Sticky Marks on Dashboard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Hi,

Well, I've used every sane household product that I can think of to shift what remains of a self-adhesive disk (Tom Tom Mount) left by the last owner.

Is there a product I can use that is aggressive enough to lift what I presume is the remains of glue without ruining the dash?

Ta

Gary

Warm it gently with a hairdryer, then use a strong adhesive tape to peel/lift it off.

Dampen a few pieces of folded kitchen roll and remove excess water.

Place on stick residue and leave to soak for a few hours.

Get a rubber thimble - the sort bank tellers have - and rub residue with your thumb.

Baby oil on cotton wool.
No I'm being serious
Which begs the question "So how did you find out that happened to work?" ;) :D

Isopropyl alcohol? Do warm the adhesive with a hair dryer first.

Autoglym's Intensive Tar Remover is another possibility.

I'd be wary that these would melt the plastic dash and cause further problems.

Very good product and no adverse affects on interior from our experience in valeting our stock.

WD40 is good at removing sticky marks, but would test on an unseen part first to check it will not stain or leave a mark.

Eucalyptus oil, availabke in Boots. This gets any sticky off, even the Le Mans camping permits.

Ian

Hi,

Well, I've used every sane household product that I can think of to shift what remains of a self-adhesive disk (Tom Tom Mount) left by the last owner.

Is there a product I can use that is aggressive enough to lift what I presume is the remains of glue without ruining the dash?

Ta

Gary

I'd be grateful if you could post your results as there's the remains of a mount on top of my dash. It's a sort of grey coloured goo and now rock hard. Tried quite a few things to shift it...

I use surgical spirit for removing all sorts of sticky mess! It works a treat.:bannana:

WD40 followed by Isoproyl if necessary.

Turps, turpentine Terps Turpz
Works for me.

Methylated spirit seems to move most things. i have used it many times to remove the residue from the sticky pads used for number plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom