Turbo Technics E320 graph

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The really spooky thing is that, whatever the engine, whatever the power and whatever the torque, the curves always cross over at 5252 rpm

Yep - I covered why in the rolling road thread a few years ago

Its also a good check to see if the graph has been "ammended" in any way :D

Where did the 5252 figure come from ?

As discussed what we actually measure is torque, expressed in ft/lb, and then we calculate actual horsepower by converting the twisting force of torque into the work units of horsepower.

Visualize a one pound weight, one foot from a fulcrum on an invisible weightless bar. If we rotate that weight for one full revolution against a one pound resistance, we have moved it a total of 6.2832 feet (pi times a two foot circle), and, we have done 6.2832 foot pounds of work.

OK. Remember Watt? He said that 33,000 foot pounds of work per minute was equivalent to one horsepower. If we divide the 6.2832 foot pounds of work we've done per revolution of the weight into 33,000 foot pounds, we come up with the fact that we have to rotate that weight at the rate of 5,252 revolutions per minute in order to do 33,000 foot pounds per minute of work, and thus do work at the equivalent rate of one horsepower.
Therefore, the following formula applies for calculating horsepower from a torque measurement:

Horsepower = ( Torque * RPM ) / 5252

Thats where the 5252 comes from

It will be..............:) and by some distance.

A Drag Race GTG then? :devil:

The TT should out power a 500E, so Im sure it is faster but it would be interesting to see by how much.

A Drag Race GTG then? :devil:

The TT should out power a 500E, so Im sure it is faster but it would be interesting to see by how much.

Sounds interesting.............perhaps wait until Mark and Talbir have finished their respective "weapons of choice" ?

Having had a 500E and a 300TT.....I can assure you that the TT is way faster than a 500 and will be even more so in 320TT guise.

Mid range acceleration is where the TT really excelled......just vacuumed up the horizon when it was on full boost!!!!!

I also found the TT to be more charasmatic, what with its wastegate whistles and so on......I always remember young lads expecting to see a Skyline coming when they heard the wastgates whistling behind them, but then seeing a standard looking W124 coming up the road instead of a skyline always provoked odd looks....lol

Actually I always thought a back to back between a Skyline and a 300/320TT would have been an interesting test...

Last edited:
I ran against a supposedly 360hp W124 TT Saloon, it was pretty much level until silly speeds and then I was pulling away, but the difference was tiny at best.

It would be very easy to make a TT far outperform a 500E though with minimal effort.

Dave!

Sounds interesting.............perhaps wait until Mark and Talbir have finished their respective "weapons of choice" ?

Seeing Adrians has really spurred me on to finish the wiring issues on the 190 and get the turbos installed :) I am now convinced I need to replace the ECU with a stock item rather than going for all out standalone management.
I was very impressed with the simplicity of the SplitSecond software and hardware and having seen it it does seem a simple way to control fuelling and I have a fiendishly simple plan for spark control too now.

It would be very easy to make a TT far outperform a 500E though with minimal effort.

Which was exactly my intention with the 3.2 TT in a lightweight 190E body :devil:

Don't forget that Janner has no techinical expertise and has done something that many of us have failed at. :bannana: :bannana: :bannana:

A big congratulations and this car is a wolf in sheep's clothing

Regards
John the envious

It's 2 cylinders short of a proper engine though :p

Dave!

I would tactfully suggest it will be quicker, handle better and stop better as well as being a lot more economical than a 500E though ;)

It will also definately be lacking in creature comforts and modern technolgy when compared to its more upmarket sibling but that was never my concern :devil:
The plan involves a properly sorted suspension and braking setup, C36 gearbox and a pair of modified hiflow turbos with full real time programmable fuel and spark management.

Its just a poor mans AMG/500E with a lightweight twist!

Don't forget that Janner has no techinical expertise and has done something that many of us have failed at.

I have to agree - Adrian did this off his own back with no prior experience and has achieved a very good result for what is a difficult project under ideal circumstances, let alone working in a garage that was robbed during the project!

Its a really good result that it is possible to improve on over the course of time.

"It's 2 cylinders short of a proper engine though"

Only recently while reading a book of W126 road tests (an eBay find) did I see someone extolling the virtues of sixes and twelves over eights. I've seen that elsewhere too. Personal taste, I guess, but those opinions came from well informed sources.

Of course, the other things about the TT are RHD and, apart from the turbo kit, associated exhaust and minor engine modifications, all the rest is standard W124 stuff at standard W124 part prices (treating Sportline suspension as standard for these purposes).

I have driven, rotary/6/8/12 cylinder cars and would agree that they are all wonderful, and I would have a 12 cylinder if I could afford it.

However, none of them puts that silly grin on my face like the sound of a V8, it's so addictive :D

"It's 2 cylinders short of a proper engine though"

Only recently while reading a book of W126 road tests (an eBay find) did I see someone extolling the virtues of sixes and twelves over eights. I've seen that elsewhere too. Personal taste, I guess, but those opinions came from well informed sources.

I would tactfully suggest it will be quicker, handle better and stop better as well as being a lot more economical than a 500E though ;)

It will also definately be lacking in creature comforts and modern technolgy when compared to its more upmarket sibling but that was never my concern :devil:
The plan involves a properly sorted suspension and braking setup, C36 gearbox and a pair of modified hiflow turbos with full real time programmable fuel and spark management.

Its just a poor mans AMG/500E with a lightweight twist!

I have to agree - Adrian did this off his own back with no prior experience and has achieved a very good result for what is a difficult project under ideal circumstances, let alone working in a garage that was robbed during the project!

Its a really good result that it is possible to improve on over the course of time.

I don't disagree on any of those points.

But, you can't play Mr Toad with less than 8 cylinders, it just wont do.

At the end of the day, going fast is fun so the more ways of that happening the better :D

Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom