W124 Brake or SLS Pipes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jag_dhami

Car
W124
Hi all, this is my first post so please be patient... Just got my E220 W124 Estate back from a MOT, at 203,000 passed but with one advisory.

The MOT garage notes the brakes pipes as slighty correded. As they are thicker than standard brake pipes they are unable to replace these from their own brand pipes.

Now I've rang the local MB Dealers and they seem to think its the SLS pipes that need replacing and not the brake pipes??? I'm rather confused now so I've attached a few pics and I'm hoping some clever soul on here can clarify for me.

Basically there is a twin run of pipes from the back resevoir to the rear actuator (I belive) along the drivers side.

Attachments

• IMG_0390.jpg
    IMG_0390.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0391.jpg
    IMG_0391.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0392.jpg
    IMG_0392.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 74
The brake pipes, fuel and vent pipes normally run along the nearside[ passenger side RHD CAR] so most likely its the SLS pipes If the pipes are only corroded in one accessible place they can POSSIBLY be repaired with a replacement section of pipe?

that photo is of the SLS pipes and shouldnt fail unless leaking

rub them down a bit and put some wax oil on and it should pass, leaving you to replace them at your will.

the brake line are on the other side of the car - there should be 3 pipes running along the car - 2 of them are fuel pipes and the smaller one is the brake line.

explain to the boss of the garage and ask him to show you the corroded brake pipes. then leave him red faced as you tell him they are suspension pipes and ask for your pass sheet.

Wow that was quick, can you confirm the thing he is pointing at (his fingers) is the Actuator?

Yes this will leave them red faced! They passed the MOT check, but raised this as an advisory so indeed I will get these fixed at a later date. Maybe thats why they are thicker than normal brake pipes.

Also if I only replace the rusting sections can anyone suggest where I may get some replacement?

Thanks again.

The thing he is pointing at is the hydraulic line to the differential for the ASD system..

The lines running along the drivers side are SLS/ASD pipes, the left side are fuel/brake.

Resurrecting an old thread but does anyone know if it's possible to have the ASD pipes made up? I have a leak from one of mine on my C124 300CE. It seems a bit thicker than normal brake-piping diameter.

Went to the MB dealer today and it seems that some of these pipes are NLA.

Thanks in advance.

We buy it from a local hose supplier. If you are not sure where your local one is just ask a garage who they use for pipes...

Many thanks

Who is your local supplier? Shropshire isn't a million miles from Warwickshire.

:thumb:

Morning All, resurrecting an old thread...

The 300TD failed its mot yesterday on SLS. Tester said the pipe had been cut and crimped, which is nonsense.

In the attached pictures you can see it. This is the NS of a RHD car. Would I be correct in saying this is a fuel breather pipe and what (if anything) should I do about it?

The SLS system, although sitting a bit low (need to look at that), is intact and it flows and returns nice clean fluid.

Can someone help please as I’m off to mot garage today to have a row, as my son took it yesterday and was at their mercy.

Ta, M

Attachments

• 67A49768-2814-422C-AF17-3B96558E7878.jpeg
    67A49768-2814-422C-AF17-3B96558E7878.jpeg
    900.7 KB · Views: 23
Mercedes Benz EPC 124.193 Chassis Information Everything Benz
SLF LEVELING-- the car might have had an ASD [ HYDRAULIC LIMITED SLIP DIFF] at one point which was replaced by a conventional diff- that would explain the blanked off hydraulic pipe
https://images.ilcats.ru/getImage.p...126.png&hash=86ef1d0c0cfe96b51a88465cc1ba185b
and
https://images.ilcats.ru/getImage.p...126.png&hash=36d04149e9151f0591242b31d3338c36

BRAKES -- quite simple T junction arrangement
https://images.ilcats.ru/getImage.p...516.png&hash=f40ef980485f2eb956ea2aec6564acc3

Bumping an old thread instead of creating a new one.
The high pressure hose from the ASD pump (same as SLS) to the rigid pipes in the engine bay gave way yesterday. It is my intention to get one made up locally. In the mean time does anyone know if driving the car without any fluid will damage the pump?
Also, has anyone had this pipe replaced? It has a number of plastic inserts within the hose and I was wondering if places that build the hoses up are happy to re-use the old components.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom