Various kitchen questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember buying my first house 15 years ago. An ex RAF house, to buy the cooker hob and washing machine was going to cost me about £700. I paid £1,600 for an MFI kitchen with appliances that I fitted myself. The result was just fine (skipping over the ventilation hole that I did not know about and my have covered with a picture...

Times have changed.

The Howdens quote after 60-70% discount is £8k. I had been expecting ~£3k, so I wont be going with them. My carpenter is arranging some other quotes, so we'll see.

It seems that the kitchen market is full of chancers.

At least your experience concurs with ours (a la post #56).

The Howdens quote after 60-70% discount is £8k. I had been expecting ~£3k, so I wont be going with them. My carpenter is arranging some other quotes, so we'll see.

It seems that the kitchen market is full of chancers.

Howdens will do a quote with a discount where they have deliberately inflated the quote price. They will then supply the fitter at the trade price. It is not just sharp practice, it borders on the deceptive.

As I said, I paid a little over £2.5k for a large kitchen including sink and overhead fan for the units.

Howdens will do a quote with a discount where they have deliberately inflated the quote price. They will then supply the fitter at the trade price. It is not just sharp practice, it borders on the deceptive.

As I said, I paid a little over £2.5k for a large kitchen including sink and overhead fan for the units.

Thanks Charles. I'm confident that my carpenter is being honest with me. He's given me the quote with each of the discount % listed. He also told me about the practice you mentioned and says he's not happy with the Howdens quote either. All else he mentioned is that each October Howdens give further discounts, in which my kitchen might be nearer to £3k.

If I'm unable to find a better quote I'll give up and leave the kitchen as is. It's not so bad, just not to our taste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom