• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

w202 fault code reader

maf155

Car
alfa 155
Can any one recommend a fault code reader for my 1998 c280?
one that does it all, reads /clears codes , service light and so on.

thanks,
matthew.

Short of a full STAR system, iCarsoft is good value for money. Whatever you get, make sure it's specifically stated that it handles SRS/ABS/Transmission codes.

The cheap bluetooth ELM scanners are only good for reading engine/generic codes.

Can any one recommend a fault code reader for my 1998 c280?
one that does it all, reads /clears codes , service light and so on.

thanks,
matthew.

The W202 requires Carsoft v7.4. You cannot use the elm units on the w202 as the connector is the large round type and is not ODB2.

The W202 requires Carsoft v7.4. You cannot use the elm units on the w202 as the connector is the large round type and is not ODB2.

obd3.JPG

Thanks for the help. Typing from my phone.
Looked at v74 on ebay and found some kits for £ 80 ish with all the cables. Tho the seller says i will need a comp with rs232 port or rs232 to usb calble.
Is this what you guys use ?

Thanks for the help. Typing from my phone.
Looked at v74 on ebay and found some kits for £ 80 ish with all the cables. Tho the seller says i will need a comp with rs232 port or rs232 to usb calble.
Is this what you guys use ?

Carsoft 7.4 loads on to the laptop.

You then need a multiplexer unit and cables to connect the the laptop to the car interface, (At the time I purchased this from a Chinese supplier)

Carsoft 7.4 is good for the W202 as it allows you to reset the gearbox and throttle adaptations.

If you read this thread, someone has the whole kit for sale....

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/parts-maintenance-servicing/221446-obd2-reader-clk-230-w208.html

Last edited:
great stuff:thumb: i do all my own spannering but really want to learn the tech side with the diagnostics.

i did notice on ebay that some were from china... but wasnt sure of how good they would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom