Time for new Motorcycle Boots - Suggestions, please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
I know this predominately a car forum, but there are also quite a few bikers on here so I thought I'd ask anyway :)

I've been wearing a pair of the long-since discontinued Alpinestar Gore-Tex Touring boots for more years than I can remember. They've been fantastic: totally waterproof, comfortable both on and off the bike, light, cool enough to wear in 35C+ temps yet not too cold in lower (say 8C) temps but they're now falling apart and beyond repair.

As I don't read the bike comics (much) I'm out of touch with what's available and therefore am asking for recommendations for replacement boots. So, here are my requirements:
  1. Must be totally waterproof, i.e. have a Gore-Tex or similar membrane
  2. Must be comfortable for all-day wear
  3. Must be comfortable for walking around in (I spend time off the bike when I'm touring, too!)
  4. Must not cause feet to overheat in high temps - these are for use in temps from (say) 8C through 30C
Other buying considerations are that they should preferably be light(ish), they don't need toe sliders, ankle sliders, heel sliders, etc, but should provide comfortable shin and ankle protection. My feet are quite wide (F or G fitting) so anything that tends to be on the narrow side is out, as is anything that will only do up over pencil-thin calfs.

Suggestions, please!

Comes up a lot - I have Daytona Roadstar Goretex, they are in a different league to everything else I've tried in terms of comfort and design. And if you wear bits out, you can supposedly send them back and they repair it for you.

Ade

I use HG's T1R GoreTex low boots...anything higher simply won't go round my calf muscle.

Comfy, waterproof, warm in winter but not overbearing in summer, have survived 6mths of daily commute/abuse without looking like something the cat dragged in.

Spidi boots are nice too!

Kate

Thanks all for the responses. As a result of comments here and on other forums I'm going to seek out a stockist of Daytona boots and give them a try. If they fit then I'll buy a pair, but if they don't I'll probably take a trip up to Yorkshire and go see Altberg.

Just to close this one out...

I've bought a pair of Daytona Road Star Goretex. If you have wide feet like me they are a godsend as they're optionally available in a wide fitting - a fact the dealer didn't know :rolleyes: , but that I'd already ascertained both from the Daytona website and had confirmed during a conversation with the UK Distributor Tran Am

As Ade B says: they are in a different league to everything else in terms of comfort and design.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Good choice, I have Daytona Roadstar Goretex too. I've also got 2 other pairs of Daytona boots that are thinner (one black and one in Beneton colours), I can't remember if those ones have Goretex or not but they are really comfy. I even had a 4th pair of Daytona's that were more of an off-road style and they were good too but a zip went.

I've only ever had one pair of boots that weren't Daytona and they were Sidi racing boots for the summer. Good too but not what you're looking for.

I have a pair of Spidi SP5's and a pair of Vendramini something-or-other. Both are extrememly comfy, but I've never ridden either in the rain so can't ascertain to their water-tightness....

The vedramini's have been through an accident though, and are still as good as new...

I had a pair of BMW's way back that were lovely. Waterproof, not overhot and plain black with only the tiniest logo. When they finally gave up the ghost i went back to replace them and they'd been discontinued. :mad:

i have alpinestars now that i cant recommend and secretly hoping they die soon so I'll be forced to go shopping again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom