W124 Central locking retrofit?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kirbstone

Car
MB W124 Estate 2.0 petrol 1995
I am seriously considering buying a 1994 W124 E200 petrol Estate which I have been to see once. It is in beautiful condition but to my surprise it doesn't have central door locking.

My 1995 example has central locking and I wondered is it possible to have this retro-fitted to the 1994 model

Tom K.

It should have central locking , it was standard equipment , most likely it is just not working - start with the vacuum pump under the back seat .

Tom you can fit a remote set up if you wanted ,so you can lock the car with a push of the key fob .Not expensive about £20 check them on ebay Bit you will need to remove the door cards to fix them in

It will have central locking ---- from the drivers door lock- what it may not have is remote/keyless locking via an infra red key. If the pneumatic central locking is working OK -- failure may be down to the pump under the rear seat or vacuum leaks as has been said---- adding a remote radio/infrared based locking/alarm facility [often combined] should be easy.
e.g.
PeachPartsWiki: Keyless Entry Install

Last edited:
Grober just thought the vacuum must be working for thr retro fit central locking to work right yes..

deleted

Thanks guys for your helpful information. When I visited last, his wife showed me the car, but didn't know anything about the door locking.

I can now talk turkey with the present owner.

Tom.

Central locking just means that when you operate one of the external locks ( either front door , or the boot ) the whole car will lock/unlock (this was implemented as far back as the facelift W114/115 cars , which were the first I saw with it , although they used stored vacuum from the engine instead of a pump ) . Some late W124 cars had an infrared receiver on the driver's door ( with red/green flashing LED's ) instead of a key lock , which allowed the car to be locked/unlocked from a fob ; there was also a Mercedes-Benz alarm system with RF fobs which linked to the central locking system , my late 190E LE has this .

Another feature of later W124's is comfort locking : if you hold the key in the locked position for a few seconds , any open windows plus the sunroof will close , alternatively , on a hot day , you can hold the key in the unlock position to open the windows before you get into the car .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom