Touch up colour match

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bluemachine2.3

Car
SLK
Got a genuine MB touch up set for a 2002 metalic blue (colour code 372?). The match is poor. Any suggestions on where to get a touch up pen that will be a good match?

Touch up paint

It may be worth a trip to your local auto paint supplier with the car, they will make you up a pot of colour matched paint to your actual cars colour, plus side they can lighten/darken the mix to match the panel needing repair.

bumpers and panels are often painted in different countries and shipped in which can result in a slight difference in the paint colour and a nightmare when trying to use off the shelf pre mixed paint.

I've always gone down this route as the paint is thicker.

Got to say , i've never had a problem with MB touch ups , always bang on the colour.

Are you doing the obvious , shaking it well to mix ? and then putting the lacquer touch up on as well ?

I wonder if the car has had paint and isn't quite the correct shade ?

Blue is not usually one of the colours that fades .

Got a genuine MB touch up set for a 2002 metalic blue (colour code 372?). The match is poor. Any suggestions on where to get a touch up pen that will be a good match?
I just bought the 762 colour touch up paint via Amazon from Extreme Auto Accessories. The match is perfect for a slightly unusual colour, after checking the VIN number with Mercedes to get the right colour- Tellurium silver (bluey/silver coour).

As post #4 go to your local paint supplier or motor factor. They have comprehensive colour swatches to get an exact match to your paint taking into account any batch differences from the factory production line[ they do exist]---any ageing of the finish -- previous repair etc. Its based on a visual comparison with the actual car NOT what it is " theoretically on paper" and you should get a good match. Remember also when dealing with light metallics such as Tellurium Silver it's a 2 part finish--- one the base colour and the second the clear lacquer layer. Too thick a lacquer layer will darken any base coat slightly so apply accordingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom