The 2020 CL215 Owners Register

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Domestic Electrician ⚡...... coupe not ideal😂😂

Just finishing course this month, so wasn’t super motivated to sell as I love it so much.

Just found this thread and thanks for all of the fab information and history to date, really love my CL55 AMG (ok it is Silver and Black) but that was actually my favourite colour combo when looking and I am definitely learning as I go and keen to keep well maintained.
A warm welcometo the register, there are few of us at present but it is my intention to try and provide some authentic facts on the cars such that newcomers can readily access them without having to wade through reams of other material. So the low profile is deliberate.

SNIPPET

Body materials

M-B were contacted for authentic details & this is their reply:-

"Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.I am writing to you today in response to your recent enquiry in relation to the materials used on the external panels of the CLS 215.I have been contacted by our technical department who have unfortunately now advised that due to compliancy regulations this information is not something we are able to give out." ......... but there are more ways to skin a cat !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Detailed research reveals the following facts/opinions which are considered to be 95% accurate:-

Last edited:
SNIPPET

Body materials
"Thank you for contacting Mercedes-Benz Customer Service.I am writing to you today in response to your recent enquiry in relation to the materials used on the external panels of the CLS 215.I have been contacted by our technical department who have unfortunately now advised that due to compliancy regulations this information is not something we are able to give out." ......... but there are more ways to skin a cat !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Detailed research reveals the following facts/opinions which are considered to be 95% accurate:-

Front Wings ...Composite material. Polymide blend of materials - unreinforced thermoplastic (To reduce damage from minor impact)
Rear wings... Aluminium sheet
Doors... Outer shell (skin) Aluminium sheet metal. Inner shell is Magnesium.
Roof ...Aluminium
Boot Lid...Two fibreglass reinforced duroplastic shells bonded together.
Rear Quarter Panels...Aluminium sheet
Bumpers... bumpers consist of 3 items, an inner beam, an energy system core & a fascia.
The fascia consisting of modified elastomer & UV stabilised polypropylenes, commonly reinforced & foamed grades.
Elastomer modified grades in the fascia provide balanced toughness & rigidity to meet current regulations
Expanded polypropylene (EPP) foam is used on a variety of components such as mirror housings, bodyside strips, underbody trim, spoilers, wheel arch liners etc.
image_2021-01-13_174744.png

Location. East Midlands
Car. W211 E500 & CL 215

SNIPPET

Body materials

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Apologies my PC is corrupted !

Rear wings... Aluminium sheet
Where the C-Pillars meet the Rear Wings you have the Rubber insert, which are prone to Rust. which is a common fault on the 215

I was told the reason being is because the Pillar is aluminium and the wing is in fact steel and if the rubber seal fails then you get Corrosion due to the two metals being in contact with each other.

Having issues with central locking from fob? PSE Pump problems?

Found a terrific chap called Fawad (engineer) who knows these pumps inside and out. M PSE pump is now all repaired for £240. Popped it back in last night and hey presto! He asked if I needed the soft close on the doors as this puts extra strain on these pumps and if not he can adjust for longer shelf life, so I took that option. Will post details later for Fawad’s contact as if you have PSE pump issues on CL or SL, he is brilliant and a real gent to deal with. I did this all via post 😃.

Also the Pump was very simple for me to remove and refit.

Yes ,the PSE pump is prone to failure after substantial mileage/usage. The impellor disintegrates. Replacements are
available on Ebay & elsewhere. Detailed videos advise on impellor renewal & pump retuning can be found too.
The link from my unfinished post above was taken from my pump

Yes ,the PSE pump is prone to failure after substantial mileage/usage. The impellor disintegrates. Replacements are
available on Ebay & elsewhere. Detailed videos advise on impellor renewal & pump retuning can be found too.
The link from my unfinished post above was taken from my pump
I think you are rather more technically capable than me, that’s patently clear to me :) but I love to learn so, soaking this all up as I want to keep my CL55 in tip top condition and take on a few things myself where I can.

Just another to add to the register, 2004 cl55 amg komp, 27k from new, gotta keep the numbers up.

@ C43AMG. No problem Peter, "A picture is worth a thousand words"
It is pleasing to know that these cars have so little steel in the outer bodywork.

Just another to add to the register, 2004 cl55 amg komp, 27k from new, gotta keep the numbers up.
Welcome twinstar, very pleasing to have a car with such low mileage. Is there a story behind it ?
Has it been stored perhaps ?

Be good to see everyone’s CLs’ with some more detail if everyone is up for it with a photo:

2002 CL55 AMG (215)
Purchased Jan 2020
Silver with Black Interior
56,565 miles
Full Service History
Gloucestershire

Why I bought it:
I wanted a weekend hobby car that was a big V8, stylish, comfortable, rapid and importantly had at least 4 seats, so large enough to fit entire family in (Wifey, 18 year old daughter and 15 year old son) and something that might increase in value.

What else I considered:
6 Series BMW

Peter

Attachments

• 1504AB85-1C61-499E-904D-4E233EA15C05.jpeg
    1504AB85-1C61-499E-904D-4E233EA15C05.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 4
I had mine for 4 years, and sold it to WG-MB about 4 years ago(who still has it). Miss it every day. Silver with black interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom