towing electrics

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Sheffield Col, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Sheffield Col

Sheffield Col Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes 2014, C Class 220 Diesel Automatic Blutec W205
    Hi I have a bypass relay to wire up to my trailor, do I just break in and connect to the coresponding wires or is there a plug of some sort to connect to ? cheers..

2. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    I have wired bypass relays just by breaking into the car's wiring with Scotchlocks, but I made sure I bought a relay that specifically quoted as being compatible with my car, and that there were comprehensive instructions.

Having said that, the newest/latest car I have used one on was a 2006 Saab. I have read reports of error messages being generated because of extra loading on indicators and/or light circuits, but I haven't had this myself.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Sheffield Col

Car:
    I've just realised i need to take a live from the fusebox as well, whats the best way of doing this? car is 09 plate c class c220 w204

4. baxlin

baxlin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Volvo C70 and JZR 3 wheeler
    I have used piggy back fuses - via eBay - power taken from a suitably live fuse, the rating doesn't matter, as the piggy back reinstates it.

5. Alf Barnet

Alf Barnet Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212
    Sheffield Col, you probally have at least 10k invested in the car with multiplex wiring and electronic everything - stump up for the dedicated plug in kit, not pigging backing or scotch locking the existing wiring, this isn't dear, normally £150 at most. Have a look at these, fitted a Westfalia to the wife's 4x4 no problems.

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/fileadmin/pdf/e_anlagen/313/e313361391101-003.pdf

https://www.westfalia-automotive.com/fileadmin/pdf/313-mercedes/a313211691101-313276-313252.pdf

6. OP
    OP
    Sheffield Col

Car:
    Yea I know what you are saying, but its just a boat trailor with single electrics I will be using it about 3 times a year at most. If it was a caravan and was being used every other w/end then I would not hesitate to get dedicated electrics. But being a yorkshireman my religion forbids it. :D

7. richard

richard Authorised Forum Sponsor Authorised Forum Sponsor

Car:
    MY04 SL55, MY17 GLC250d AMG Sport
    Its still equally likely to catch fire.

Or you'll blow up the rear SAM and wish you had used the correct kit - There's a lot of electronics that controls the rear lights that hate load in the wrong places.

But, if you insist, make sure there is a fuse on any permanent feed you take which is the correct size to protect the wire you are adding and is close to the feed you are taking.

Cheers

Richard

1 person likes this.