Stalls when selecting a gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Furno

Car
ML350
My son has a 1995 C200 Elegance (engine 111.941) that has a problem when starting up.

The engine starts fine and ticks over correctly, but as soon as you select a gear it stalls. You can get around it by revving the engine before it has chance to stall, but this is far from ideal.

No warning lights are displayed on the instrument cluster.

I've connected it to the STAR/DAS diagnostics and it shows the following error - "003 Coolant temperature sensor B11/2 -//-" which clearly indicates a problem with the ECT sensor or the wiring to/from this sensor. I will check the wiring asap as the wiring loom on this car is very dodgey (well known problem), but when it was connected to DAS I noticed that DAS was showing a coolant temperature which very rapidly (within a minute) reached 120C, but the gauge was showing about 65C - I think the gauge is correct because the engine wasn't overheating.

My queries are:

1. Are there 2 sources for the coolant temperature, 1 for DAS and 1 for the gauge, or does the PMS ECU feed the gauge (or vice versa)?
2. Would the 120C reading (presumably held in the PMS ECU) cause the sort of problems we are experiencing?

I've also tested the vacuum lines to the fuel regulator and the throttle body and both are OK - no apparent leaks.

Final question - I seem to recall seeing somewhere that the PMS ECU gives the throttle a little nudge to increase the revs slightly when selecting a gear - to prevent the problem we are seeing. Is this correct or complete tosh?

Cheers

Steve

Sounds like a few issue going here. The temp. sensor sounds faulty for one. The gearbox should up the revs when you engage gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom