Tyre size options for W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spera

Car
2002 E CLASS 270CDI AUTO AVANTGARDE
Hi everyone, I have an E class cdi 270 Avantgarde auto on a 52 plate it is the W211 model.The tyre sizes i have are
265/ 35 / ZR 18 ON THE REAR
245/ 40 / ZR 18 ON THE FRONT.
Is it possible to replace these wheels with standard sizes. I use the car for airport transfers but would like to use a more economical tyre price etc.
Does anyone know what sizes I could use on my car thanks as nobody at the tyre fitters seemed to know. Thanks Sil

If you have the car handbook, all wheel/tyre size options for your model are listed somewhere towards the back. Another option is here - Alloy Wheels Direct Ltd | Fitting Chart Index

I know you can certainly fit 17" wheels, as that's what I use in winter, but you do need to watch out for fouling on the brake calipers and use the right offset.

16" will be the smallest I would presume., which is what I have on my S211.

I've been looking to buy a full set of wheels exactly like yours as it happensif you wanted to do some sort of a deal?

Hello

My S211 had 16" as standard, will me much cheaper and more comfy for the airport run.

I have 18" like you now though :)

I bought a set of Alutec B 16" wheels from tyremen.com as part of a winter tyre package (tyres are 225/55/16) and these fit without problems even with sport brake calipers (original wheels were 18" with the tyre sizes in the original post). There is a noticiable improvement in comfort so I'll probably keep the 16" wheels on all year round.

Great, I was wondering looking at my calipers if I could go down a wheel size. I think I will look further into this for the prospect of a winter set up.

With 16" wheels there is only 5-10mm clearance between the inner wheel and the caliper which looks worrying but in practice isn't a problem.

I've been looking to buy a full set of wheels exactly like yours as it happensif you wanted to do some sort of a deal?

I have been looking into it, will let you know if i fancy a swap etc Was thinking of just having a winter set etc.

Mine with the original 16" factory options (currently in the garage)
DSCF0506.jpg

Then will the current 18" Factory options
photo_3.jpg

I took off 18" wheels/tyres on my 2003 W211 when I bought it and fitted 17's. The change was a dramatic improvement in ride, 16's would be even better and cheaper for tyres. Euromerc.co.uk (a forum member) has several sets of wheels that my suit. Sizes as in the handbook.

^ see that's odd.

Mines an ********** and changing from 16" with I think a 50 profile to 18" with 35 profile to me didn't make much difference at all (see pic above)

Its got a soft ride anyway? maybe the estates are different with the rear air? I don't know or is yours a sport?

I'm much happier with the looks on 18" and think they suit the size of the car better. the 16" are tiny but would do fine for winter with snow tyres and probably much cheaper to replace if you do big miles.

Last edited:
I've got a sport saloon with airmatic and the change from 18" down to 16" was noticable. I've got several speed cushions on my road as well which I couldn't straddle with the 18's but I can easily with the 16's so that was an expected bonus lol.

Is it possible your Avantgarde had the comfort suspension option?

A210AMG great pics , looks good in 16'' but better in 18'' , I will need to purchase the 16'' in the design you had as silly to keep just for the looks when I'm doing moon miles, had considered swapping for an estate while my mileage is around the 110000 mark. But I know my car inside out now so better the engine you know. Thanks for posting the pics up, great help to also visualise them.Ive read alot on the forum regards you cant change the 18'' to 16'' and they need to be staggered etc. Not sure if id swap mine or buy a set separate.
Any way thanks for all the comments/feedback guys , i'll post pics when changed them.

I'm still deciding wether to swap or buy a separate set for winter months etc. given me food for thought.

I took off 18" wheels/tyres on my 2003 W211 when I bought it and fitted 17's. The change was a dramatic improvement in ride, 16's would be even better and cheaper for tyres. Euromerc.co.uk (a forum member) has several sets of wheels that my suit. Sizes as in the handbook.

Thanks for that got in touch and ordered a set yesterday.

Received my wheels , fast and efficient turnaround from Nick at euromerc thanks Nick

Post some pics :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom