Votes: 88 77.9%
  • Middlish brand

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • Budget brand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Long as it is black and round

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, they (Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance) were cheaper than Contis - £340 fitted for all four ... :thumb:

Very pleased with them an all accounts: much quieter; with a nice planted feel (due to extra 10mm width, I suspect); better wet road handling; better mpgs; and my speedo is practically spot on now, due to extra 8mm in diameter.

I need a definition of what is a premium tyre before I can vote. For example, the OEM tyres on my S205 were made by Hankook. Is that premium? A few years ago they were regarded as cheap Korean junk. Hankook say they aspire to be a premium brand, but are they? Hankook are now the 7th largest tyre manufacturer in the world but does that equate to them being a premium brand? They appear to perform perfectly well on my MB and I would fit them again without hesitation but I'm not sure how I would classify their quality grade.

Last edited:
The definition of Premium, Budget etc can only be based on price.

Fortunately, there are so many variables in Tyre design that the price is only a VERY rough guide to performance.

Hence a Premium tyre could perform badly aor vixce-versa.

The only way to find out is an independant test, taking all aspects of the tyre's performance into account (not just wet grip) . Not always available, so tyre buying becomes a leap in the dark...

I've had really crap Goodyears, Continentals, Pirellis (especially) but never Michelin.

OTOH, certain Nankang (Chinese) tyres I've tried have seriously out-performed "Premium" brands for less than 1/2 of the cost.

With online reviews increasingly available, it's much easier to make an informed choice these days. The status (or price) of the tyre should only be considered after the performance has been checked...

Replaced the Falkens on my Wife's VW GOLF 2.0 TDi which had very alarming splits inbetween the tread grooves . Had a set of DAVANTI tyres fitted,( yes never heard of them before either !! ).
They are very quiet and so far have proved to be good in both wet and dry conditions.

I always fit the exact make/model the car came with.

No point in compromising on things like tyres or brakes.

As someone else pointed out, tyre models change quite often so it's often not possible to get the same. That's also why I think the MO designation is pointless, especially on older cars as the tyres can't have been tested on every model.

My car came with Bridgestone Turanza's from new and it was like driving on iron rings. Made a dramatic difference putting Michelin Primacy's on.

Interestingly manufacturers seem to continue and make older models of tyres for several years after newer ones are introduced. Conti still sell the 'lower' numbers in their model range, some of which are more than 10 years old now. So do Dunlop. I am sure others do the same.

I don't specifically go for a "Premium" manufacturer. I used to - and I was badly let down by Michelin.

Now I buy tyres based on their performance (grip is most important to me, road noise less so, wear relatively unimportant) and the recommendation of the owner of the local tyre supplier who I have dealt with for many years. (BTW - the Michelin were not supplied by him - they were fitted from new on my W204)

Currently running Vredestein on 19" aftermarket alloys fitted to the (W163) ML (replacing the original 17" alloys which had been fitted with Dunlop tyres after the original MB supplied tyres needed replacement.) The car rides far better on 19" than it did on the original 17".

Specifically on his recommendation I have Kumho Ecsta Sport on the BMW (having removed the runflats while my spine was still relatively undamaged) and I'm very happy with them.

After a bad experience with budget tyres many years ago (when I knew no better - and could not have afforded better anyway) I'm quite happy to pay for good tyres.

Last edited:
So, what do you do?

When it comes to new tyre do you buy...

I have a matched set of four Contis on each of my cars , and a budget tyre in the boot for a spare - it only needs to get me home if I have a puncture .

Pirelli P Zero Rosso - not bad in the dry - dreadful in the wet. Bought the car with them on.

If they weren't nearly new they'd be gone. Will just have to wear them out before winter :D

The poll is going very well.

So, what have we learnt..........

That most people on a car forum prefer premium tyres? :D

I am sure that is true. Even if it has been stated in other threads that some budget tyres can be just as good these days. Going by the poll results, I would beg to differ. Unless, of course we love to waste money :)

:dk:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom