• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Fax is still big in Japan.

So I'm told...

Screenshot-20230120-172941-Chrome.jpg

Regarding EV,s

I didn’t know the affect that freezing weather has on range.
Another problem I’ve just recently found out is that when a service station has 4 charging points and 3 of them don’t work it can cause problems, especially when you’re on the way to a funeral. ☹️

Regarding EV,s

I didn’t know the affect that freezing weather has on range.
Yes, low ambient temperature is a range-killer, and I was really puzzled to see on the IONIQ 5 forum quite a few members from Canada and from Norway, seems odd to me that they chose an EV, go figure.

Incidentally, the car has a battery warmer that kicks-in when the temperature is low, but it's based on a PTR heater, so uses electricity from the battery... :doh: I guess that the Hyundai engineers worked out that you still gain a few miles of range in this way.

Yes, low ambient temperature is a range-killer, and I was really puzzled to see on the IONIQ 5 forum quite a few members from Canada and from Norway, seems odd to me that they chose an EV, go figure.

Incidentally, the car has a battery warmer that kicks-in when the temperature is low, but it's based on a PTR heater, so uses electricity from the battery... :doh: I guess that the Hyundai engineers worked out that you still gain a few miles of range in this way.
BIL has a Merc EQC.

We were actually discussing owning an EV in proper cold climates.

Yesterday was freezing so I had the heated seats of full, wonder what they do to the battery.

My sisters Merc E350 diesel will be up for sale soon. 13 plate with 40,000 on the clock. It’s given them zero problems.

Over 33 percent of all new cars sold in Norway are Evs....they lead the way globally in how many EVs per capita. They have cheap electric and most of it (unlike us) is from renewables.

Over 33 percent of all new cars sold in Norway are Evs....they lead the way globally in how many EVs per capita. They have cheap electric and most of it (unlike us) is from renewables.
Wow, that low, when they've been given all these incentives?
Whereas the UK takes in £35 billion in VED and fuel taxes alone.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 11.00.13.png

So a democratically voted in London Borough council can have their decisions overruled by the democratically elected mayor of London.
FTFY.

Not being argumentative, it's just that your post highlights a bigger issue with democracies in general - for example, the recent debate whether the results of the Brexit referendum trump a vote in Parliament, a debate that ended-up with the High Court ruling that it does not. So just to say that it's not always obvious who has the authority to represent 'the voice of the people'.

FTFY.

Not being argumentative, it's just that your post highlights a bigger issue with democracies in general - for example, the recent debate whether the results of the Brexit referendum trump a vote in Parliament, a debate that ended up with the High Court ruling that it does not. So just to say that it's not always obvious who has the authority to represent 'the voice of the people'.
Importantly for democracies, the Executive is still separate to the Legislature.

The Law says that TfL can put in those cameras. The Executive has to work within those Laws - or change the laws.

Either way, electing Khan because he's a Labour candidate, gives no-one any control over what he will do over something as dull as greenwashed taxation to fund his favourite ways to spend money - like running empty buses despite the huge drop in bus usage.

Van drivers should add a ULEZ charge to the deliveries. Customers will complain then vote out Khan once it starts impacting those people without cars thinking this would not impact them.
For a commercial user the cost is insignificant against the revenue.

Granny has to pay a lot to go over and Babysit, but it's just the same as delivery driver doing a hundred miles to deliver eighty parcels.

Wow, that low, when they've been given all these incentives?
Whereas the UK takes in £35 billion in VED and fuel taxes alone.

View attachment 136212

Just Googled it, and found that 90% of Norways total power production is from Hydropower.

Makes sense for them to push their population into buying EVs (even if it's not the optimal mod of transport in cold climate...).

Also, Norway is energy self-sufficient and it is Europe's largest energy exporter - nearly all oil and gas produced in Norway is exported.

And so, using-up the cheap stuff (electricity) at home and selling the expensive bits (oil and gas) to others, makes perfect sense from the economic perspective.

Van drivers should add a ULEZ charge to the deliveries. Customers will complain then vote out Khan once it starts impacting those people without cars thinking this would not impact them.
Once the ULEZ extension is implemented it’s never going away. Doesn’t matter who is voted in as mayor, there’s far too much wedge involved.

The destruction to the European car industry is fascinating.

German car sales at their lowest for 35 years (yes 1985).

French car sales at their lowest for 45 years. Yes 1975

(Doubt that it's because of Brexit, although some will say it is. Others claim the shortfall is "only temporary" because of chip shortage)

While the car industry wanted the transition to EV to save their environment reputation, it's forced a lot of normal people to continue running dirty old cars rather than to update to modern lower emission ICE vehicles. Not to the laughably expensive Euro7, just to the modestly expensive Euro4, 5 and 6.

Last edited:
Just Googled it, and found that 90% of Norways total power production is from Hydropower.

Makes sense for them to push their population into buying EVs (even if it's not the optimal mod of transport in cold climate...).

Also, Norway is energy self-sufficient and it is Europe's largest energy exporter - nearly all oil and gas produced in Norway is exported.

And so, using-up the cheap stuff (electricity) at home and selling the expensive bits (oil and gas) to others, makes perfect sense from the economic perspective.

For sure. No need to raise taxes when you're making a fortune from exporting Fossil fuels for others to burn. (And you have well over a trillion dollars stashed away in your sovereign wealth fund. Call it $200,000 for every Norwegian)

My point was that the UK government has £35 million coming in from fuel and VED's alone, and no way to replace it. Yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom