• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Spotted this.......

Typing error I meant 210....now corrected.

Beat it in every single way, with torque and speed, economy, smoothness etc. Only thing missing will be the sound.

I drive a 500bhp V8 which gets single figure Mpg and is beaten by any modern car to 30 😁 sounds amazing though!

Progress is progress.
But that's only your opinion, and that's subjective. I'd choose that 5.8 converted C-Class over any single diesel engined vehicle available to this day, because I despise them. All but the fanciest diesels wouldn't kill it in performance terms either; 400bhp in an S202 will be no slouch, if anything it'd be the transmission holding it back rather than power or torque. Smoothness? The M113 with healthy engine mounts is silly smooth as you know, I think that's a moot comparison Fuel economy? Meh! 😜

To my earlier point though, quicker to 60mph doesn't make a car better. I don't want multiple driver modes, big TFT screens, 12 different suspensions settings or different coloured LEDs for the footwells. I want to get in and drive, simpler is better to me. I love the look of the 202, how it drives and the idea of slightly more power. That makes it better to me than a whole host of more modern stuff, diesel or otherwise.

Me too.....but I never could get my head around the 210 headlights/front end on the one above.....just does not match the rest of the car. Same way I feel about the early CLS models with those odd headlights.......but beauty is in the eye etc.....
I've a soft spot for the W210, I've had a few over the years from an E240 to E55 AMG and never had an ounce of trouble with any of them. The styling is definitely divisive, but always think they're quite a handsome motor in the right spec.

But that's only your opinion, and that's subjective. I'd choose that 5.8 converted C-Class over any single diesel engined vehicle available to this day, because I despise them. All but the fanciest diesels wouldn't kill it in performance terms either; 400bhp in an S202 will be no slouch, if anything it'd be the transmission holding it back rather than power or torque. Smoothness? The M113 with healthy engine mounts is silly smooth as you know, I think that's a moot comparison Fuel economy? Meh! 😜

To my earlier point though, quicker to 60mph doesn't make a car better. I don't want multiple driver modes, big TFT screens, 12 different suspensions settings or different coloured LEDs for the footwells. I want to get in and drive, simpler is better to me. I love the look of the 202, how it drives and the idea of slightly more power. That makes it better to me than a whole host of more modern stuff, diesel or otherwise.

Of course its only my opinion, thats how forums/discussions work - its not gospel! :)

I love the W202 also, ive had 3!

What im getting at, is that progress happens and older supercars/super saloons arent what they once were when you take off rose tinted glasses. :thumb:

Of course its only my opinion, thats how forums/discussions work - its not gospel! :)

I love the W202 also, ive had 3!

What im getting at, is that progress happens and older supercars/super saloons arent what they once were when you take off rose tinted glasses. :thumb:
Oh without a doubt, like for like you can't deny progress. I appreciate older stuff though because I enjoy their limitations, a simpler time.

All down to your expectations, but you can't engineer in emotion.

Hens teeth 🦄

I’d love a 5.8 in any model. I remember seeing a C 3.8 S many years ago, and I‘ve not seen another one since.
Brabus stuff of that era is properly few and far between, the costs even in comparison to AMG were horrendous! The full model conversions seem to only exist in 2s or 3s. Like the W210 EV12 or W140 7.3S. Spending mega money on a C Class in the 90s must've made very little financial sense! Especially once you could buy a C36 or C43 from the dealer with a warranty and the usual "mainstream" conveniences. I think it's why the full Lorinser and Carlsson W202 conversions are so scarce as well.

Although in this case (CLS Rocket), a genuine 230 mph saloon is still something of a rarity.

Despite a decade of progress - and in real terms closer to 15 years of progress as the previous generation Rocket started this particular party trick - I’m struggling to think of a car which you can buy brand new today which can carry four people and luggage at a genuine 230 mph.

Koenigsegg will start delivering Gemera this year (hopefully) which will comfortably go faster four-up but I’m nowhere near to the front of the list, and it will sound nowhere near as good. 😁

I remember being in awe of Brabuses in the 90s. At a wedding in Germany I met the uncle of the bride, wealthy car guy, who had one of the very limited 90s Brabus models outside. It was much more impressive than having a 355 or 456 Ferrari and more expensive also.

But, I do wonder if Killerhertz is right about the way they drive. Did their traction support their power? Was the steering and handling any good? Or were they just straight line autobahn stormers?

Even if the handling was sorted, would they feel brilliant still now? I redrove an E28 M5 quite recently in Germany at a BMW event. This was a monumental car back then. It just felt a bit unremarkable now. I think a W204 or w205 C63, for example, are not just much faster, they are also more fun and better in every way.

Add a bit of Brabus to them and, well…

But as historical masterpieces I totally get the older Brabuses. Amazing engineering born out of passion.

Bit surprised by the reaction to this - guess I’m the only one that thinks it looks cool?! I’d ditch the spoiler and get MB logos on front and rear (never been a fan of the ‘B’), but the it’s hard to go too wrong with the CLS shape in that colour and those ‘classic’ wheels.

(Rocket on the headrests could go too)

1420nm of torque!!!

Just the vehicle to rock up to Halfrauds in and ask for a set of plugs fitted please.

Bit surprised by the reaction to this - guess I’m the only one that thinks it looks cool?! I’d ditch the spoiler and get MB logos on front and rear (never been a fan of the ‘B’), but the it’s hard to go too wrong with the CLS shape in that colour and those ‘classic’ wheels.

1420nm of torque!!!
Surprised me too.

1420nm of torque!!!
You're one of their target customers then ;) I know taste is subjective & it's real carbon, but those fake vents stuck on the front wings are hilarious imo. And that rear wing is comical. Far too many embellishments, reminds me of the tenth generation Honda Civic Type R. But each to their own, if we all liked the same thing what a boring world it would be etc. 👍

Attachments

• 7cd5b326a1404b03b0de42c58629e174.jpg
    7cd5b326a1404b03b0de42c58629e174.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 5
Had to google "ISTR"......guess I'm just not down with the kids!!

You're one of their target customers then ;) I know taste is subjective & it's real carbon, but those fake vents stuck on the front wings are hilarious imo. And that rear wing is comical. Far too many embellishments, reminds me of the tenth generation Honda Civic Type R. But each to their own, if we all liked the same thing what a boring world it would be etc. 👍
It just looks like a CLS63 with a silly spoiler and a few carbon fibre pieces - my point is it doesn’t looks as mad as it would seem from reading the comments… I was expecting it to be much worse.

Even if you think it’s ridiculous, an 800bhp car with 1450nm of torque is pretty ridiculous and unnecessary

I’ve see some worse styling in the ‘show me you AMG’ thread… 🤪

Last edited:
Replying to the last two posts, I would like to think I am an authority on ridiculous, unnecessary and irrelevant having ordered a brand new 600 hp Brabus C63S which is mainly used for a school run in 20mph central London. IMHO the Rocket is totally ridiculous, unnecessary and irrelevant which is why it’s great and why we are all here (this is not a Seat MPV forum).

Personally I wouldn’t want any fake aero, I think the rear spoiler serves a purpose in a car that can go more than 200 mph, I wonder if the front bonnet slats do, other stuff looks “de trop”.

I declined all Brabus bodywork on mine, the exhaust had to come with the Brabus CF rear diffuser which is uglier than the MB Carbon pack, so that was a no, and I preferred the MB Carbon pack for front and sides. Didn’t love the Brabus wheel options. But some of the Rocket’s addenda may be necessary.

Brabus are brilliant at interiors. If anyone has seen their classic restorations - fabulous. I wouldn’t let anyone else play around with the interior of a new car but the work they did was beautiful on mine.

Their exterior styling is sometimes less successful. Engines, wow.

Letr's face it, anything that has stuck-on fake air vents and says "Rocket 800" on the headrests is irredeemably naff. Respect to Engadine for having the taste not to want the tat where it can be avoided, and I think some other buyers would also buy a car like that for what it does, because they want and can afford the very best and most exclusive, and minimise the naffness, but for most, the tat is just as important; they want others to know what they've got. Irredeemably naff.

It could be much worse; it could be one of Kahn's creations...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom