• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Stop expanding the ULEZ to all the London boroughs in 2023

Every other advert on the radio is TFL preaching the benefits of the expanded ULEZ.

Wonder how much it's costing ?

Just to put this in perspective, it's worth looking at how much City Hall rakes in from LEZ & ULEZ charges and fines. According to the Taxpayers Alliance, they are as follows.

Charges:

YearLEZ Charge IncomeULEZ Charge Income
2019/20£1,123,800£66,056,275
2020/21£3,792,800£30,608,750
2021/22£17,846,200£93,120,437.50

Fines:

YearNbr ULEZ FinesULEZ Fine IncomeNbr LEZ FinesLEZ Fines Income
2019/20594,916£41,382,61339,751£3,742,566
2020/21273,311£16,988,66424,819£1,599,157
2021/221,010,573£46,800,82672,163£8,278,098

So in 2021/22 the current ULEZ generated almost £140m of income for Mr Khan.

But it's all about reducing pollution. Yeah, right...
That’s exactly right. We all know it’s about money and nothing to do with pollution. There may be some areas in London that have higher levels (London Underground) but that doesn’t require a blanket solution.

In the event that road pricing is introduced will car tax be scrapped? And perhaps they can spend some of it on the ROADS!

People in London have got what they voted for regarding electing a Mayor. Maybe if more voters actually voted in the London Mayor elections then possibly matters might be different?

People in London have got what they voted for regarding electing a Mayor. Maybe if more voters actually voted in the London Mayor elections then possibly matters might be different?
But what about the people who don't live in London who are affected by this? Why should they have to suffer as a result?
How about he restricts his mandate to those who live in EC, WC, E, W, N, NW, SE, and SW. All other postcodes are not
London in my book. He can go by where the vehicle owners are registered.

But what about the people who don't live in London who are affected by this? Why should they have to suffer as a result?
How about he restricts his mandate to those who live in EC, WC, E, W, N, NW, SE, and SW. All other postcodes are not
London in my book. He can go by where the vehicle owners are registered.

It's a good question, but I guess it equally applies to other local charges that affect people from outside, e.g. the London Congestion Charge, or CAZ in other cities. Not sure what the answer is in terms of the Mayor's jurisdiction to pass rules that affect visitors to the city, but I think that the answer will be the same across the board in respect of all local levies and charges imposed on inbound traffic, not just ULEZ.

Voting covers Greater London

I’m guessing turnout is crap.

London Mayor Elections (from Wikipedia):

2000 Turnout: 34.43% - Ken Livingston
2004 Turnout: 36.95% - Ken Livingston

2008 Turnout: 45.33% - Boris Johnson
2012 Turnoot: 38.10% - Boris Johnson

2016 Turnout: 45.30% - Sadiq Khan
2021 Turnout: 42:00% - Sadiq Khan

When Boris was first elected in 2008, it was the highest turnout up to that time, and since... though Sadia Khan's turnout is pretty close. Ken Livingston was elected under crap turnout.

London Mayor Elections (from Wikipedia):

2000 Turnout: 34.43% - Ken Livingston
2004 Turnout: 36.95% - Ken Livingston

2008 Turnout: 45.33% - Boris Johnson
2012 Turnoot: 38.10% - Boris Johnson

2016 Turnout: 45.30% - Sadiq Khan
2021 Turnout: 42:00% - Sadiq Khan

When Boris was first elected in 2008, it was the highest turnout up to that time, and since... though Sadia Khan's turnout is pretty close. Ken Livingston was elected under crap turnout.
For some reason I always though Kahn was lower.

It’s starting to happen around here.

A lady neighbour had a lovely well cared for Toyota RAV4 on a 58 plate. It’s a diesel and its not Euro 6 so she had to sell it. For obvious reasons nobody wants it so the price dropped like a very heavy thing.

She’s bought a really smart 59 plate CRV that’s a petrol. She had to pay a stupid price for it because of course everybody wants one.

She’s a secretary for a small electrical firm so she doesn’t earn brilliant money and can well do without the additional expenditure.

Well done Mr Kahn.

It’s starting to happen around here.

A lady neighbour had a lovely well cared for Toyota RAV4 on a 58 plate. It’s a diesel and its not Euro 6 so she had to sell it. For obvious reasons nobody wants it so the price dropped like a very heavy thing.
Not the whole of the UK has low emission areas, Euro 5 cars and below, are still selling, my Euro 5 car is valued at almost what I paid for it 3 years ago.

Not the whole of the UK has low emission areas, Euro 5 cars and below, are still selling, my Euro 5 car is valued at almost what I paid for it 3 years ago.
She’s an older lady and I suppose she really didn’t want all the aggro of putting an ad on eBay or on the Trader websites. I’d have thought the last thing that she (and many like her) want are a load of tyre kickers coming over and trying to rip her off by using the ULEZ as a bargaining chip.

The Euro 5 market will soon be flooded with vehicles as more city centres ban them. I’d look at selling yours while the price is high.

Would rather poke myself in the eye repeatedly with a sharp object than live in a city 🤣

I went to Singapore once. Was glad to get back home too many people 🫠
I lived on a small Greek island for 10 years with a winter population of 3500. Coming back to London was a shock for my daughter.

A police chief has admitted 20mph speed zones in built up areas are 'usually advisory' and many cannot be enforced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom