V-MAX or other 97 RON

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whestworld

Car
C32 Alabaster White 960
has any body noticed any differences between high performance fuels and standard 97 RON?

J

Yes, but then I'm running a JDM Integra, so it feels frankly shocking running on 95.

Only V-power or Tesco's finest loopy juice for me :D

Lots.

Use V-Power now, non of that ordinary stuff. BP Ultimate at a push.

I use only V-Power. Does it make a difference - I don't push the performance of the car to make it really that noticeable, but use it nonetheless.

I think it's fair to say that the greater the power output of an engine - particularly those with forced induction - then the greater the potential gain associated with a high octane fuel.

Tesco and Shell (V-Power) both do 99-RON. BP do a 102-RON but it's restricted to only a few stations, and is so expensive you would have to be feeling flush to fill the tank!!

I use nothing but Sainsburys Super unleaded. Haven't put 95RON in a car for years.... unless it was a hire car !

Yes the C43 has Shell V-Power and the SClass has 95 as it's only a 320.

i use Tesco`s 99 Ron stuff, i used to use Optimax but found the tscos 99 ron more responsive..... Isnt V-power still a 97 Ron based unleaded? as the sticker at the shell garage on the pump still said 97 Ron.

I switched to Tesco super unleaded last year when the price dropped and noticed the difference straight away, even on an old shed like mine. even with a 5p or so premium per litre over 95 RON stuff i find it as cheap if not cheaper to run on super.

I didn't even know Tesco had good fuel. I always thought Tesco was 95R. Anywho I use V-Max which I find is excellent. Esso Premium 97R gives me better consumption (about 10-15 miles extra) but is not as responsive as V-Max. I'll try Tesco on my next fill.

I noticed a bigger difference in fuels when I had the C43. In the C32 the differences I find are not so well defined. The C43 felt like a 1.6 Ghia if using 95 RON. The C32 still feels good on 95 RON but I would never use it again!

whestworld said:
I didn't even know Tesco had good fuel.
I put Tescos Super Unleaded in my wife's MX-5 last time, it was definitely more responsive and seemed smoother. I'll use it again but I have to go significantly out of my way to get to Tescos.
Does 97/99RON actually give you better economy as well, and is it by an amount where it negates the price increase?

jarobinson25 said:
Does 97/99RON actually give you better economy as well, and is it by an amount where it negates the price increase?
I've read posts from people that suggest that following their own tests it does appear to offer improved economy. I'm not convinced I get better mpg personally though!!

Tesco 99 makes a difference to my CLK55 .. it runs smoother, more mpg and more responsive

What about diesel?

What about diesel? Is there a difference there too in terms of a) economy and b) performance?

Steve

99ron Tesco juice
Average 8% increase in MPG and more mid range pull on the motorway (you do notice this a lot when you only have 600cc)

Peugeot runs on a diet of Optimax plus Millers Octane booster**. Depending on the amount of octane booster added the rating should be around 99 / 100 RON....so long as the fuel and the Octane booster is new. Fuel looses it's RON rating quite quickly.

Spits flames wonderfully :)

Mapped to only run on a mininum of 97, and it really has special dietery requirements as it **really** doesn't like anything less. Pinks like hell on 95 :eek:

**Millers CVL is FIA and RAC MSA approved as a fuel additive

Last edited:
I use Vpower in 2 of my cars...

The TC car runs superbly on VPower... as there is no pinging..

The other car just has a high comp ratio and indeed runs better on VPower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom