;
3. Your Insurance may take a view should you be involved in an accident and they discovered that they were not working.

Most of this I have observed and researched on the web, I have not actually taken delivery of my car yet.

HTH

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve for the TPMS info - looked like it was going to add considerable cost to the wheels... however, the car had to go back to the dealer for what I thought was an issue with the balancing of the wheels (more on that in a bit), which gave me the opportunity to check with the technician what was fitted to the car - I have the 'run flat' system (standard I believe), which just determines if you have a flat tyre (no sensors in the wheel which check actual pressures) - He also advised the best way to tell between the two without having access to the menu's etc. He said if the valve is rubber you do not have full TPMS, if the valve is metal then you do have it.

On the subject of the balancing issue - I noticed a vibration above 65 mph, during it's inaugural trip down the motorway to show the new motor to my parents. I assumed it was a balancing issue due to the dealer (very kindly) putting on a brand new set of Conti's. But after taking it in today they did a load of checks and established two of the wheels (front left, back right) were warped....dealer is replacing them FOC next week. So glad I got it from a main dealer, but at the same time, concerned it slipped through their vetting process (as was the head tech!)

Back to snow chains... I'm going to get a set of 17" tyres/wheels from tyreleader, and the cheapest set of chains I can find just to satisfy the Gendarmes!

I was thinking black alloys - opinions? - car is Iridium Silver

Glad You got your wheels sorted good result and well done to the dealer.

As for Black wheels, I am not a great fan - they remind me too much of steel wheels without the hubcaps. Just me I guess.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom