Total Care Package

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plgibson

Car
S350L W222 + C 220 W204
Anybody got experiance of this package.
I estimate a set of tyres is going to last approx 18 mths and at £800 to replace + servicing this don't sound a bad deal or are my maths totally wrong?

I've just been sent the bumf too. I'm thinking about the Total Care + Tyres option, £70 a month for my C class. I'll do 15k a year and keeping the car for 3 years.

£2250 for 3 years. If a set of 4 boots is to last 20k (18 months), at say £700 for the 4, I'd spend £1400 on tyres when owning the car, leaving £850 for 3 services, say £300 per service?

Doesnt sound like you *make* money, but I guess its a good way of taking any sting out of an unexpected bill; eg having to fork out £700 for tyres the week before Xmas say, or just before pay day etc etc.

WOW, what a coincident, imagine that i am reading the post and come across a responce from Andy Jenkins, whats so coincidental about that i here you say!! well my name is Andy Jenkins, not that we are unique i have came across at least two others at work not spoken to them just emailed.

Any way all the best AJ from AJ, attached is a picture of Andy Jenkins with his AJ private plate

apologies plgibson for hijacking your thread.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss155/Ajenks_photos/IMG_0580.jpg?t=1257282634

Come on; there must be someone out there who's bought the Total Care package?

Or is it really that bad a deal ?

Service Plus was a forerunner, and that was a great deal by-and-large. Every other thread was on it for a while. Lots of people were sceptical - and it took a while for it to catch on - at which point it was pulled because it was costing too much. Doh!!

Sadly I don't know enough about this new fandangled version and not seen any threads on the subject thus far. Sorry I can't be of more help Andy Jenkins's (both of you).

Ahhh - "Service Plus" ...... no wonder I couldn't find much about TotalCare. I'll search around for that. If the principle is the same, there may be enough info.

Cheers

Its service plus and tyres
inc brakes (disc +pads) wipers and all filters
Tyres are replaced at 3mm?

Service Plus had a very large scope covering parts and labour for everything apart from manufacturing defects. Particularly appealing after year 3 as it pretty much acted as an extended warranty. The general consensus was that MB had not meant it to be so wide and consequently pulled it.

I'm not sure the new scheme is as good, but it is cheaper. I was paying £120 a month for 26K miles a year on a 3 year plan. It did not include tyres, but did include everything else

I've just been sent the bumf too. I'm thinking about the Total Care + Tyres option, £70 a month for my C class. I'll do 15k a year and keeping the car for 3 years.

£2250 for 3 years. If a set of 4 boots is to last 20k (18 months), at say £700 for the 4, I'd spend £1400 on tyres when owning the car, leaving £850 for 3 services, say £300 per service?

Doesnt sound like you *make* money, but I guess its a good way of taking any sting out of an unexpected bill; eg having to fork out £700 for tyres the week before Xmas say, or just before pay day etc etc.

Does it include wear and tear items like pads and discs? If so then you need to factor that in too..
An A service is £199 and a B service is £299 - then brake fluid every two years, ATF every 50,000 miles, filters etc are extra too...

Why not go into your local MB dealership and sit down with them and cost out the flow for the next 3 years - including all the above and then see if they are all covered in the Total car package -- if they are then in may make a lot of sense.

Not sure about your car - but I anticipate a set or rears lasting around 15 - 18k and fronts 20-25k

inc all wear & tear and at 349 for a and 449 for b tyres at approx 850 seems like a good deal?

Are you sure of the price - the MB website says it's £2520 for total care + tyres for 3yrs/60K on a C Class.

Your tyres are very expensive so you may do OK - typically a set would be more like £500-£600. If it's anything like other mainteneance packages I've had on company cars, and on daughter's VW, they won't let you change the tyres untill 2mm and they'll try and put something more budget orientated than the original tyres. Check there isn't a minimum mileage - some leasing companies charge if tyres last less than 30K miles. A hard driven Merc could eat rear tyres.

Even at £1400 for tyres you've still got £1100 for the other servicing. The car will only need 2 A services and a B service plus brake fluid. Most dealers will do A services for £199 and B for £299. Say £60 for brake fluid.

One thing that will astonish you if MB are paying is how little your brakes will wear. Chances are you won't need any work - maybe a set of front pads at £130 ish.

However if you're paying the bill it'll mysteriously "need" pads and disks all round everytime it goes in. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Im looking at the 5 year package at 82.00 pm 60000miles
tyre sizes are 19*255*40 and 19*275*40 and decent tyres arn't cheap any where at that size. on my e imanaged to get two sets of disc out of mb over the same period - so

While I am waiting (not very patiently!) for my E350, I have been wondering about the MB Service Plans.

Are they actually good value for money?

Looking at the Total Care + Tyres for 3 years over 36k mikes, I would be looking at £67.50 a month, or more importantly £2430 over the 3 year period.

Tyres are the main thing I thought would be costly if I don't have a plan of some sort. On the E350 Sport I have ordered, the fronts are 245/40/18 and the rears are 265/35/18. I usually go through a set of drive tyres every 12-15k miles, so would probably get through 2 sets during the 3 years, especially if they change at 3mm as I read above.

As the Total + Tyres includes wear and tear items, I would expect to get through a set of brake pads at least once and maybe a set of discs.

Does anyone know what the average costs of the services I would have to do over the 3 years would be (I'm guessing 1 service per year)?

Any comments which will help me make a decision would be much appreciated.

The car should only need an A service in years 1 & 3 and a B service and brake fluid change in year 2.
If you were a cash paying customer, then the max price for basic servicing should be around £250 for the A service and £450 for the B plus maybe £60 for the brake fluid. So aprox £1000. If you're outside London you should be able to haggle prices a fair bit lower. Give your dealer service department a call and ask them.

However tyre life is clearly critical to your calculations. It's hard for anyone else to judge but 12-15K is pretty short life. If you get into the high teens then the car is only going to need one set. If you really do only get 12K, then you'll be on the cusp of needing 3 sets.

I would be astonished if they'll change at 3mm - having had company cars, and VW on VAG maint, judging they tyre change points was a huge pain. All would only change at 2mm and I took the VW to a fast fit place and, despite the tyres being flush to the tradwear indicators, they still measured them at 3mm. In 36K miles that car only need 2 tyres.

I would be pretty surprised if you get through brake pads in that time - you'll be surprised how long they can last when they're on a service plan! There's none of this "we've got the wheels off and it could do with pads and disks all round" that you get if it's your money.

However if you really are the kind of driver that can get through tyres in 12K miles then maybe you'd get through a set of front pads. £150?

I think MB's Care and Total Care prices are insane - the basic Care package is dearer than paying cash at the dealer.
BMW just revised their prices and their equivalent to Care for a 5 Series is £350 for 5yrs/60K vs MB's £2,850!!! :eek:

The MB package in tyres *might* not be too bad value *if* you're a tyre eater. Check the contract to make sure there's no limit - one lease company we used at worked surcharged us if tyres lasted less than 30K miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom