• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

It's interesting, the study works out that London is the second most expensive city to drive in after Hong Kong. I was wondering how London was cheaper than Singapore and then realised it was based on fuel/energy consumption based on congestion.

Which brings me back to my original question.... do we leave things as they are, or do we try and fix the problem? If the latter, then do we widen the roads, or do we limit the number of private car journeys? Answers on a postcard... :D

Or leave it as is....as more EVs and low emission cars get on the road and high emission ones fall apart, emissions and particulates with naturally lower.

Or leave it as is....as more EVs and low emission cars get on the road and high emission ones fall apart, emissions and particulates with naturally lower.
But it doesn’t bring in the cash and there’ll be no cameras in place for when road pricing comes.

But this won't solve the traffic congestion issue. Only thing that will, is less car journeys through the city. How do we achieve that?

Well, breathing any sort of particulate matter isn't good, obviously, but we should concentrate our efforts first at eliminating those particulates that are known to be carcinogenic or otherwise harmful to human health.
Agreed. So leave cars alone.

But this won't solve the traffic congestion issue. Only thing that will, is less car journeys through the city. How do we achieve that?
Perhaps a decent alternative? People don’t use public transport because it’s shite.

And as I’ve said congestion is worse than ever on my commute from Kent at 6am, so Khans policies are clearly working.

Perhaps a sensible approach would be a combination of measures, but Khan doesn’t do sensible.

You will never achieve that short of banning cars in the city. People want to use cars....there is no realistic alternative. No .....public transport is not the answer....never has been...never will be. And don't forget in other cities in the UK proposing ULEZ have no where near the same levels of public transport London does (no underground etc).

Here's an idea to debate, ban buses and cycles in London and open the bus and cycle lanes to cars so the traffic moves better, less idling and, therefore, better air quality?

Perhaps a decent alternative? People don’t use public transport because it’s shite.

And as I’ve said congestion is worse than ever on my commute from Kent at 6am, so Khans policies are clearly working.

Perhaps a sensible approach would be a combination of measures, but Khan doesn’t do sensible.
People will not use public transport no matter how good it is....except possibly if they make it free!
I want my own space at a temp I choose, with music I want, with no smelly, noisy people shouting on their phones next to me and I want it to go near enough door to door without having to walk miles each end...of worse still, still have to drive to the station to get the train. Also I want to be able to change my travel time last minute and I want to be able to pop out in my lunch hour to eat or pick up stuff. No public transport can achieve that and that's why people don't use it and that's why congestion is as bad as ever....to the point that some people would rather pay the congestion charge and ULEZ than take the train or the loser cruiser (bus).

People will not use public transport no matter how good it is....except possibly if they make it free!
I want my own space at a temp I choose, with music I want, with no smelly, noisy people shouting on their phones next to me and I want it to go near enough door to door without having to walk miles each end.
This morning it was raining a little so instead of cycling I walked to the station which took about 8 minutes.

I bought myself a tea and waited 3 minutes until my 0658 train arrived. It was clean, warm and probably half full.

It got me into Farringdon at 0721 where I changed onto the Elizabeth Line to Bond St. I got into work just before 0740.

A totally stress free journey and if I did the same journey leaving at the same time in the car it would’ve taken twice as long and I’d have to pay congestion charge and parking.

It’s a no brainer, public transport in London is good and people use it.

This morning it was raining a little so instead of cycling I walked to the station which took about 8 minutes.

I bought myself a tea and waited 3 minutes until my 0658 train arrived. It was clean, warm and probably half full.

It got me into Farringdon at 0721 where I changed onto the Elizabeth Line to Bond St. I got into work just before 0740.

A totally stress free journey and if I did the same journey leaving at the same time in the car it would’ve taken twice as long and I’d have to pay congestion charge and parking.

This compares nowhere near the rest of the country. My nearest station is 4.1 miles away, the bus service is at best described as irregular. When the train runs, instead of 3 carriages is often only has 2 and is therefore rammed and uncomfortable. The station is a mainline station but has no facilities so no chance of a tea, London public transport is what the rest of the country would dream of.

I realise that and London has plenty of negatives as well. Would you like to live here?
I live i on the outskirts of Bristol, we also have a Bristol ULEZ zone and a Bath ULEZ zone although the latter has no charge for cars (at present :D ) Would I like to live in London? Probably not, my current house would not be affordable in the city so I think I'll stay where I am ;)

Would I like to live in London? Probably not, my current house would not be affordable in the city so I think I'll stay where I am ;)
Too many people from outside of London are very quick to tell us how lucky we are to have such good public transport links.

I then ask them if they’d like to come and live here. You can pretty much guess their answer.

I then tell them to stop whining and try to explain how lucky THEY are not to live here. 😎

Here's an idea to debate, ban buses and cycles in London and open the bus and cycle lanes to cars so the traffic moves better, less idling and, therefore, better air quality?

How will this work then? Keeping in mind that during rush hour, a bus that takes the same road space as 3 private cars, ferries 30 people - replacing busses with private cars will see at least a tenfold increase in traffic volume for the same number of people - not a good idea, I think.

I went to my office in Hackney today. Bakerloo Line, Elizabeth Line, then Overground. 30 minutes door to door. It's 45 minutes in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom