Thoughts on moving from a S204 C63 to facelift S212 E63?

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
If I did go for an S212 then it would have to be the FL as it looks a bit more modern and I'd forever be comparing an M156 engined E63 with the C63 if I went that route.
If you’re that way inclined then you’ll be forever comparing the M157 to the M156, the S212 rob the S204, etc 😁

Bobby Dazzler

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
ML AMG-line Black Series
the 4 ltr V8 is monstrously fast, but lacks any soul in my view (not a fan of fake pops and crackles).
Which year S213 E 63 did you drive? Just reflecting on whether you are likely to be satisfied (or not) with the M157.

2019+ cars with an OPF lose a little volume and character, but the pre-OPF cars are no more/less charismatic than the M157.

OP
OP
ZeeDee

ZeeDee

Car
C63 PPP Estate
Which year S213 E 63 did you drive? Just reflecting on whether you are likely to be satisfied (or not) with the M157.

2019+ cars with an OPF lose a little volume and character, but the pre-OPF cars are no more/less charismatic than the M157.
Ah sadly it was a PFL car that I drove. I found the sound almost a bit fake if I'm honest (isn't some sound piped through the speakers?). I guess only a test drive will tell me how they compare.

sgregory124

Car
C63S AMG Saloon (2017), C36 AMG (1997), E46 M3 (2001)
Ah sadly it was a PFL car that I drove. I found the sound almost a bit fake if I'm honest (isn't some sound piped through the speakers?). I guess only a test drive will tell me how they compare.
I can't comment on the 4.0TT in the S213, but in my W205 C63S the engine sound is most definitely NOT piped into the cabin. Not sure why people think it sounds fake, from inside and outside the car it sounds positively seismic - particularly on wide open throttle in the higher RPM range (windows up or windows down).

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, GBS Zero, Defender 110 Wolf, Defender 110 hard top, Octavia vRS, LDV Maxus camper
Active Blind Spot Assist
Active Lane Keeping Assist
BAS with Junction Assist
DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot
PRE-SAFE Brake
PRE-SAFE Plus

I had it on both my pre-facelift and my facelift E63's and it is significantly better and more functional on the facelift car.

Like rocking-horse manure, I'm afraid. Note also that the reversing camera was optional equipment on all but the last year of production when it became standard, so check it's present if you want it.
I really wanted the 360 and reversing cameras but was too inpatient. I don't miss them... for such a large car visibility is very good.

Personally I don't care for driver aids much...as long as there's cruise control...I wouldn't use the rest. So unless it's essential to you I wouldn't let it rule your search.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
Personally I don't care for driver aids much...as long as there's cruise control...I wouldn't use the rest.
Completely agree that the driver aids are very much a personal choice.

Before I experienced them I was ambivalent about them, but the Distronic Plus with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot is superb for motorway trips and - perhaps surprisingly - is brilliant in heavy town-speed traffic too. While I wouldn't necessarily have turned down a car without it before owning two that did, I really miss it now neither of our cars have it.

OP
OP
ZeeDee

ZeeDee

Car
C63 PPP Estate
For me personally, a big factor in moving from a C to an E Class is the extra refinement and toys I can get, so I'd definitely want to hold out for a car with everything I want, even if that means waiting a while. I'm happy to retrofit an LSD but things like the 360 cam (my wife would be horrified if I turned up in a car the size of an S212 and it didn't have 360 cams lol) are much more difficult fit. Even my C63 has blind spot assist (useful for motorway slogs) so I'd at least want that. Prices are super high at the moment anyway, so unless the perfect car came along, I'm happy to wait to see how the cost of living increases over the coming year has an impact on second hand prices.

Rich764089

MB Enthusiast
Car
E63 AMG S212 5.5, GBS Zero, Defender 110 Wolf, Defender 110 hard top, Octavia vRS, LDV Maxus camper
For me personally, a big factor in moving from a C to an E Class is the extra refinement and toys I can get, so I'd definitely want to hold out for a car with everything I want, even if that means waiting a while. I'm happy to retrofit an LSD but things like the 360 cam (my wife would be horrified if I turned up in a car the size of an S212 and it didn't have 360 cams lol) are much more difficult fit. Even my C63 has blind spot assist (useful for motorway slogs) so I'd at least want that. Prices are super high at the moment anyway, so unless the perfect car came along, I'm happy to wait to see how the cost of living increases over the coming year has an impact on second hand prices.
I think there's one ending on collecting cars this evening from memory it's 2015, 39k miles, FSH. Looks decent.

OP
OP
ZeeDee

ZeeDee

Car
C63 PPP Estate
That does look like a very nice example. Admittedly iridium silver is my least favourite colour on the E63... It looks handsome but too sedate for me (diamond white with black pack and wheels being the ideal).

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
(diamond white with black pack and wheels being the ideal).
My facelift car was Diamond White with Night Pack. It’s a lovely colour, but impossible to touch up and incredibly difficult to match if it ever needs a repair. My advice would be to be careful what you wish for.

TrueSpirit

Car
W212 E63 Amg S
The 213 is a huge step up in tech and the 4.0l is divine. While it doesn't have the boom of the 6.2l, the pops and bangs are a riot. Couple that with the performance and its in a different league to the 212 and 204. Everything works flawlessly too. Problem is you pay a huge premium and the ride is stiff

The 212 is comfortablish, is a step down from the 213 in every other respect apart from ride and engine. I love my 212 and the engine is incredible, but the transmission on the 213 blows me away as does the ability to put the power down.

I'd say keep the 204 and get the Mrs a qashqai 😅😅

Mark83

Car
W204 C63 PPP family wagon
Is that you, Zish?

I'm looking at a W212 E63 myself but wondering if you're looking to sell my old car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom