• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

As long as it's just for BEV drivers who currently don't pay tax on their "fuel", don't pay VED, don't pay the London Congestion Charge, don't pay for the local Council's Residents Parking Permit, and pay only 2% BIK tax under a salary sacrifice scheme , I'm all for it too ;)

FTFY 😎 :D

Will this road charging be instead of VED?

My view is that it should be. It should also incorporate all other schemes i.e. Congestion Charge and ULEZ. And it should be operated nationallly, not locally (so TfL will be getting some of the funds generated by the scheme).

But I don't know what (if) is being planned..

Colin Ferns isn’t happy.

Victims of ULEZ: Woman's £650 year costs to tradesman facing £3k bill

Victims of ULEZ: Woman's £650 year costs to tradesman facing £3k bill

I fully sympathise the tradesmen, and with their customers who will pick up their ULEZ tab.

The lady that won't replace her Diesel car with a petrol one, and instead intends to spend £650 annually on ULEZ fees, should be made to take numeracy classes.

But did I read this right? Grandchildren who won't visit they grandparents because they are too tight to fork out £12.50 for the ULEZ fee..........? How often are they visting them now, you have to wonder?

The lady that won't replace her Diesel car with a petrol one, and instead intends to spend £650 annually on ULEZ fees, should be made to take numeracy classes.

But did I read this right? Grandchildren who won't visit they grandparents because they are too tight to fork out £12.50 for the ULEZ fee..........? How often are they visting them now, you have to wonder?
The fact that neither me or you are them makes it difficult to comment on. Everyone is different.

The lady with the diesel Mini has got to go through the aggro of selling her car which she might actually like. She’s going to get loads of knob-jockeys, chancers and tyre kickers wasting her time or trying to rip her off. It’s probably now worth she’d loads less and the petrol car that will replace it will have gone up in price.
I fully understand her being hacked off tbh.

Did the Grandkids actually say they were too tight or has it been taken out of context a wee bit?

The fact that neither me or you are them makes it difficult to comment on. Everyone is different.

The lady with the diesel Mini has got to go through the aggro of selling her car which she might actually like. She’s going to get loads of knob-jockeys, chancers and tyre kickers wasting her time or trying to rip her off. It’s probably now worth she’d loads less and the petrol car that will replace it will have gone up in price.
I fully understand her being hacked off tbh.

Did the Grandkids actually say they were too tight or has it been taken out of context a wee bit?

First point: agreed.

Second point: we can't even begin to resolve our pollution issues if the brief is that no one ever must be inconvenienced in the least bit.

Third point: agreed, probably typically DM clickbait.

Second point: we can't even begin to resolve our pollution issues if the brief is that no one ever must be inconvenienced in the least bit.
Totally agree on that but there are better ways to clean up London’s air in regards to what Kahn is doing. There’s nothing wrong with his end goal, he’s just going about it the wrong way.

Crime in the capital is still a big problem as well.

Just to put this in perspective, it's worth looking at how much City Hall rakes in from LEZ & ULEZ charges and fines. According to the Taxpayers Alliance, they are as follows.

Charges:

YearLEZ Charge IncomeULEZ Charge Income
2019/20£1,123,800£66,056,275
2020/21£3,792,800£30,608,750
2021/22£17,846,200£93,120,437.50

Fines:

YearNbr ULEZ FinesULEZ Fine IncomeNbr LEZ FinesLEZ Fines Income
2019/20594,916£41,382,61339,751£3,742,566
2020/21273,311£16,988,66424,819£1,599,157
2021/221,010,573£46,800,82672,163£8,278,098

So in 2021/22 the current ULEZ generated almost £140m of income for Mr Khan.

But it's all about reducing pollution. Yeah, right...

If the lady with the diesel car is a pensioner on fixed income as many of us are, to find a "few grand" to change our car is quite often not a possibility and the £650 per annum is paid weekly not all in one hit. So maybe not quite an inconvenience more a financial impossibility.

Does the air quality really need cleaning that much, or are we being led to believe it does for My Khans tax / revenue objective. I struggle to believe many things these days. We are constantly fed lies and mis-truths.

I feel as though the London region has far bigger problems that are simply not being dealt with.

The motorist does seem an easy target once again.

It harks back to the Nottingham council wanting to install a tram system in the city, to fund this they instantly made a mandatory annual tax on any motorist who dare to park at their place of work in the city center region within a given radius. Motorists were given no option. Some firms took the hit, many smaller ones simply couldn't and the motorist had to pay. All in the name of the environment and air quality... Its made no difference.. but the tram system is now installed and the tax/levy on parking has not been removed..

How convenient??

To me it seems like Nottingham wanted a tram system to be on a par with larger cities as their main objective. There is always a real reason for wanting these changes but we rarely get to know the truth.

If the lady with the diesel car is a pensioner on fixed income as many of us are, to find a "few grand" to change our car is quite often not a possibility and the £650 per annum is paid weekly not all in one hit. So maybe not quite an inconvenience more a financial impossibility.
Some of the ‘I’m all right Jack’ brigade don’t seem to realise this or don’t really give a f**k.

I feel as though the London region has far bigger problems that are simply not being dealt with.
Motorists are being charged a fortune yet the roads are an absolute disgrace.

I’ll walk instead but I’ll probably get mugged.

Let's agree that we don't know if the lady in question does indeed fall into the category you described, or perhaps she's otherwise a very capable lady who was tricked into giving the DM a typical clickbait comment.

Let's agree that we don't know if the lady in question does indeed fall into the category you described, or perhaps she's otherwise a very capable lady who was tricked into giving the DM a typical clickbait comment.
I fall in that category, as do many others, and Bristol has a Low Emissions Zone, how long before that begins to expand as London is planning? How long before the current requirements, Euro 6 etc, is not good enough?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom