Squeaking when steering wheel on full lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rod3nt

Car
Mercedes E220 CDI Avantgarde
I have recently had new track rod end & suspension fitted to my E220 I've had it tracked but now when I put steering on full lock I get seeking noise from same side, can anyone help

You need to give a few more details about your car -- exact model and age. Exactly which suspension components were replaced along with that track rod end? The more detail you give the more likely you will get a reply.

It's an E220 CDI Avantgarde 08 plate 173000 miles, work I've had completed recently
Lower suspension arm to front offside
Tie/track rod end front near & offside
Special calliper near & offside
Water pump replaced

Never ending only had car 2 years ????

It could be as simple as a dry bushing. Get a can of WD40 or similar and spray around the bushes, then test. Ask somebody to turn the steering to full lock as you do the spraying and you will see the parts that are most likely to squeak.

I'm afraid that cars with more than 150K miles on the clock are always going to be " a work in progress" That said its always galling when you have had some work done and there still appears to be a problem. As Bruce says " a problem shared"----- in other words get a temporary assistant-----people forget in a car repair garage the mechanic working on your car can usually call on mate on the other side of the workshop to help.
First thing to try get the "assistant" to put the car on full lock and then bounce the suspension up and down on the suspect corner to elicit any squeaking. Then raise the bonnet and try to locate the precise source of the squeak as your assistant turns the wheel side to side. I am wondering if you are hearing a squeal from the poly V belt/ powersteering pump/ one of the tensioner/idler pulleys associated with the power steering?

Have you used new bolts where applicable? Has everything been torqued as it should? Some suspension components require new bolts (the old ones stretch) and/or need to be tightened to specific torque setting when the suspension under load etc (i.e. not when the car or wheel are in the air) - incorrectly torqued/tightened suspension components often squeak when stressed.

I'm afraid that cars with more than 150K miles on the clock are always going to be " a work in progress" That said its always galling when you have had some work done and there still appears to be a problem. As Bruce says " a problem shared"----- in other words get a temporary assistant-----people forget in a car repair garage the mechanic working on your car can usually call on mate on the other side of the workshop to help.
First thing to try get the "assistant" to put the car on full lock and then bounce the suspension up and down on the suspect corner to elicit any squeaking. Then raise the bonnet and try to locate the precise source of the squeak as your assistant turns the wheel side to side. I am wondering if you are hearing a squeal from the poly V belt/ powersteering pump/ one of the tensioner/idler pulleys associated with the power steering?

In addition to tightening slackening the belt are you sure the fluid is at the correct level?

Recently found I have a slow PS fluid leak as I was investigating the noise it was making on full lock

Thanks everyone , your responses are greatly appreciated

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom