Thoughts on this ML280 for SWMBO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It’s very tidy looking but I wonder if you’d prefer one with a higher spec? There’s not even heated seats for example.
No heated seats does seem odd with a leather interior, is that descent control I can see too?

I’d look at removing that Parrot kit too and fitting the Bluetooth puck.

Car was very tidy indeed and couldn’t find much at all to fault it. Drove perfectly, no smoke on several startups and during drive. Slight fly in the ointment is £555 road tax and on the juicy side which probably puts the overall running costs closer to something 3 years old with a higher purchase price such as quashqai, Tucson etc as has been said but need to look at the numbers more closely.

Was really pleasantly surprised with the ride quality and drive on springs rather than airmatic also.

Will provide a further update tomorrow, been a long day.

You are the only one who can decide if the car is the right one for you.
I can only say that my wife had a similar age ML320 with same colour interior for six years and loved it.
It was only when I had 2 x company cars that we sold it after 70k trouble free miles.
She still looks back on that car fondly and was the main reason we bought a GLE in 2017.
No young kids at that stage, but 2 dogs and the interior remained unmarked.

I had a CLS at the time......

IMGP6071.jpeg

Last edited:
Ruining costs will be higher than on a newer non MB SUV (including that tax) or a C class estate

B Class instead?

Pothole friendly though!

Ruining costs will be higher than on a newer non MB SUV (including that tax) or a C class estate

B Class instead?

Pothole friendly though!

Each to their own and I am not in any way saying the OP has made the wrong choice here as I own a GL myself;

BUT

These clonky old 4x4 (I definitely include the GL in this statement), why would you unless you needed to?

On the motorway they come into their own with excellent visibility and a very comfy ride, but in any other circumstances my 535d touring knocks it into a cocked hat. They are cumbersome, hard to drive on B roads (body roll, physical width, and lack of grunt) expensive to fuel, expensive to tax, plenty to go wrong etc etc.

A newer more road focused one might be the best of both worlds, high driving position, lower running costs, and more fun. That’s got me thinking now......

I considered one a while back , there were a couple of things that put me off :

Tax at £550 p/a , as i am already paying similar for the BM i could not justify almost £1k a year to do my 3k annual miles.

My budget (£5 - £6k) would mean it would have been an older higher mileage model i was considering , which brings potential higher repair / maintenance bills.

Extra insurance costs , being an MB puts it into a higher insurance bracket.

Thirsty vehicle around town where most of my driving is done.

There was also an X5 / Q7 / Cayenne in the mix but they were dismissed for similar reasons.

Ended up with a £3.5k 2011 Forester Diesel , half the road tax , 40 mpg around town , basic (reliable) constant 4WD system , van like with the rear seats down , £40 extra to add it to my BM insurance policy , not as big as the other considerations so easier to live with on a daily basis.

K

Each to their own and I am not in any way saying the OP has made the wrong choice here as I own a GL myself;

BUT

These clonky old 4x4 (I definitely include the GL in this statement), why would you unless you needed to?

On the motorway they come into their own with excellent visibility and a very comfy ride, but in any other circumstances my 535d touring knocks it into a cocked hat. They are cumbersome, hard to drive on B roads (body roll, physical width, and lack of grunt) expensive to fuel, expensive to tax, plenty to go wrong etc etc.

A newer more road focused one might be the best of both worlds, high driving position, lower running costs, and more fun. That’s got me thinking now......
Body roll and lack of grunt needn’t be an issue. You need a AMG SUV!

Apart from very old multi story car parks and Eurostar, I don’t find the size of an ML/GL to be a problem in the slightest. Both my wife and I have them as our main family/work cars and the size hasn’t been an issue.

Body roll and lack of grunt needn’t be an issue. You need a AMG SUV!

Apart from very old multi story car parks and Eurostar, I don’t find the size of an ML/GL to be a problem in the slightest. Both my wife and I have them as our main family/work cars and the size hasn’t been an issue.

An AMG 4x4 doesn’t fall into the clonky category, but, if I had the kind of financial firepower to run one of those over 30k miles a year I’d keep our diesel GL and buy a sports car too

If your wife cant park a tiny car without hitting other cars why get something like that?

A C class is plenty big enough for two small kids.
I think the op was referring to other careless motorists opening doors carelessly causing car park dings.....

Looks a good car-dealer has a very good rating and mot history looks sound(just a few advisories on last one.),good luck if you decide on it.

Yes my mum acquired a new dent recently "by a unknown person in the multistorey" Funny that they must have had bricks taped to their bumpers what with the residue left on her car ...... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom