• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Torque setting Nm 9 - Is that tight?

tpwuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 BlueTEC W212
Just found out the torque settings for the bolts holding the rear mounting wall in my W208, which creaks from time to time.

Strange question but how tight in Nm 9? Is it very tight?

Not very tight at all. Just done up finger tight then about a half turn. Approx!!

Last edited:
To put it into perspective. 9Nm is approx 61/2 ft/lbs in old money.

Imagine a spanner 1 ft long acting horizontally on your bolt with a weight of 61/2 lbs suspended on the end.

You can get a torque wrench from most motoring shops, Halfords, Machine Mart etc. Not that expensive and always handy to have for peace of mind that you have the correct torque settings.

The Halfords professional range (although more expensive than Sealey etc) is very good and should last a lifetime if looked after. LINK.

Thing with small bolts is that sometimes from the factory they come with thread locker compound on the threads to stop vibration from loosening them off. This has no relationship to the torque they are set at on assembly but once "loosened off "should be renewed. Many garages don't do this preferring to over-torque the bolts instead. If you buy fasteners from Merc they usually come with thread locker compound on them often blue colour on bolts and red on screws. Thread locker can be bought independently from most motor factors to be used on old fasteners.

Thing with small bolts is that sometimes from the factory they come with thread locker compound on the threads to stop vibration from loosening them off. This has no relationship to the torque they are set at on assembly but once "loosened off "should be renewed. Many garages don't do this preferring to over-torque the bolts instead. If you buy fasteners from Merc they usually come with thread locker compound on them often blue colour on bolts and red on screws. Thread locker can be bought independently from most motor factors to be used on old fasteners.

Interesting. Although it doesn't mention thread locker on WIS for the removal / install procedure for the rear mounting wall. I wonder if thread locker would permanently resolve my creaking. hmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom