• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

W123 rubbery bits - MB come up trumps!

Levismerc

Car
1983 280CE /W124 E220
Hello all

I'm getting round to replacing all four window scraper seals on my W123 coupe.

I decided to ring Forestfine as they seem to be a recommended supplier - was quoted £179 inc vat (a bit less than I was expecting). Thought I'd ring MB Harrogate for a comparison and saved myself another £50!

I'm a very happy bunny.:D

Levi

PS anybody got any tips on how to fit them!?

very ver easy...
put window down, lever up the chroms trim with a plastic wedge and off you go..
to do the inner ones the door cards have to be removed.

Just be careful when installing the new ones that they have a sharp tab that can gouge very deeply through the paintwork and through to the metal. Not a cosmetic problem as it is hidden from view...but if the gouge is too deep it will start to rust over time as it is a perfect water trap area.

Bubbles will start to appear under the chrome trim..happened to me :(

I should have used an underseal on the areas where the tab contacts the paintwork...paint it on nice and thick before you push the seal on-should offer protection.

Good luck.

The coupes are a bit different to the saloon. To change the rear scraper seals, you need to remove the chrome plates on the inside of the door frames, just above the lock catch. I think it's three small screws - easy to lose them. Note how the rubber is fitted behind the garnish, and then lever up the trim, taking care about gouging as others have said. If you do gouge it, maybe a coat of hammerite would be useful.

As an aside, MB Jacksons (in Poole) quoted me £14 each for the scraper seals on my saloon, compared with £17 each from forest fine! It's the rear ones on the coupe that bump the price up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom