• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Top half tank

Mbstarz

Car
Mercedes c220 cdi sport
Why is it that the top half tank always gives more miles than the bottom? All my cars have done this..

Because the top half is bigger than the bottom half :D Being a bit more serious the design/fitment of fuel tank senders means the float will run out of travel before the tank is actually full as it, err, floats on the fuel. Especially if you properly brim the tank by squeezing a bit more in after the pump has clicked off. On the flip side only a designer that's stupid (or has an evil sense of humour) will arrange for the gauge to read empty when the tank is actually empty. I design and fabricate fuel tanks amongst other things for a living and usually arrange things so the gauge will read empty at least a litre before it actually is- more if the sender/gauge combo doesn't include a reserve warning light. Doing it this way makes it more difficult to run out fuel even if the driver likes playing petrol station roulette

I re-calibrated our vans fuel gauges to read empty but with 5 liters left in the tanks.

Saves dragging the crap off the bottom of the tank and gives @ 45-50 emergency miles if the nearest garage is closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom