Tell me about water filters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reflexboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDi Sport&SLK250CDi AMG Sport
Now I have a black car, I really struggle to dry it off in time before the water spotting starts-even in this colder weather. I live in the south and we have pretty hard water. I would like a filter that just plugs in, in line with the hoselock type connectors. What sort should I go for? I've seen 0 ppm and 30ppm?? I would like to spend sub £100-would I be expecting too much for a hundred quid? Also what's the pressure like coming out of the filter? Can you guys recommend one that you have had experience wIth and how long do they generally last before they need refilling? Sorry for the hundred questions, but this is new to me. TIA.

I had one of those filters and can't recommend them. They are incredibly fiddly to refill when the time comes, and to be perfectly honest I don't think they do the job they're supposed to.

I have found a much better solution is rainwater used as the final rinse. Eliminates water spotting entirely. Some people suggest the rainwater should be filtered but I don't bother - just take it straight from the waterbutt.

I have one and I do not bother using it.

I have found that I much prefer to towel the car off and get those last little bits of dirt from the awkward nooks and crannies.

My solution to the problem of a quick drying car in warm weather/sunlight is to dry it off with a damp towel.......hose the car down after washing.......quickly dry off the horizontal surfaces thereby dampening the towel and then proceed to dry the whole of the car using the slightly damp towel.

The water in Oxfordshire is very ''hard''.

Mic

There are at least two threads on the forum relating to DI Vessels and several members, including me, bought from this place DAQUA - Suppliers of DI Vessels - Complete and Filled with Resin I can't get into the garage to confirm but being in a very hard water area (min 304ppm max 316ppm) I went for the 115 resin, I think. In use, on a hot sunny day, I can use the filter for filling my suds and rinse buckets and do final rinse with a hose from the DI Vessel and leave it. Zero water spots on bodywork or glass. None. With no drying or rushing.

The pressure through the filter doesn't change with either a hose or a pressure washer….I don't know how or why but it smacks of witchcraft so refuse to investigate. It comes with standard Hozelock style double male cap so standard fittings just work.
I would budget for a tester (about £10-15) as well because once the resin starts to deteriorate, that's when it is time to change it, before you begin getting spots again………….I have read somewhere that it can be re-charged by some method or other but I just buy replacement packs. I am still on my first resin fill since purchasing in summer (ish) last year.

Like I said, there are threads relating to DI Vessels and this company and it's products are very good.

Last edited:
I bought a DI vessel last summer and find it invaluable for washing my Obsidian Black W212. Like MicB, I live in Oxfordshire where the water is hard (typically my unfiltered water is around 370ppm TDS) and my drive is in the sun from around 7am until 5pm which meant that in the summer months it was completely impossible to wash my car without water spots drying on it before I could towel it off. With the DI vessel I can wash the car any time I like, in strong sun at high ambient temperatures, and I get absolutely no water spotting at all.

My DI vessel is a 7-litre one, bought before a few of us discovered the firm linked in Giantvanman's post. If I was buying again, I'd get the blue 11.4-litre one at the top of the linked DAQUA page.

You need a 0ppm filter and, as Giantvanman suggests, a TDS meter (I have the HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld one, available for around £15 from DAQUA) to check the output water as once it gets to 70ppm you will get slight water spotting and the TDS level tends to rise very quickly from that level with further use.

Regarding how often you need to change the resin, it depends on how hard your water is and how much water you use for each wash. My water is hard and I use a trigger on the end of a hose when I wash my car, rinsing it as I go. I get 8 or 9 washes before having to change the resin in my small filter, and I reckon I'll get four refills from one 25-litre bag of Tulsion MB-115. If you look at the Resin Combo Offers page on the DAQUA site, you can get a bag of resin complete with a DI Funnel for just over £80 delivered, which is what I bought.

Overall, I find it totally invaluable and only wish I'd known about them before as it would have saved me a whole bunch of effort when cleaning cars over the years.

I also have this problem with water marks should the car dry out after rinsing the soap off, so what I do is get up early on what is going to be a warm day wash the car and rinse off and dry before it drys off on its own, and always do this in a shady place.
It takes me just under an hour including the cleaning wheels inside and out, callipers and under wheel arches, which is quite a work out.

I also have this problem with water marks should the car dry out after rinsing the soap off, so what I do is get up early on what is going to be a warm day wash the car and rinse off and dry before it drys off on its own, and always do this in a shady place.
It takes me just under an hour including the cleaning wheels inside and out, callipers and under wheel arches, which is quite a work out.

Interesting......I must be getting slow......it takes me 1.5 hours to wash a car.

Mic

I'm pleased to learn that the filter has worked for others, it just didn't for me.

An alternative to the rainwater (which I strongly urge the OP to at least give it a try) is a product called Optimum No Rinse, which is highly recommended on the Detailing World forum. You wash and dry a panel at a time, which means waterspots don't have time to form.

im on my third blak car and think i have now found the solution for drying with out marks.i dry car with a electric leaf blower this stops swirl marks but when i polish i use a final coat of ptfe wax no more water marks.

jotter22 said:
I have started rinsing with water collected from the wife's tumble dryer seems to work but will still probably buy a water filter if and when i get a dark coloured car. Aqua Gleam De-ionising Water Filter 12" 30ppm | Spot Free Car Wash | AG12G I think this works out to about £1 a week? Tony.

I bought one of these last summer, but the 0ppm one (I live in a really soft water area) and have used it every time I wash my car.

It recommends that you don't use it with a power washer but I do and it's no problem at all.

I guess I must have used it on 40-50 occasions and the crystals are just starting to change colour so I'll need a new one, or a DI vessel in the near future.

My cars a grey colour, and the wife's is white, so it's not so noticeable as it would be on a black car but my windows are all streak free, so it's obviously still working.

I bought one of these last summer, but the 0ppm one (I live in a really soft water area) and have used it every time I wash my car.

It recommends that you don't use it with a power washer but I do and it's no problem at all.

I guess I must have used it on 40-50 occasions and the crystals are just starting to change colour so I'll need a new one, or a DI vessel in the near future.

My cars a grey colour, and the wife's is white, so it's not so noticeable as it would be on a black car but my windows are all streak free, so it's obviously still working.

Mines a black C Class - the DI is a delight to use - no more drying for me - just wash and go!!! All streak free - seems to deepen the shine as well - wiping down with a microfibre always seemed to take the edge off - hope this helps

I purchased a DI Vessel after reading the posts on here, I find it invaluable!

I take mine for a run after washing, wind seems to blow any drips off.

edited to add - I'm a lazy ******* when it comes to car washing.

Thanks for the replies guys. I live in a fairly hard water area. Looks like the DI vessel is the one to go for as opposed to the Aquagleem one. Which DI vessel should I go for?

I bought a DI vessel last summer and find it invaluable for washing my Obsidian Black W212. Like MicB, I live in Oxfordshire where the water is hard (typically my unfiltered water is around 370ppm TDS) and my drive is in the sun from around 7am until 5pm which meant that in the summer months it was completely impossible to wash my car without water spots drying on it before I could towel it off. With the DI vessel I can wash the car any time I like, in strong sun at high ambient temperatures, and I get absolutely no water spotting at all.

My DI vessel is a 7-litre one, bought before a few of us discovered the firm linked in Giantvanman's post. If I was buying again, I'd get the blue 11.4-litre one at the top of the linked DAQUA page.

You need a 0ppm filter and, as Giantvanman suggests, a TDS meter (I have the HM Digital TDS-3 Handheld one, available for around £15 from DAQUA) to check the output water as once it gets to 70ppm you will get slight water spotting and the TDS level tends to rise very quickly from that level with further use.

Regarding how often you need to change the resin, it depends on how hard your water is and how much water you use for each wash. My water is hard and I use a trigger on the end of a hose when I wash my car, rinsing it as I go. I get 8 or 9 washes before having to change the resin in my small filter, and I reckon I'll get four refills from one 25-litre bag of Tulsion MB-115. If you look at the Resin Combo Offers page on the DAQUA site, you can get a bag of resin complete with a DI Funnel for just over £80 delivered, which is what I bought.

Overall, I find it totally invaluable and only wish I'd known about them before as it would have saved me a whole bunch of effort when cleaning cars over the years.

Thanks Phil-So I basically need the vessel, the resin and a TDS meter to monitor the water output from the vessel and when it gets bad, empty the resin and replace? Do I need any other 'pre-filters' or just the stuff above?

Thanks Phil-So I basically need the vessel, the resin and a TDS meter to monitor the water output from the vessel and when it gets bad, empty the resin and replace? Do I need any other 'pre-filters' or just the stuff above?

That.

No pre-filter, just the stuff-the guy at Daqua were very helpful on the phone. The only other thing you will need is a length of hose to go between tap and filter and normal Hozelok type connectors. Your hose or jet wash goes on the other side of the twin male T on top of the cylinder.

Many thanks. Think I'll treat myself.

Well my 11.4 litre vessel filled with Tulson MB 115 arrived today after pacing my order around lunchtime yesterday. Couple of basic questions: Should I use it to dampen the car before washing and to blast any dirt off and also use it for my shampoo bucket or is that a waste of the filtered water? Or, should I just use it for the final rinse? What do you guys do?
For your info, my tap water reads at 306ppm on the TDS meter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom