• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Unusual little problem..

bpsorrel

MB Enthusiast
Car
'21 C300 Coupe, '20 SLC Final Edition, Peugeot 208 (hers!) and a new Ford Kuga in Russia
H Again!

Just got a little problem I'd like to ask if anyone has any ideas about.

I have a 2006 S211 that has developed a rusty area on the tiny bit of metal that sits behind the rear wiper on the rear window. It's crescent shaped and painted black and seems to wrap around the lower edge of the window and slot into the hole where the wiper comes out.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know if this metal plate comes off or can be changed/repaired? It's not important, but looks a bit manky when the rest of the car looks great.

Thanks in advance!!

Barry

It's called a 'cover' by Merc. According to the EPC part number A2117420130 and costs just over £6. Probably take the wiper out and it will unclip. I'd be interested if you do replace it and how cos mine's going rusty as well.

Thanks!! I'll go to my local dealer tomorrow and see if I can get the part! I'll keep you posted if it comes off ok and the new one goes on! :)

Do you know if it's a simple replacement? It looks as if it wraps under the window, in which case maybe hard to get off... ??

If your dealer has it in stock you can look before you buy. If it then looks like it's a window out job just say 'no thanks'. Different story if it needs ordered but £6 -£7 isn't the end of the world. I'm going into Merc today if you want to wait till tonight I'll see if they have one.

I never thought I'd see the day when Mercs barely three years old were suffering from rust......

Well, thankfully, there isn't rust anywhere else! Interestingly, over the last couple of weeks I've been looking out for other W211 estates and checking this metal item and found only 2 others out of about 20 that also had rust. Can't be rust treated I guess (I wonder why it's there at all because all other cars, including MBs have the wiper just coming out of the window with a small rubber seal..).
Anyway, I've heard that the various steel panels on post '04 W211s are galvanised so I'm hopeful for the future!!!

Well I thought I'd go to my dealer today, but if you're going, maybe I'll wait and see what you get told about fitting it... Ta!!

I'll not get any info on fitting. Those days are long gone:( but if they've got one in stock a quick look will maybe tell if it's a simple job or not. Mine has started to show signs of tiny blisters along the seam that runs from the chrome handle outwards. It doesn't look like a seam but somewhere in manufacture it has had a top and bottom half welded together.

Edit............Just had a close look at mine and it fell off in my hand after gentle picking. It would appear to be held by two dobs of mastic to the glass. Bear in mind my car is a 2003 so if yours is different :(:o

Edit again.....back from Merc. They (predictably) didn't have one but I'm told that this is a known problem and is a warranty item up to age 3years. Even if yours is slightly over it may be worth asking.

Last edited:
I'll not get any info on fitting. Those days are long gone:( but if they've got one in stock a quick look will maybe tell if it's a simple job or not. Mine has started to show signs of tiny blisters along the seam that runs from the chrome handle outwards. It doesn't look like a seam but somewhere in manufacture it has had a top and bottom half welded together.

Edit............Just had a close look at mine and it fell off in my hand after gentle picking. It would appear to be held by two dobs of mastic to the glass. Bear in mind my car is a 2003 so if yours is different :(:o

Edit again.....back from Merc. They (predictably) didn't have one but I'm told that this is a known problem and is a warranty item up to age 3years. Even if yours is slightly over it may be worth asking.

Thanks for that info Druk! I might still go up later today and see. But, if it comes off and fits back that easily, for 6 quid or so, I might save the weeks of warranty procedure and just do it myself.. I'll keep you posted! :)

Just took mine off cos it was now rattling. Hardest bit was getting the wiper arm to break from the shaft. The plate covers a semicircle of rubber which seems to be bonded into the lower screen. TBH it doesn't look all that bad with it gone. Might just leave it that way.

Just got back from my local dealer who I have to say were VERY helpful! They didn't have the part in stock, but showed me exactly how to remove it! I agree, it might look just as good without it, so I'll get it off tomorrow and have a think!

By the way, anyone in or around the Milton Keynes area that needs parts and advice, MB Milton Keynes are good!

OK, friday 13th and I'm going to try and get this little piece of metal off! Wish me luck guys! :)

Well, I eventually got it off. Removing the wiper was hard, without the "puller" as recommended in the workshop guide sheet (dealer gave this to me to help), but it did come off in the end. The metal plate was held on very securely with some very sticky substance but again, with the help of a blade, it came off. Underneath is what appears to be a plastic insert in the glass, so I probably won't leave it like that as the plastic part seems to be broken - maybe I managed that with the knife, but anyway, the new metal part comes tomorrow, so hopefully it'll go on and stick to the plastic area ok and that'll be job done!

"By the way, anyone in or around the Milton Keynes area that needs parts and advice, MB Milton Keynes are good! "

Did you deal with Arron Waller in the parts dept? He's excellent. I got to know him in Harpenden and followed him to Stevenage when Harpenden shut down, and then to Milton Keynes.

Sad to read that MB's quality control is still not what it should be, albeit for a minor body part.

"By the way, anyone in or around the Milton Keynes area that needs parts and advice, MB Milton Keynes are good! "

Did you deal with Arron Waller in the parts dept? He's excellent. I got to know him in Harpenden and followed him to Stevenage when Harpenden shut down, and then to Milton Keynes.

Sad to read that MB's quality control is still not what it should be, albeit for a minor body part.
Yes, Arron was the guy! Amazingly helpful! I agree, the quality definately isn't there these days, although the lastest models are supposed to be better... The part I'm changing is a flimsy painted piece of tin that looks like it came off an 80s Cortina! Very poor standard indeed. In fact I can't see why they did it this way as I think every other MB car with a rear wiper simply has the wiper stem coming through a hole in the glass...

I part ex'd a Volvo V70 for this car and sometimes I'm not certain I made the right choice! But then again, there's a certain undefinable pleasure from driving the E320 that makes it almost worthwhile! :) I did however move away from CLKs when I traded my very poor quality '03 CLK for a Saab convertible, so there's a story there I guess!

Last edited:
For anyone interested, or with the same problem (!) Here's a follow up!

Collected my little metal trim piece or "coverage" - incidentally, made in the USA - and removed the wiper (I left it loose enough not to have to struggle again!), applied several dobs of blutak (reason being, if it rusts again, it'll be MUCH easier to remove in the future) and fitted it nice and snuggly against the window. Refitted the wiper and voila! Good as new!
Hopefully this trim will last uncorroded longer than the original one! Thanks to everyone who helped!

Just got back from my local dealer who I have to say were VERY helpful! They didn't have the part in stock, but showed me exactly how to remove it! I agree, it might look just as good without it, so I'll get it off tomorrow and have a think!

Sorry for the resurrecting this thread

Do you remember how it came off by any chance ? :p

Part is now £18 inc vat

Wow! That is a thread resurrect!

I remember taking the wiper off, then gently prising the old tin "cover" away from the screen. I think I used a small flat screwdriver, but it was a while back!! :) The new one I simply blu tacked on and replaced the wiper. It stayed on firmly for the rest of the time I had the car.

Still seems an odd way to deal with the rear wiper, but the new one at least looked ok, and wow, from £6 to £18 in around 7 years! Wish my house had gone up 300% in that time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom