Started to Clean to 300CE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

300CE

MB Enthusiast
Car
1990 300CE
Started to clean the car today, the weather's been pretty rubbish but have so far completed the following:
1) Washed Car
2) Cleaned wheels using Bilberry Cleaner
3) Sprayed Autosmart Tardis all over
4) Cleaned again and clayed the whole car and was amazed with the results - this took a while and i've attached a picture of the clay (this was over a size of about a foot square on the boot so you can see how much cr4p is on it!!!).
5) It hammered it down - twice - so wiped car down and will carry on with polishing & waxing tomorrow.

Wheels done:

Claying:

Attachments

• Pic 5.jpg
    Pic 5.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 551
  • Pic 2.jpg
    Pic 2.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 554
Looking much better and now ready for polishing and waxing although will need another clean prior to this in the morning! Will be keeping me fingers crossed as it's the first time i'd have used a DA polisher, but will post up some photos once it's all been done!!

Attachments

• Pic 1.jpg
    Pic 1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 551
  • Pic 3.jpg
    Pic 3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Very nice indeed!

Is there a way someone can lift that door 3 mm for you?

Nice car. Don't worry too much about using the DA, pretty user friendly. Just use common sense and don't overheat any one area. Quite into keeping my cars clean and pretty local. Holler if you need any assistance/have any concerns.

Hello

Is that the bilt Hamber clay bar? which one if it is please.

Did it work well :)

Hello

Is that the bilt Hamber clay bar? which one if it is please.

Did it work well :)

It was the Bilt Hamber regular clay bar and the results were amazing! There was a lot of contamination on the boot, bonnet & roof & it felt smooth as silk once finished. I nearly used the whole bar, but think I was using too bigger chunks at the beginning as I used it a lot more sparingly towards the end.

Thanks for posting - enjoyed the thread.

OK, spent the whole day polishing & waxing the old girl with me mate doing the interior. Just finished and its absolutely chucking it down (typical)! Results from the polishing were fantastic & i'll post up pics/details tomorrow as I'm cream crackered!

You must be knackered.....I have been giving my car a ''once in a lifetime detail'' and it is taking me about 2hrs./panel for what is effectively 13 panels excluding windows and wheels not to mention the interior. I have been on the case now for five continuous days but obviously not 8hrs. days......maximum 6hrs. on any one day. My back is killing me.

Mic

You must be knackered.....I have been giving my car a ''once in a lifetime detail'' and it is taking me about 2hrs./panel for what is effectively 13 panels excluding windows and wheels not to mention the interior. I have been on the case now for five continuous days but obviously not 8hrs. days......maximum 6hrs. on any one day. My back is killing me.

Mic

I've become the friends and family car cleaner / alloy cleaner / light scratch remover. But I find if I "go at it" for any longer than a couple of hours, my lower back is well sore. To the point of struggling to get out of bed the next morning. I work out with a personal trainer / box 3 times a week, but something in the mechanics of polishing knackers my back if I'm not careful.

OK, spent the whole day polishing & waxing the old girl with me mate doing the interior. Just finished and its absolutely chucking it down (typical)! Results from the polishing were fantastic & i'll post up pics/details tomorrow as I'm cream crackered!

Yes please!

OK chaps, here's a few pictures of the car after polishing - as you can see the results are pretty good. I used a Kestrel DAS-6 Polisher and the whole car with Menzerna Final Finish Polish and a Final Finish Pad. These were the least aggressive polish & pad as i also had Menzerna Power Finish (which gives more of a cut) and also a Polishing & Compound Pad. I didn't want to use these yet as it was my first time using the polisher.

I didn't get the swirl marks out completely but was very pleased with how it came out but now i'm more confident using the DAS, i'll use the more aggressive products next time- i applied Nanolex Nanowax after the polishing:

Attachments

• Merc 2.jpg
    Merc 2.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 440
  • Merc 3.jpg
    Merc 3.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 439
  • Roof 1.jpg
    Roof 1.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 438
Took the old girl to the Bromley Pageant today and had a nice few positive remarks made about her (also put some chrome look plastic wheel nut covers on just to tidy it up a bit)!!:

Attachments

• Merc 1.jpg
    Merc 1.jpg
    225.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Merc 4.jpg
    Merc 4.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 276
OK chaps, here's a few pictures of the car after polishing - as you can see the results are pretty good. I used a Kestrel DAS-6 Polisher and the whole car with Menzerna Final Finish Polish and a Final Finish Pad. These were the least aggressive polish & pad as i also had Menzerna Power Finish (which gives more of a cut) and also a Polishing & Compound Pad. I didn't want to use these yet as it was my first time using the polisher.

I didn't get the swirl marks out completely but was very pleased with how it came out but now i'm more confident using the DAS, i'll use the more aggressive products next time- i applied Nanolex Nanowax after the polishing:

That's a nice finish. Could I make one suggestion based on the last photo? If you look at the sun there is a hologram running vertically from it. That is probably caused by not working the polish enough or finishing off with the speed too high. Keep polishing until the polish goes clear, only use 2 or 3 pea sized drops of polish, spread on speed 2, step up to 4/5 for working the polish, once it goes clear drop down to 2 again and refine the whole work area. You won't get the holograms and you will get more work out of the polish. The clarity in the finish will be better.

Great finish for first time out though.

Mic

You're not wrong there Mic, feeling it today. Looking forward to going back to work & having a rest in the office!!

That's a nice finish. Could I make one suggestion based on the last photo? If you look at the sun there is a hologram running vertically from it. That is probably caused by not working the polish enough or finishing off with the speed too high. Keep polishing until the polish goes clear, only use 2 or 3 pea sized drops of polish, spread on speed 2, step up to 4/5 for working the polish, once it goes clear drop down to 2 again and refine the whole work area. You won't get the holograms and you will get more work out of the polish. The clarity in the finish will be better.

Great finish for first time out though.

Cheers for the advice Superspec, will deffo take on board next time out! That last shot was of the roof which was a bit of a pain as I was on a chair (but best to see against the sun). I think you're right in that I didn't work the polish enough, I tended to have it on speed 1 for the first couple of over laps, then up to 2/3 & finishing on 4. I think rule of thumb is to pass over about 3 dozen times, but probably didn't if I'm being honest.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom