So, the beginning of the ownership of my first Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SDF Mart

Car
C180 Esprit
As said in previous posts, I have just bought a C180 Esprit Auto (W202). It is a good example with 133k and FMBSH up to 100k. So far I am totally loving it, not surprising as I had a vintage Clio (gap filling car) before. Obviously being a 16 year old car it has certain problems, these are what I have found so far:
  • Central locking not working. No pump in the boot so not surprised there.
  • corrosion, boot floor, rear arch and inner wings. work in progress.
  • Heater constantly on hot, despite the control setting (dual zone, not climate control). Probably the duo valve?
  • Heated rear window not working, although the switch lights up when pressed.
  • Electric mirrors not working, fuse ok.
  • Gear change lumpy unless going uphill or giving it welly (as much as you can in a 1.8)
  • Whine from the back axle between 40 and 50 and when decelerating, on deceleration it is similar to the noise from an overworn brake pad, grinding sound.

That's about it really, nothing untoward but definitely something to make sure attention is given.

As said in previous posts, I have just bought a C180 Esprit Auto (W202). It is a good example with 133k and FMBSH up to 100k. So far I am totally loving it, not surprising as I had a vintage Clio (gap filling car) before. Obviously being a 16 year old car it has certain problems, these are what I have found so far:
  • Central locking not working. No pump in the boot so not surprised there.
  • corrosion, boot floor, rear arch and inner wings. work in progress.
  • Heater constantly on hot, despite the control setting (dual zone, not climate control). Probably the duo valve?
  • Heated rear window not working, although the switch lights up when pressed.
  • Electric mirrors not working, fuse ok.
  • Gear change lumpy unless going uphill or giving it welly (as much as you can in a 1.8)
  • Whine from the back axle between 40 and 50 and when decelerating, on deceleration it is similar to the noise from an overworn brake pad, grinding sound.

That's about it really, nothing untoward but definitely something to make sure attention is given.

thats a lot of problems for a 202, tell me you got it for like 500 quid or so.. i had 156k on mine and it dident even have a spot of rust....
your gear change shouldn't be lumpy.. if its not the ATF then its the control plate id think.. anyway mate hope you get it sorted...

thats a lot of problems for a 202, tell me you got it for like 500 quid or so.. i had 156k on mine and it dident even have a spot of rust....
your gear change shouldn't be lumpy.. if its not the ATF then its the control plate id think.. anyway mate hope you get it sorted...

i was thinking the same thing

£500 on the nose. There is stuff to do but that's all there is. To be fair, the corrosion is mostly surface and not severe, just present. It has 51 weeks MOT, so it's not all bad.

How did it get the MOT with them brake pads?

I think the OP was indicating it was a noise from the rear axle similar to a worn brake noise, not that it was the brakes themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom