Towing Capabilities W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The power output of the E220 CDI engine is around 204 BHP and around 455NM with the Power Box fitted.
Rolling road or manufacturers claim?

Manufactures claim and some example power curves, believe me you can feel it as well:bannana:

I have been advised by Equi-Trek that this is not the case. Technically you must not tow anything that has a higher MGW than the towing vehicle is rated for. However, due to the total confusion most people ignore or do not know that this is the case. It is only if you get pulled by VOSA that they might bring this up. Not having been pulled by VOSA myself I can not comment on what action they might take, but if the trailer was replated to match the towing vehicle, then the technicality would be removed. Equi-Trek have told me that they often do this for customers who do not need the full payload that the trailer is rated for.

Having a correctly matched towed combination removes one more thing for the VOSA examiner to pick up on.

I have been in contact with VOSA on many occasions in the past, they are not some terrifying official body that are out to persecute you at every opportunity. I have all ways found them to be very friendly and help full, they are our Public Servants and there to help the pubic and keep us safe on the road.

From all that's going with you and Equi-Trek I would give VOSA a bell to clarify your position on this then you would know the correct answer. If you are in the North they can be contacted on 0161 947 1000 or for some technical issues I use 01792 454214

PS I do not work for them but I am involved in the motor industry;)

^ Fair comment. If you're determined to go for a 211 why not a 320? On paper the torque of a chipped 220 might look good but the spread of said torque might be pretty restrictive for towing. The other point to look for is a factory fitted towbar (not dealer). Mine has additional cooling capacity and the rear sam is configured to know when a trailer is coupled. Facelift cars have an anti-snake feature in the electronics. (I'm led to believe).

I get 22 to 24mpg towing at constant 60 to 65mph depending on headwinds. Pretty good for an outfit nearing 4tons.

To replate a trailer downwards to suit the car is one thing but you cannot replate a car upwards to suit a too heavy trailer. What is becoming much more prevalent recently is this scenario...
Toddling down the M5 with wifie, kids and fully laden caravan and pull into services for pee. There stands Vosa with full police back-up and portable weighbridge. Surprise, surprise. :eek:
Be assured, you had better not be exceeding the VOSA rules on loading/towing whether it be caravan, horsebox, boat or whatever or they will not let you continue until things are put right.
The earlier advice by BTB that 2100kg is the theoretical trailer weight for a hillstart and not the permitted trailer weight is (imho) correct.

Stick with the 4x4.

Please see last quote re VOSA

A new vehicle /model must be subjected to numerous test / standards and then these are agreed that all production will conform to this. (Homologation)

From the manufactures design weights hill starts etc, this is the standard for which the Gross Vehicle weight and Gross Train Weight towing capacity is arrived at.

In the case of the E 220 Estate Auto + a trailer, this means the MGTW available to you is 4360KG. (Max Gross Vehicle Weight 2360KG + Braked Trailer 2100KG)

VOSA and its mobile weigh bridge as when you drive on, Combined weight of 4100KG, no problem as you are 360KG under the Maximum Designed Train weight of the vehicle.
If they wanted to be pedantic and readily had the full details for the caravan you are pulling, then they weight the car (2260KG), no problem as long as it is not over the GVW of 2360KG (including occupants) then drive on a bit further to weigh just the caravan (1840KG) and as long as that is under the 1900KG MTPLM of the caravan, no problems.

So in this case with that specific caravan you had a Maximum Train weight available to you of 4,260KG, not the max of 4460KG

^ Fair comment. If you're determined to go for a 211 why not a 320? On paper the torque of a chipped 220 might look good but the spread of said torque might be pretty restrictive for towing. The other point to look for is a factory fitted towbar (not dealer). Mine has additional cooling capacity and the rear sam is configured to know when a trailer is coupled. Facelift cars have an anti-snake feature in the electronics. (I'm led to believe).

I get 22 to 24mpg towing at constant 60 to 65mph depending on headwinds. Pretty good for an outfit nearing 4tons.

Thanks for the information on the MPG,

I all ready bought the 211, 220 facelift Estate. Mainly because all the review said it was the best all round model and will probably be the easiest resale when the time come.
I was looking for one for months with all the toys, and yes I did want one with a ball already fitted but this one came up and ticked most of the boxes at the right price.
As for the economy this is brill, I am really pleased with it and the towing would only be a small percentage of miles covered but I was trying to get some feed back to now regarding towing and performance etc to see if its worth going to the expense of putting a ball on it now, then I would have the choice of which tug to use, I am sure I would prefer the Merc on a France or Spain run.:D

Passed test in 1970, Towed commercial plant trailers (contractors plant & car transporters) since then, so as far as experience goes I have many 100,000s of miles under the belt towing, I have also dragged caravans all around the UK and all over civilized Europe since 1980, ;) so I would consider myself reasonable experienced and load up the combination to take advantage load space / specs available so as to keep the combination as stable as possible, even with the 4x4 I put very little in the caravan as we tend to stop en-route to brew up or sleep if a long journey.
Fair enough, sounds like you know what you're doing then (not always easy to tell on a forum ;) :D)!

I would still recommend a vehicle with higher kerbweight, but as you've got the E already you might as well give it a go (cautiously). Good luck!

I tow with the Vito btw, which is a fantastic tow vehicle with the 3.0 V6 CDI and auto gearbox. High kerbweight, short rear overhang, and high trailer noseweight limit all help too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom