Timing chain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mykulmerc

Car
W209 CLK 270 Avantgarde
A friend has a "51" plate Mondeo 2.0 TDCi LX (115). Her tame mechanic was talking about timing belt replacement - until then I was sure they had chains not belts (engines should be held together with bits of metal, not elastic bands)

I did just check this to make sure I wasn't going loopy, but in the process have references to replacing the chain as you would a belt.

Can anybody confirm/deny this. I always thought a chain was as good as permanent, as is the case on my W202.

Generally, the timing chains on modern MBs are good for the life of the car.

But - as belts can fail spontaneously, so can chains. Worth getting to know the sound of your engine so you can spot any unusual sounds early on.

If the tensioner was to fail, the chain could become slack and jump. Or in rare cases a worn/damaged chain could snap.

But - on the whole failure is quite rare, and unless you've covered very high mileage (200/300k+) then I'd not think you'd have anything to worry about :)

Will

Thanks - thats what I thought. It was the Mundano that I wanted to check on..

according to my book the mondeo has a cam chain not a belt and I cannot find a reference to it needing to be changed in the service shedule

Autodata says chain tddi engine and tdci engine both chain drive but never looked at one in the flesh.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom