• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Vans - I know nothing! Advise from those who do?

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I have a friend who had been working for a start up 2 man delivery company as a driver/general grunt for a couple of weeks. His boss, a single chap with no family in the business or the area, had the misfortune to be killed in an accident just a few days ago. The co. they did the vast majority of their work for has asked my mate if he'll step in, take over & continue doing their deliveries for them.

He wants to give this new venture a go & I'm sure he'll make a success of it as he is a dillegent, hard working, sober & sensible 29 year old (with a clean HGV license).

His problem is he doesn't have a van. He says the ideal vehicle is a box van, a Luton(?) size for the delivery of quite bulky boxed goods. Do MB offer such a beast?

He is understandably reluctant to commit, at this stage, to a long rental/leasing/purchase scheme UNTIL he's sure the business is viable & potentially profitable enough to justify such a move.

The suggested plan is for him to either rent such a van on a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly basis or find a reasonable, road worthy, cheap secondhand van to buy.

Does anybody know where he might go for a good deal on either option?

He has only 1 week to get a van, get organised & say yes or this opportunity will be gone so any help gratefully received.

Last edited:
Hi Neil,
I am a great fan of the Sprinter range and you will be very hard pressed to find a more reliable vehicle.

Having said that, everything has a 'sell by date' and will break down eventually, buying a vehicle that has clocked up in excess of 220,000 miles might be a case in question?

Starting up a business needs a lot of research and sensible budgetting. Buying an older vehicle without any type of warranty is a very big gamble.

If the profits allow, then short term lease, or hire might be worth considering whilst all the costings take shape. If there is not enough money to make a go of the business then you are not left with a van.

The 211\311 Sprinter will usually be more than ample for performance and economy. We have the 213 and it is a brilliant conbination. The 216\316 is rarely seen and is most popular amongst the emergency services.

Sprinters have been going for a number of years now, and the newer facelift models are easily identified by the bonnet curve over the central Mercedes-Benz badge that is fitted onto the grill.

Good luck with the decision,
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom