Ultra low mileage CLK55........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's probably worth something close to that for someone but not for me. If I had surplus money hanging around then maybe high teens for me. In saying that my 3dr Cosworth is probably worth something silly where people would question the value too.

This vehicle has attracted a lot of attention and I would therefore suggest you leave a £250 fully refundable deposit to secure the sale of the vehicle.

The best price on this vehicle would be £25,000.

Going back to the original topic, it’s hard to justify that this CLK55 AMG with just 5k miles is not worth somewhere close to that asking price.

My logic being:

1) It’s not disproportionately expensive relative to other sports/performance cars of that era
2) They’re not exactly common
3) That mileage and condition is pretty much unrepeatable
4) It’s a lot cheaper than it was when it was new
5) Whether you bought it to keep as is, or to drive and use, I think you would get good value for money
6) Older Mercedes coupés and AMGs generally appreciate over time

My questions for the wise on here:

What would you buy instead for £25/26k?

a) To use/enjoy
b) As an investment

There could be some overlap, as has been mentioned you could probably pile 20/30k miles onto this and it would likely be pretty reliable, not too expensive to maintain, still be low mileage and retain a good chunk of its value :)

Moonstone Blue and Diamond White. Very rare.
My father in law had both a new Moonstone RS500 and a new modified metallic black Sapphire Cosworth when I first met my wife. Mind blowing performance to an 11 year old who had only really been in a Morris 1800!

The Sapphire had been modified by the main dealer - Brooklyn if memory serves - and that felt brutal. Wonderful cars. Never actually driven one myself though.

I'm a little dubious regarding reliability - it's an 18 year old car that has spent the majority of its life sat doing nothing. That's never good for things like rubber seals and hoses - I suspect if you tried to use it you'd spend a lot of time tracking down leaks etc.

The same could be said about #6 - I'm not sure how this mass-produced era of AMG will compare in terms of market behaviour against the likes of CE/SEC and the more bespoke AMGs that preceeded them, but we'll find out soon enough.

Really it comes down to #2 & #3. If you want a barely used CLK55, where else are you going to find one? As long as the dealer is prepared to hold out, It's worth whatever that tiny handful of interested parties are willing to pay.

I'm a little dubious regarding reliability - it's an 18 year old car that has spent the majority of its life sat doing nothing. That's never good for things like rubber seals and hoses - I suspect if you tried to use it you'd spend a lot of time tracking down leaks
I was thinking much the same.
I’m not sure you just jump in it and drive it like a new car.

I was thinking much the same.
I’m not sure you just jump in it and drive it like a new car.

I have 7 cars and just about to buy another. None are particularly high value individually but they are so different it's a pleasure being able to drive them all.

Your point about regular use is well made - we try and use our cars on a regular basis i.e. at least once a fortnight, as things like a/c seals dry out with lack of use. They all now have battery conditioners, so immediately available and usable, when needed.

I neglected my '54 Sunbeam Talbot 90 over the winter due to her needing a new carburettor and when I started her up after 5 months or so, the front brake seals had gone, so another €300 plus the hassle. They were only replaced in 2017.

Regular but limited use means annual mileage on each is quite small ... between 500 and 2.500 miles, so buying a car like the CLK as a potential investment or one which wouldn't lose much, if any money while still enabling you to enjoy it, seems a good idea. There's also the servicing every 18 months or so, to stay on top of any potential issues.

As a single car or even as a second and weekend toy, the mileage will probably be an issue for maintaining or increasing it's value .... but that's why we petrolheads are on here ..... to buy and enjoy the cars we love, even though we disagree on individual marques & models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom