• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Sony HD TVs

stats007

MB Enthusiast
Car
575M
I am thinking about getting one of these - purely because brand new it will only cost me £400. Is it worth it or should I opt for this which is twice the price?

The second option. Even at twice the price it's still an absolute bargain - but even if you decide you want the first - can I please buy the second?:p

By the look of the picture (and the fact that it is rear projection), the cheaper one will take up twice the space.

HDTV seems to be a very rapidly developing technology. Because of that, if you spend £400 now you wont feel so sick if it is outdated in a few months and you want to change it for something better.

BTW, this wonderful free advice is coming from someone who is sticking to his 32" CRT until all the fuss dies down. :)

Heard mixed reports about the 40 inch Sony. Without the HDI input to "fill" the screen picture wasnt that hot according to one buyer who was threatening to take it back ? Just anecdotal evidence sorry. I would certainly like to see a terrestrial/ freeview broadcast signal on it before buying.

Last edited:
Umm, buy the second one if you can afford it - and if you do, could I please buy the first one for £400? I have the space (currently have a very old RPTV), and I just don't have the money for an LCD or plasma! Need to buy a replacement for the dying Toshiba...

-simon

I'm at panic stations with mine at the moment. My trusty Hitachi CRT is on the blink an i looked at the Sony Bravia... so until it dies i'm waiting on eveyone elses opinions... let us know when you get one:p

£800 for a 40" LCD, yes please!

the second one is a cracking buy - i like the look of the bravia range

I would go for the second one. Never liked rear projection TV's much.

You might also want to consider an up-scaling DVD player. These take bog standard DVD's and shove extra lines in to enable full use of the extra resolution. Sony one is about 180 quid.

Works a bit like the Phillips Pixel Plus feature on my CRT TV which interpolates extra lines to push the resolution up to 833 lines (about 735 visible).

I've ordered the 50" - the reasoning being it's so cheap and I really just watch sport etc - DVDs not too bothered about. Its native resolution is standard HD so no issue of scaling if I do plug in a 720p signal. I'll get a proper cinema setup in a few years when HD broadcasts are in full swing and the Blu Ray / HD-DVD issue has resolved. The 40" Bravia was very tempting mind you!

stats007 said:
I am thinking about getting one of these - purely because brand new it will only cost me £400. Is it worth it or should I opt for this which is twice the price?

I am so far behind on my Sky+ viewing, it is unbelievable. Last night I watched the Gadget Show and they reviewed three HD TV's. All were flat screen though. The first was the Sony model you have linked to (not sure about the size) the second was an Hitachi and the third was the latest LG.

First place went to the Hitachi, second LG and third went to the Sony. It certainly was not a scientific test. They used the same high definition DVD or was it a tape?? and all three TV's had the brand name hidden. The Sony picture was described as being too much like a computer image, the LG lacked brilliance in the colours and the Hitachi picture was JUST a little bit better than the LG. They also stated that no CRT TV is capable of HD, so although none of the above examples were perfect a HD picture is still stunning.

If you can get a flat screen Sony at a very reasonable price, then go for it. I am going to wait until things settle.

John

stats007 said:
The 40" Bravia was very tempting mind you!

So is there any danger of the rest of us getting a look in at the price you suggested?

glojo said:
I am so far behind on my Sky+ viewing, it is unbelievable. Last night I watched the Gadget Show and they reviewed three HD TV's. All were flat screen though. The first was the Sony model you have linked to (not sure about the size) the second was an Hitachi and the third was the latest LG.

First place went to the Hitachi, second LG and third went to the Sony. It certainly was not a scientific test. They used the same high definition DVD or was it a tape?? and all three TV's had the brand name hidden. The Sony picture was described as being too much like a computer image, the LG lacked brilliance in the colours and the Hitachi picture was JUST a little bit better than the LG. They also stated that no CRT TV is capable of HD, so although none of the above examples were perfect a HD picture is still stunning.

If you can get a flat screen Sony at a very reasonable price, then go for it. I am going to wait until things settle.

John

Hitachi have been making good TV's for a long time, for some reason they don't seem to figure much these days, maybe they don't spend so much on advertsing, who knows......

stats can you clear out your PM's your mailbox is full - cheers

So you work for Sony or an affiliate?

User BAsmar also got the same offers recently and opted for the 400 quid model and is loving it. Very pleased with it, although I don't think he's using it for HD yet.

I believe that these were a result of the enormous 'over-ordering' **** up at Sony. They obviously thought that the UK was going to win the world cup and that everyone would want a brand new HDTV to watch it on.

Oops.

where or how you getting one that cheap? Thats less than half the best price I seen advertised.

Are you giving extras with the 800 sheckles?:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom