The missing RHD AMG Hammer????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nav Bhander (KLP92) came round to check out the 560E in more detail...we verified the following (after I lent him one of my baby's bibs to control the drool !)

- the seat leathers are IDENTICAL to the the door paenl inserts, which we know are AMG...the colour, texture, design AND stitching of the leather on the seats is identical between ALL 4 seats and door inserts. The door inserts, seat leathers and armrest leather are ALL IDENTICAL

- the rear seat base and backrest ARE identical : not different as claimed in the first post of this thread

- the sunroof looks as close to genuine MB as possible : the mechanism, runners are top quality and the functionality cream smooth...the rust around the sunroof seal in places is as per any w124 which has been a daily runner

- rust on doors is virtually non existent...a and b pillars are clean as are the undersides of the doors....rare sight on a w124..same goes for the trunk and bonnet areas...excellent condition !

- color code is confirmed as 040 ...THE colour to die for on a w124...this is also the same color code on one of my w124 500E...of course this Hammer wants a good polish to restore that 040 brilliance....!

I'll leave Nav give his own thoughts on the car...but all we could do was stand and stare at the car...and think...'what a bargain !'....!!!!

Took Nav for a ride in my AMG 560SEC....AMG cams in the 300bhp engine, 722.370 transmission with EZL link for ultra fast downshifts and a 2.82 rear diff.....REAL fun drive !

cheers
talbir

Thanks bro!

Well what can i say?? I saw 14 MBs, 1 porsche and 2 DOHC engines in 1 day, in one drive!

Well a few pics:

img2933hd8.jpg

img2937dg3.jpg

img2940uc6.jpg

img2941jo7.jpg

img2951kx5.jpg

img2952pd1.jpg

img2955bd8.jpg

img2963li3.jpg

img2961zm1.jpg

img2959yc9.jpg

img2945wt9.jpg

img2946ov2.jpg

img2936jq2.jpg

Niiiice car!! :cool:

I can't be the only one kicking themself. If only...

560e

Firstly the car isn't bad for a rusty old clapped out banger :D

Seriously, i was surprised at how good the car actually is. Bearing in mind the fact its 20 odd years old the car has held up exceptionally well. On glance their is no visible rust bar the roof, the arches are just beginning to bubble up. The rest of the car could do with a good mop to restore the deep gloss shine. In all honesty if you wanted to restore the paintwork to an acceptable level, £500 would do. Needless to say T will be putting new wings and giving the whole thing a lick of paint. He's even planning to remove the engine and detail the entire engine and repaint the engine bay :eek:

The interior is in excellent condition, no cracks or holes. The entire interior inc the back seats are leather (genuine cow hide not immitation). There is no signs of damage apart fron the front door cards where the vinyl is peeling away from the glass join. The roof lining is sagging and could benefit from being replaced. All in all i would budget £50-60 for used door cards, £100 for retrimmed headlining. The bolster on the driver's seat could do with a touch in £20 max. The rest of the seats don't even need a clean!

Engine wise, first time start, no smoke on start up, no tappet noise, just a burble from the V8! At most i would give it a major service/plugs/leads/dizzy cap and rotor arm. There will be change from £300.

Wheels will need a complete refurb, no curbing just bubbling on paint. £160-180.

I would say it was a bargain at £11k!

Took Nav for a ride in my AMG 560SEC....AMG cams in the 300bhp engine, 722.370 transmission with EZL link for ultra fast downshifts and a 2.82 rear diff.....REAL fun drive !

cheers
talbir

I was left in fear of my life :eek: At speeds of 50mph the rear end was still fishtailing :D

The g/box and diff make alot of difference, there is a noticable difference in terms of power delivery compared to mine. Well a few more future mods.....

Bargain !

When you think of the exclusivity, the heritage not to mention the power. Combined with the fact that this car will never depreciate, its an absolute steal.

You could (like many members here) go out and spend three times as much on something newer but frankly mundane, which will depreciate £10k in one year alone.

I know which one is the more sensible choice.

whats an EZL link... I want one!!!!

The EZL refers to the ignition control unit on the pass side engine firewall, behind the headlamp....there is a 2-pin wire which links from the gearbox to the speedo to the CIS....under certain parameters, i.e. hard acceleration, that loom connecting EZL, CIS, gearbox and speedo retards timing to give a lightning fast downshift. Whilst some of the ECE 560s have this link, the gearbox is not as torquey or reactive as the 722.370, so whereas you wait half-a-second for the lazy 560 gearbox to think about downshift, the 722.370 is instant !

talbir

so what car is the 722.370 fitted to? I assume thats the later W140/R129 type?

Bargain !

When you think of the exclusivity, the heritage not to mention the power. Combined with the fact that this car will never depreciate, its an absolute steal.

You could (like many members here) go out and spend three times as much on something newer but frankly mundane, which will depreciate £10k in one year alone.

I know which one is the more sensible choice.

I agree - and even in isolation this car is worth a bomb. The facts are :

- it is the one single 5.6 Hammer in the world

- it has ALL of it's original AMG upgrades intact - speedo, engine, gearbox valve body, exhaust with exception of rear box, Gleason Torsen, interior, AMG steering wheel and all correct period AMG bodykit...just two AMG Aero Is to fit in place of the wrongly fitted facelift ones

- 560E badge

- original factory 040 color coded car.....not something that started life of as a different colour and was then painted 040 black after the event

Add to the AMG/Stratton history the Beatles/ELO connection (previous V5s and George Harrison signed VS in the file) and the price rockets.

Not that i'd ever sell !

cheers
talbir

so what car is the 722.370 fitted to? I assume thats the later W140/R129 type?

yep, w140 s500 upto 95, and r129 sl500 upto 95.

but if poss, get one from a w124 500 e 500....the 722.370s in the 500e have a modified valve body and uprated clutch packs to deal with extra torque....a 560SEC m117 in stock form has slightly more torque lbft than a stock r129/s500 m119 (335 versus 332)....but remember the 500e has more torque than the sl/s 500 m119s (359 versus 332). So if you plan to mod your 560 engine, ideal to start with a 500e gearbox.

This w124 560E has official AMG spec of 377 lb ft torque !!!!!! :eek: That's what hauls it from 0-60 so damn quick in 5 secs flat ! BHP is important, but torque is king....in boxing terms, bhp is how fast you can punch....torque is how HARD you can punch !

talbir

hmm definately something to think about... ive always said that the only thing that lets the M117 down is the gearbox its mated to...

hmm definately something to think about... ive always said that the only thing that lets the M117 down is the gearbox its mated to...

Defo worth doing...ther are plenty of s500s in breakers yards and you should find a gearbox with warranty for approx 600gbp...and all you need to change is the rear tail shaft (140/129 is 4 spoke and 126 is 3 spoke)...that swap takes 30 seconds using a 30mm 12-sided socket.

Then swap over the tail housing plate and job done...bolt pattern on bell housing is identical.

Thre will be more vacuum pipe inlets on the gearbox from a w140/r129 due to the delayed upshift on cold start for cat warm up...simply ignore those.

talbir

no electrical wiring changes to do? What about the selector mechanism?

"so what car is the 722.370 fitted to? I assume thats the later W140/R129 type?"

"yep, w140 s500 upto 95, and r129 sl500 upto 95."

From the MB Technical data passenger cars (October 1993), the 722.370 box was fitted to the W140.050 500 S, W140.051 500 SEL and W140.070 SEC, but perhaps the R129 (listed as having the 722.364 box) got it after that was published.

no electrical wiring changes to do?

Nope....all existing plugs on the 560 gearbox go straight onto the 722.370....of course if your 560 does not have the EZL link loom, which links on the pass side of the gearbox, next to the speedo probe, you will have to source that and wire it up....not hard to do.

talbir

no electrical wiring changes to do? What about the selector mechanism?

No changes to selector mechanism either....selector points on a w140/r129 500 are identical upto 95.

Simply hook up your existing selector linkage to the 722.370...literally there is nothing to do apart from changing the tailshaft and tail plate. I have done it on my 560...couldn't be an easier upgrade !

talbir

hi talbir just wondering if you know what the differences are between the 722.370 and 722.365 boxes in the 500e. also would love to hear more about the 6.2 conversion your doing. well done getting your hands on the 560e.
atb gerry

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom