Thoughts on this please...e class estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't fancy a 320cdi? Would have throught a better bet than a 280 petrol.

Real world, what's it like in terms of performance? Running costs? Are facelift afflicted by as much rust?

RUST is the biggy. If you can't see it...they've hidden it.

Looks fair value, especially if the bodywork is as clean as it looks. Its likely to have had paint at some stage to get rid of rust, but thats no bad thing at this age and mileage.

280 engine is bullet proof....if you can deal with 26mpg (avg) then I dont see how you can go wrong, especially if you can haggle the price down even further.

I had a 1999 W210 estate with plenty of rust, (battled it for years but still returned) l believe though that the later ones were not quite so bad. You need to look carefully, rust in normal places, arches etc but look under rubbers at TOP of doors, battery housing under rear seats, jacking points. Great cars, strong, masses of space, smooth ride and comfortable.

£2,500 and drive away with a smile on your face.

Thanks for all the responses. I drove an e240 once it was the most gutless engine. Would this be leagues apart? I am avoiding the diesel route as the bork factor simply increases with a higher miler...plus the mileage I do would not warrant derv. What to do?!

It looks good superficially although steering wheel looks far shinier on 108k miles than mine did when I sold it on 151k. Drivers doormat does not inspire either.

I have no experience of this engine but 320cdi must offer far better performance and economy.

Diesels like long miles per journey, see many threads on ECU problems.

Petrol for short journeys 10-20 miles per go.

A 280 petrol will go like a 320 diesel. 200 horses will make it move. Drive it.
Want to go quicker than the 240? - get more cubes like a V8, and its fuel bill.
My 320 petrol gets 22-30mpg depending, it's a wee bit quicker.
It can feel lazy until you jab your foot down and then it, goes.

The E T-Wagen is a big tank. They need a big motor.
The Av sus with lo-pros can be a bit numb-bum. Its "16-in alloys" look like 18-in lo-pro(?). Check the spec, much of it standard Av fitments. Concur xenon not bi-xenon (standard Av).

My mat has a hole in it at 100k, get a new mat.
Shiny wheel could be been valeted.

The 320 cdi will be quicker than the 280, having more torque...as fast as the 320.

My last car was a E280 2000 W210. Check to see if the car is a UK car or import as this was at the time when the UK price was some 8k more than the price in Holland. Rear wiper motors tend to have parking problems so check it works although easy fix and not too expensive. E280 has more than enough power and will return 26-28 mpg depending on how heavy your right foot is. Gearbox was "sealed for life" which changed later to 37k fluid and filter change so I would check if ever changed and make sure the changes are smooth. I would also look at models with PDC as its a big car and will be a plus point when selling. Rust is a nightmare and you seem to fight a losing battle, check for signs around headlights, arches, A piller, roof near windscreen, rear tailgate, spring mounts, door bottoms. Bushes will likely be shot unless replaced prior, check for fluid leaks at head and rocker cover and rear diffs where the sealent tends to perish. Cats are likely reaching end of life although they can go for much longer.

Thanks for all the responses. I drove an e240 once it was the most gutless engine. Would this be leagues apart? I am avoiding the diesel route as the bork factor simply increases with a higher miler...plus the mileage I do would not warrant derv. What to do?!

The 280 is vastly better than the 240. Fuel consumption is about the same.

sorry gents what is the "bork factor " please ?
Borked is when something is or is likely to wrong. Bork in the case I mentioned further up referred to turbo, injection, dpf etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom