The correct battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Catman

Car
Mercedes E240
:confused:Last year I part exchanged my W126 for a 1999 E240 petrol. The car failed to start recently, so I went to a local garage to get the battery checked. I was told that I needed a new battery, as the current one was on its last legs. The one in the car was a Bosch S4 007, so I got the same one to replace it (for less than half the price that the stealership wanted). Everything seems to be OK at the moment. However, I wonder if this is the correct battery? It may have been changed (I know for a fact that the radio has been). I rang Mercedes, but they said that they only supply Mercedes batteries - now as Mercedes do not make batteries, they probably re-badge someone elses. So, I have two questions, which I hope an E240 owner or a Mercedes savvy person will be able to answer.

1. What battery was fitted to this car when it was built?

2. How do you work out how old the battery is, as I would like to know how old the battery is that I have just replaced. I have googled for an explanation - but to no avail. The only stick-on labels on the battery have a bar code as well as numbers, but I am unable to make any sense out of them. So just how and where do you read the date on a Bosch battery?

Generally speaking, most MB batteries are made by Varta who also make the Bosch batteries.
That doesn't mean they are all alike though.
Varta make 3 main ranges without going into AGM batteries.
The blue batteries are the mid range and should be more than enough for a 240 petrol. What Ah have you got?

Many don't have the date written on them, I always write the date on my battery when I fit a new one, so much easier than digging out paperwork etc.

S4007 BOSCH SILVER Car Battery
(BOSCH DIN: 572 409 068)
4 Years Guarantee
Voltage - 12V
Capacity - 72Ah
CCA (EN) - 680A
should be fine with a CCA of 680A for a petrol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom