• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Fair point! And in that pic he doesn't even have a few 'heavies' around him on bikes, which he often did when cycling.

I am guessing the photo was taken when Boris Johnson was Mayor of London (the TfL hat is a giveaway...), it is unlikely that he would have travelled solo after he became PM, but the photo above is definitely in stark contrast to this:

I am guessing the photo was taken when Boris Johnson was Mayor of London (the TfL hat is a giveaway...), it is unlikely that he would have travelled solo after he became PM, but the photo above is definitely in stark contrast to this:

That’s the link I sent to my ‘friend’ before she blocked me.

Hyde Park Corner just now. No gridlock and it’s Tragic Thursday.
1dcd68f5-dd2a-4152-a7fc-f8059a092da0-jpeg.135550

Attachments

• 1DCD68F5-DD2A-4152-A7FC-F8059A092DA0.jpeg
    1DCD68F5-DD2A-4152-A7FC-F8059A092DA0.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 130
Hyde Park Corner just now. No gridlock and it’s Tragic Thursday.
1dcd68f5-dd2a-4152-a7fc-f8059a092da0-jpeg.135550

Good point (and very good vantage point :) )

What does it mean? That the Congestion Charge finally works as intended....?

I honestly don’t think ulez is so much about reducing pollution by making people purchase cleaner cars, as just straight up reducing car numbers on the streets?

I live in the ulez zone now and the number of yummy mummies in 4x4 driving around for the school/shop run with an empty car most of the time, when the school/shop is a mile or two from the house. That’s the person that’s being targeted by this scheme!

Public transport here is so good it’s easy to get anywhere at almost any time of day. Cycling would be better if the infrastructure existed. Only gripe I hold is the cost of trains from the suburbs, which I’m sure puts some off from giving up the car.

I only use my car at the weekend to actually leave london, so the charge is minor. Before I would happily drive to the shop, which is literally a 15 mins walk away …. Convenient yet lazy.

While the scheme isn’t perfect and there’s plenty I don’t agree with, I honestly don’t think people quite realise how on the brink earth is to not being able to sustain us. If we can, and we can, make a difference then we should.

Also…. I don’t quite get all the hate at Khan? The whole lez scheme started way back in 2008, initially under Ken Livingstone, and expanded under good ol’ Boris (sarcasm).

Plus, just a quick search has show that pollution levels have dropped since the initial lez was introduced…. Massively! Mainly no2, as particulate pollution is still an issue - but still a reduction overall!

But EVs won't help one iota. They don't even claim that the ULEZ is anything to do with climate anymore....just city air quality....which in itself is fair enough. Clearly proven by the fact that a high carbon producing, planet destroying (LOL!) engine like the M156 is ULEZ compliant....but my low carbon, cheap tax (which is just based on CO output) ALFA isn't. Its claimed if every car in the world changed to EV tomorrow (which will never happen as many countries as yet have no plans to drop ICE cars) that they could not even measure the difference in airborne carbon...largely due to how we make the electricity and the extra CO that is produced making EVs over ICE cars. In this country you need to do about 60,000 miles in an EV to break even in carbon to the average petrol car due to us making less than 50 percent of our power from renewables. But that fact that you say stuff like that proves the propaganda is working. Most of us outside big cities have no other option but to use cars even if we wanted to leave them at home.
From the EPA...
Globally, the primary sources of greenhouse gas emissions are electricity and heat (31%), agriculture (11%), transportation (15%), forestry (6%) and manufacturing (12%). Energy production of all types accounts for 72 percent of all emissions.

But EVs won't help one iota. They don't even claim that the ULEZ is anything to do with climate anymore....just city air quality....which in itself is fair enough. Clearly proven by the fact that a high carbon producing, planet destroying (LOL!) engine like the M156 is ULEZ compliant....but my low carbon, cheap tax (which is just based on CO output) ALFA isn't. Its claimed if every car in the world changed to EV tomorrow (which will never happen as many countries as yet have no plans to drop ICE cars) that they could not even measure the difference in airborne carbon...largely due to how we make the electricity and the extra CO that is produced making EVs over ICE cars. In this country you need to do about 60,000 miles in an EV to break even in carbon to the average petrol car due to us making less than 50 percent of our power from renewables. But that fact that you say stuff like that proves the propaganda is working. Most of us outside big cities have no other option but to use cars even if we wanted to leave them at home.
From the EPA...
Globally, the primary sources of greenhouse gas emissions are electricity and heat (31%), agriculture (11%), transportation (15%), forestry (6%) and manufacturing (12%). Energy production of all types accounts for 72 percent of all emissions.

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

Attributed to George Carlin, American comedian

There's no such thing as 'driving a green car'... EVs and other zero-exhaust-emissions cars are great because they move harmful pollution away from city centres, which is where the majority of the population live and work. But if you want to save the planet... then simply don't drive.

Good....hopefully more will follow. COME THE CAR OWNERS REVOLUTION...........!

It's a tax. Nothing more and nothing less. A common scam by penalizing the 99% and suggesting that they can avoid the inconvenience by taking on a bigger burden of buying a new car. Didn't they do the same thing with diesel 20 years ago?

Cars pollute less than they did 30 years ago and as a result, you don't hear of smog in cities like London or Los Angeles for that matter and newer cars will naturally take over without the need of ULEZ. So what's going to happen when all cars become Ulez compliant? Will the city give up this revenue? I doubt it.

The big question is how does this thread stop the expansion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom