W123 V8 560 6 speed manual anyone? Part 5 Final...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zappa

Car
230CE
Part 5

It seemed like a great idea at the time, invest in a ‘cheap’ property on the coast with a relative who wanted an escape from hectic city life occasionally, and we would be able to have coastal breaks away and invest in a future pension that didn’t involve stock markets, time shares or any other snake oil we didn’t understand.

Thousands of people had done it to prop up they’re inadequate/failed pension scheme, I’d already previously renovated properties while living in them, and having been in the construction industry for most of my life, it seemed a no brainer to get involved in a property only 60 miles away from where we lived.

So to save on pouring out all of the woes, going even more off topic etc. I’ll just bullet point being hit by the train, s*** from the fan whatever…

Borrow money to buy project property with relative, lots of hidden structural problems, recommended builder rides out of town with our money and Ten Gallon hat leaving it worse than was before,

I start working 7 days a week for the next two years to keep my business afloat and start sloowwwly rebuilding said dump on my own at weekends, relative pulls out of agreement, I borrow cash to keep from losing more, like any idiot would do.

Area property is in, looks great to day trippers, reality is major drug and social problems, dealers next door both sides, and a badly managed late night tequila bar opens across the road, no sleep, stress etc etc

Eventually I get sick, so drop the work load down to 6 days a week after missus begs me to stop, my electrical business tanks, our home 60 miles away gets sold to continue pouring money into above said dump on the coast, and still not finished in the year of Covid.

Meanwhile back to topic… during 2016 the expert had sorted himself out with his problems and was starting to get through the shelved jobs.

Spent 2016-2018 waiting for the ‘holy grail’ engine to gearbox converter plate, induction mods, serpentine belt conversion, not that I had the time to do anything about it even if I had it.

Occasionally email nudging him to find out how it was going, receiving replies stating that the gearbox converter plate was in stages of being made/machined, at the engineers, problems with time, engineers busy, and random stuff about the other projects being a priority over my small amount of work, and did I not forget that my work was only being done ‘if’ he had the time between other projects, didn't I forget that detail??

Funny that, baring in mind that I had sent him money, parts and gearbox, work discussed and agreed, and I have to date, the grand total of NOTHING to show for it except a bunch of emails.

That was towards the end of 2018, the next two years I was a little preoccupied with the small matter of being train smashed with life choices, to chase these matters but hey, I still had the C123…

That was until of course, we lost the garage to park it in, and a nice gent from Essex came to buy it, and if you still have the car and are reading this, hope it's been a great enjoyment for you, as it was for us.

With no time or money to spare, the car had to go and with it my dream of V8 123 coupe.

So I am at present, the proud owner of a 560 117 V8 W123 engine kit, with nice wheels, new 126 brakes, exhaust, tons of new genuine engine bits and various other bits required, less a gearbox of course, which I can arrange on the new garage floor, sit amongst, and make many impersonations of engine noise I wish…when I have the time…or part company with it to someone who fancies a 123 hot rod…anyone?

As for the expert, I emailed him a few weeks ago, just to jog his fading memory in the vein hope that he will remember our original agreements, and of course to apologize for not being in touch, or dropping by North Devon for a nice tea and chat…

And yes I’ve learned some lessons in the past few years…that trust and honorability is a rare commodity these days

Thanks to all who stuck with my sad tale, sorry it didn’t turn out to be as cool and completed as Jaymaneks project to read about.

All the best, stay safe

Part 5

It seemed like a great idea at the time, invest in a ‘cheap’ property on the coast with a relative who wanted an escape from hectic city life occasionally, and we would be able to have coastal breaks away and invest in a future pension that didn’t involve stock markets, time shares or any other snake oil we didn’t understand.

Thousands of people had done it to prop up they’re inadequate/failed pension scheme, I’d already previously renovated properties while living in them, and having been in the construction industry for most of my life, it seemed a no brainer to get involved in a property only 60 miles away from where we lived.

So to save on pouring out all of the woes, going even more off topic etc. I’ll just bullet point being hit by the train, s*** from the fan whatever…

Borrow money to buy project property with relative, lots of hidden structural problems, recommended builder rides out of town with our money and Ten Gallon hat leaving it worse than was before,

I start working 7 days a week for the next two years to keep my business afloat and start sloowwwly rebuilding said dump on my own at weekends, relative pulls out of agreement, I borrow cash to keep from losing more, like any idiot would do.

Area property is in, looks great to day trippers, reality is major drug and social problems, dealers next door both sides, and a badly managed late night tequila bar opens across the road, no sleep, stress etc etc

Eventually I get sick, so drop the work load down to 6 days a week after missus begs me to stop, my electrical business tanks, our home 60 miles away gets sold to continue pouring money into above said dump on the coast, and still not finished in the year of Covid.

Meanwhile back to topic… during 2016 the expert had sorted himself out with his problems and was starting to get through the shelved jobs.

Spent 2016-2018 waiting for the ‘holy grail’ engine to gearbox converter plate, induction mods, serpentine belt conversion, not that I had the time to do anything about it even if I had it.

Occasionally email nudging him to find out how it was going, receiving replies stating that the gearbox converter plate was in stages of being made/machined, at the engineers, problems with time, engineers busy, and random stuff about the other projects being a priority over my small amount of work, and did I not forget that my work was only being done ‘if’ he had the time between other projects, didn't I forget that detail??

Funny that, baring in mind that I had sent him money, parts and gearbox, work discussed and agreed, and I have to date, the grand total of NOTHING to show for it except a bunch of emails.

That was towards the end of 2018, the next two years I was a little preoccupied with the small matter of being train smashed with life choices, to chase these matters but hey, I still had the C123…

That was until of course, we lost the garage to park it in, and a nice gent from Essex came to buy it, and if you still have the car and are reading this, hope it's been a great enjoyment for you, as it was for us.

With no time or money to spare, the car had to go and with it my dream of V8 123 coupe.

So I am at present, the proud owner of a 560 117 V8 W123 engine kit, with nice wheels, new 126 brakes, exhaust, tons of new genuine engine bits and various other bits required, less a gearbox of course, which I can arrange on the new garage floor, sit amongst, and make many impersonations of engine noise I wish…when I have the time…or part company with it to someone who fancies a 123 hot rod…anyone?

As for the expert, I emailed him a few weeks ago, just to jog his fading memory in the vein hope that he will remember our original agreements, and of course to apologize for not being in touch, or dropping by North Devon for a nice tea and chat…

And yes I’ve learned some lessons in the past few years…that trust and honorability is a rare commodity these days

Thanks to all who stuck with my sad tale, sorry it didn’t turn out to be as cool and completed as Jaymaneks project to read about.

All the best, stay safe

Hi, Zappa, great intention, sorry it didn't go through. I'm interested in picking up the parts for a reasonable price. I'm undecided between doing an m117 or om606 turbo with a manual swap on a w123 300d. If you'd be kind to list the exact parts you still have and a lump sum price, I might be able to make an offer as I'm still in budgeting phase for the build.

Regards,

Hi, Zappa, great intention, sorry it didn't go through. I'm interested in picking up the parts for a reasonable price. I'm undecided between doing an m117 or om606 turbo with a manual swap on a w123 300d. If you'd be kind to list the exact parts you still have and a lump sum price, I might be able to make an offer as I'm still in budgeting phase for the build.

Regards,
Hello 249w123, welcome to the forum...
M117 or OM606 super turbo is a choice dilemma indeed, both would give you a massive grin on your face when driven, both sound awesome when built well, but getting to that point would probably be cheaper, and more economical to run with the OM606 conversion.
The M117 costs lots more in component parts, and is more challenging to set up, electrics being an example, so something to think about...
I notice you have a 300d, which would be easier to convert to the 606, along with it being a mechanical system (with the right pump) so no messing about with lots of engine management and wiring as you would with the M117.
For me, if I went ahead with the project, I would have to start from scratch with the electrics as I bought an engine without the donor car electrics, ECU etc
At present my 'project' parts bin has cost, at a rough guess, about 4k, and I would still need to invest in another 2k of engine parts and work to finish the engine rebuild, then find a 'new' gearbox seeing as the one I had has gone AWOL thanks to the expert in North Devon who still won't contact me...
Anyway, sorry went off on a tangent there...
At present, the 'project' is in storage at the moment, and I'm still undecided what direction to take, but have no time to do anything at the moment, but if I do decide to sell the lot, I'll let you know.
Sorry I can't be more helpful right now, but I wish you the best whichever direction you choose, all the best...

Was it just the adapter plate that was holding things up? Or was it just another excuse?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom