Vito w639 engine rattle on acceleration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steventux

Car
Vito 109cdi, Hymer T1 208
My 55 plate 109 CDI has had a rattle since I bought it 6 months ago there was 83k on the clock when I bought it with service history to back that. I've serviced it and had 3000 trouble free miles from it, it doesn't smoke or drink oil, fuel consumption is good and it starts fine and pulls well.
I've also inspected the injectors for leaks and there's no noticeable black gunk building up. It's also had a new flywheel and clutch by a trustworthy mechanic in the past year.
At around 2000rpm (and more so when in gear than in neutral) a metallic and fairly harsh rattle cuts in and continues till I get to 3000rpm which makes for some noisy medium speed journeys.
Over the past 3k miles the symptoms have got slightly worse.
Accelerating hard reduces the rattle, it's barely audible if I put my foot down, also inclines tend to reduce the noise. At first I thought it might be a loose heat shield but when driving in a tunnel or close to a wall you can hear (through all gears) the noise coming from the front of the vehicle. It is also noticeable when in neutral just not nearly as much (seems to come and go between 2000rpm and 2250rpm). Depressing the clutch for a gear change in the rattle-rev-range makes the noise change in sound like something is suddenly spinning faster but that just might be my fertile imagination.
I'm hoping this might be something poly-belt related like a pulley, I've read that the clutch pulley can make quite a racket but it's the preciseness of when the noise occurs that makes me wonder why it only occurs on the 2000rpm mark so consistently.
I'll do the alternator pulley as it's an advised replacement at 100k but has anyone had a similar specific engine / drivetrain noise, any MB mechanics or frequent Vito maintainers had similar and diagnosed successfully?

I'm afraid I am NOT your requested expert mate, so I may well be miles off the mark. There are some very knowledgable folk on here, so hopefully they will post up for you before long.?
Meanwhile:
:confused: It strikes me that 83k seems rather early to need a clutch.??

.... Depressing the clutch for a gear change in the rattle-rev-range makes the noise change in sound like something is suddenly spinning faster.....
It seems that the Vito's have a Dual Mass Flywheel, would a failing DMF not produce that effect.?

Good luck.

The DMF was suspect (juddering and some vibration when picking up speed) and was replaced with the clutch, it made a difference in terms of how it drives, there's no judder on acceleration any more but the noise wasn't the flywheel or clutch springs as mentioned elsewhere.

I'll get a video on Youtube to try and give an idea of the racket it makes.

Also worth mentioning that the rattle is not present on idle (as reported with other DMF problems) or revving up until around 2000rpm, there's no hint of it, it occurs instantly at the given revs.
I've also been over the engine with a mechanics stethoscope when it's idling and no hint of a clack from the bottom end or the cylinder head area, nothing dubious there. It has got me stumped...

Worn engine mounts?

I'll give them a bit of crow bar and see if there's any play, worth a shot thought I'd be surprised if the noise was that tinny from engine mounts. In my experience there's more or a low bass thump or knock to a broken mount. Still worth a look as it's free - thanks.

Here's a video with audio of tickover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NHjHDcsySE
and one revving to ~ 2000rpm and holding it there to demonstrate the rattle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYY4XwJhhc

Very difficult to tell on the video.

A loose clutch to flywheel retaining bolt.?

Remove the aux belt see if that vibration/rattle stops might be a bearing on the belt run.

Remove the aux belt see if that vibration/rattle stops might be a bearing on the belt run.

Thanks, :thumb: It was indeed a lot quieter when revving with the belt off, the dummy pulley where the aircon unit would be has some play and has a bit of a rattle to it, I took this off and it doesn't appear to have an internal bearing... does that sound right? How do I service this?

A very common issue is the freewheeling alternator pulley seizing up.

The part you took off is replaced as a complete unit if i remember correctly.

But !!!

As BlackC55 said the alternator pulley is a common problem.

Take it to an auto-electricians (Battery Starter Shop) in your area and get them to check it out if you cant find a decent MB independent.

Thanks for the info, I've checked the alternator pulley by spinning and then stopping the pulley, the bearing is smooth enough and the pulley freewheels when stopped suddenly. I'll replace it all the same as I now have the part and I've just driven to Pembrokeshire and back and the noise was annoying enough even if it's relatively trivial. ASRA/WIS literature notes the alternator needs to be removed and I can see there's little room for getting the torx bit and the splined tool in place. If I disconnect the negative battery terminal am I right in thinking I won't get any SRS light unless I put the key in the ignition?

I've replaced the dummy A/C pulley, the alternator pulley and the poly belt tensioner, I still have the noise. Has anyone had problems with the crankshaft pulley vibration dampening? I've read the crankshaft pulley can get noisy if the rubber mating between the pulley and balancer perishes, the pulley starts to rotate slightly off balance and can come into contact with the crankcase. I'm really stumped, fairly certain that something noisy in the poly-belt circuit is the cause.

GM had a lot of Crankshaft pulley damper problems on their diesels, usually splitting apart concentrically, remove it and inspect for cracks and splits.

Don't inject silicone sealer into the splits attempting to "re-bond" the pulley, as I have this done seen many times with bad results.

:)

Hi, I have what sounds like the exact same symptoms and was wondering did you ever resolve this? Did it turn out to be the engine mounts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom