Strip varnish from Garden furniture?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Swiss Toni

MB Enthusiast
Car
Pedestrian
Has anyone recent experience of stripping varnish from garden furniture?

The varnish is split but the wood underneath is sound, looking at NitroMors unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Cheers!

:dk:

Nitromors is dangerous stuff. I hate using it. Get one tiny little speck on your skin and it burns like crazy. Get it on clothes and they are only fit for the bin.
I prefer to use a hot air gun. Just as quick and much less hassle.

I think you'll need something as harsh as Nitromors to strip it, but as already said, it's not nice stuff.

Take a look at Liberon products, they may have something suitable....

I recently did 60 sq/m of decking with their oil and was very impressed with it.

What is the furniture made from? Using chemical strippers on hardwoods such as oak or mahogany will darken the natural resins and completely change the colour. As they always say, "try on an inconspicuous area first!"

Nitromors but use rubber gloves,safety goggles to protect your eyes from any splashes and wear an old top with long sleeves. Make sure you leave the nitromors on for the required time before scraping otherwise the job will take longer.
As others say it's not nice to work with but it gets the job done.
Terry

try hitting it with your jet wash , you will be supprised how easily it comes off.

ROTFPML

The thought of me lugging the best part of quarter of a tonne of timber the 4 miles to my nearest petrol station with jetwash and noncholantly wandering into the kiosk, asking for a "super soapy" and proceeding to spray-down my table, 4 chairs, bench, lovers swing, playhouse and birdtable to the amusement of the truckers in the Little Chef opposite made my night.

Thank you

:bannana::thumb:

try hitting it with your jet wash , you will be supprised how easily it comes off.

ROTFPML

The thought of me lugging the best part of quarter of a tonne of timber the 4 miles to my nearest petrol station with jetwash and noncholantly wandering into the kiosk, asking for a "super soapy" and proceeding to spray-down my table, 4 chairs, bench, lovers swing, playhouse and birdtable to the amusement of the truckers in the Little Chef opposite made my night.

Thank you

:bannana::thumb:

You laugh but it works! :thumb:

OK, bit of a non-starter if you don't have a jetwasher..... :doh:

What's wrong with a power sander? Also works well and no nasty chemicals. Use low speed and start with a coarse paper finishing with fine :dk:

All I can say, Stripping varnish from wooden furniture is a messy and time consuming job. However, it is necessary to do if you want to get a beautiful, long lasting finish when you decide to paint or stain it.

If you need tips and suggestions, there a lot of resources online.

Has anyone recent experience of stripping varnish from garden furniture?

The varnish is split but the wood underneath is sound, looking at NitroMors unless anyone has any other suggestions?

Cheers!

:dk:

+1 for the jetwash. Did a set of garden furniture a couple of years ago - worked a treat.

Just need to be careful you don't get too much power or you'll raise the grain (dependent, I guess, on the type of timber) but a quick sand afterwards sorted it.

Elbow grease - steel wool. Finish with fine sandpaper. Re-varnish / oil

Did my garden table last weeekend using Black and Decker 'Mouse' + plastic 'wire wool' type pads and white spirit. Worked a treat and will do same on chairs. Karcher power wash here if anyone wants to hire it!

If you have Teak or Cedar or similar exotic timber this stuff is simply amazing. I had a Cedar clad house and did the whole house with it. It looked like a piece of fine furniture when finished - sold the place in a flash for a very good price.

It is not cheap but it really works a treat. Use their cleaning products and you can clean with a blaster without bleaching or making the timber go fuzzy....

http://www.churton.com/CD50LiquidArt.html

If you can't borrow a jet-wash, then an old fashioned wire brush works well along with one of those Skarsten scrapers for the raised bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom