Some git broke my mirror...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonsMerc

MB Enthusiast
Car
Merc S212 E350 CDI BlueEfficiency Sport 256bhp, Suzuki GSX-650F, Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Dynamic
We parked on the road for a short while yesterday, and some total unmentionable knocked off the passenger side mirror and drove away without leaving a card or anything.

The mirror is electrically folding, adjustable and heated/dimming, with built in indicators. I've been piecing it back together (to use for now while I source a replacement), and I have it all working except for the heating/dimming (not sure which it is).

So, a couple of questions. First, the bottom left of this photo shows where a bit of plastic is snapped off. Any idea on what that was? As far as I can work out, it's not part of holding the mirror together...I'd dearly love to know what is snapped there!

(continued in next post)

Last edited:
Secondly in this photo are two wires connecting to the mirror glass itself, obviously for heating or dimming. Which way round should they go?

Last edited:
On the plus side, the motor seems fine and works, and I was able to connect the indicator up and it works OK. The folding doesn't work, but we never really used that anyway (we park on the driveway always, and I don't remember whether it ever worked or not).

The external housing is cracked, as is the indicator plastic bit outside - I used superglue on those for now, and it all holds together. I have a quote from the local Merc dealer for £106+vat for this (they call it the "backing") in the correct colour to match the car - does anyone know if this is something that can be sourced cheaper elsewhere?

Many thanks for any help you can offer :)

-simon

Either, they're for the heating.

Does not look to be a dimming mirror?

Oh perfect, thanks, will connect up either way then (perhaps it's just the inside and driver side that dims then?).

Lesson to learn: always fold in the mirrors no matter how short your parking on the road for. When you have electric folding mirrors, you dont even need to get out the car to do it! You can also set it to auto fold when locking the car via the cluster menu if you wish to do so.

Last edited:
If you have dimming mirrors, they only work on rear-view and driver side mirror.

There are many MB breakers round the country (try a Search on here) who may well be able to provide you with a reasonable replacement, even if you have to get the backing colour-matched.

Lesson to learn: always fold in the mirrors no matter how short your parking on the road for. When you have electric folding mirrors, you dont even need to get out the car to do it! You can also set it to auto fold when locking the car via the cluster menu if you wish to do so.

You learn summat every day! I didn't know that so am going to give it a try on mine. Great stuff :bannana:

I have mine to fold when I press the alarm, good thing too as that way I know its locked.

The amount of times we keep our cars unlooked on the drive works a treat

My wife (main driver of the car) confirmed that the folding has not worked for many years, so not much she should have done.

What really upsets me is that people will do something like this and just drive off. The one time I scratched a parked car (a beautiful old bentley as luck would have it!), I write a note with an apology and my phone number. In my case, a very pleasant gentleman called me and thanked me for the note, but said that he was going to get the car resprayed anyway so I needn't worry about it, but if I wanted to I could donate some money to a charity he supported (a good cause so I was happy to). But even if I had had to pay the full cost or go via insurance, I would have - I was my fault, the other car was parked...

TBH I always turn my auto fold off during the winter in case a wire snaps due to it getting brittle in very low temps. About time to turn this back on I think :thumb:

If you have dimming mirrors, they only work on rear-view and driver side mirror.

Had been wondering about this as I only noticed recently that the nearside is plain glass.

Cheers :thumb:

Suggest you use a modern browser which will automatically resize them for you, or upgrade that old 800x600 CRT you are using :)

I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a 2 y.o. flat screen.

I'd suggest you have a short memory. We've been down this road once already & you've already been given a slap for what is, frankly, lazy behaviour on your part.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/264711-post19.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driving-incidents-roadrage/28359-wing-mirrors-who-needs-them.html

The problem is created at your end & the onus is on you to fix it.

I'm using the latest version of Firefox on a 2 y.o. flat screen.

I'd suggest you have a short memory. We've been down this road once already & you've already been given a slap for what is, frankly, lazy behaviour on your part.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/264711-post19.html

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/driving-incidents-roadrage/28359-wing-mirrors-who-needs-them.html

The problem is created at your end & the onus is on you to fix it.

Wow. That was five years ago. (And yes these are the same mirrors). This time I uploaded photos from an iPhone 3GS, which didn't exist in those days, and I didn't resize them because it's not a camera, its a Mobile Phone.

In any case...I have a short memory? I would say rather that you have a ridiculously long one for trivial issues. If you feel strongly about it, feel free not to look at this thread again. If a mod feels strongly about it, feel free to delete the images.

Neil, congratulations. For the first time ever on mbclub (after being here many years, lurking and then posting), I'm going to find and use the "ignore" function. (It *might* not actually be the first time, it might just be so long since I needed it that I've forgotten, but if so I won't see your post explaining that so save yourself the trouble).

-simon

Simon,

The point is well made. I have a 24" screen and the pics are too wide even for that. It would be helpful if you just tried to keep within the restrictions on the forum instead of getting on your high horse about it.

Simon,

The point is well made. I have a 24" screen and the pics are too wide even for that. It would be helpful if you just tried to keep within the restrictions on the forum instead of getting on your high horse about it.

There are no restrictions on image sizes posted to this forum. If there were, the images would not have been posted. The software used by the forum enables forum administrators to explicitly specify restrictions on the size of posted images. The administrators of this forum have chosen not to do so. When you click to upload an image, it clearly states that there are no limits...

-simon

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 18.06.32.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-25 at 18.06.32.png
    40 KB · Views: 52
There are no restrictions on image sizes posted to this forum. If there were, the images would not have been posted. The software used by the forum enables forum administrators to explicitly specify restrictions on the size of posted images. The administrators of this forum have chosen not to do so. When you click to upload an image, it clearly states that there are no limits...

-simon

Errr.....good point well presented :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom